Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201388 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #10890 on: July 20, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »
You guys have some strange wildlife.

We get the occasional possum. Big ones, one climbed our baby apple tree to get at the fruit and the whole tree fell over. Foxes sometimes, and deer apparently although I've never seen one. Wallabies. The worst are the cockatoos, they destroy anything they can get their beaks on. The kookaburras make me nervous when they hang around the backyard. It'a likely they're looking for their favourite food. Snakes. And most of the snakes around here are deadly fuckers.

Says the member from Down Under.  :spitscreen:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10891 on: July 20, 2018, 07:16:15 PM »
You guys have some strange wildlife.

We get the occasional possum. Big ones, one climbed our baby apple tree to get at the fruit and the whole tree fell over. Foxes sometimes, and deer apparently although I've never seen one. Wallabies. The worst are the cockatoos, they destroy anything they can get their beaks on. The kookaburras make me nervous when they hang around the backyard. It'a likely they're looking for their favourite food. Snakes. And most of the snakes around here are deadly fuckers.

No YOU guys have some strange wildlife.
I live in a small town, not out in the countryside. I could throw a rock across two neighbor's yards and it would land three doors down.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10892 on: July 20, 2018, 10:28:03 PM »
I live in suburbia and so we don't get wildlife except for birds. And yep, cockatoos are destructive. Most nights a flock of them do a general flyover here, shouting all the while.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10893 on: July 20, 2018, 11:11:20 PM »
Yesterday we fed one sulphur crested cockatoo some bread. Because this one has been visiting us for 5 years and has some distinctive mannerisms.

And this morning.... 30 of them turn up. Literally.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #10894 on: July 20, 2018, 11:31:46 PM »
Yesterday we fed one sulphur crested cockatoo some bread. Because this one has been visiting us for 5 years and has some distinctive mannerisms.

And this morning.... 30 of them turn up. Literally.

Ha, what an idiot! Classic MOSW, Goofy MF
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10895 on: July 20, 2018, 11:47:51 PM »
ROFL. One of them reminded me of you, Al. I think he was a bit simple, but he was strutting around like he was king of the cockies. Unaware of what a dickhead he looked like.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10896 on: July 21, 2018, 02:01:50 AM »
ROFL. One of them reminded me of you, Al. I think he was a bit simple, but he was strutting around like he was king of the cockies. Unaware of what a dickhead he looked like.

He thinks about me outside of this board and projects an image of me on the local fauna and flora.

Classic MOSW
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10897 on: July 21, 2018, 02:18:08 AM »
You're more like a seagull than a cockatoo come to think of it.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10898 on: July 21, 2018, 02:55:59 AM »
You're more like a seagull than a cockatoo come to think of it.

Now reconsidering what kind of bird I am. Classic MOSW

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10899 on: July 21, 2018, 03:02:13 AM »
Get away from my chips, noisy fucking seagull.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10900 on: July 21, 2018, 03:09:39 AM »
Get away from my chips, noisy fucking seagull.

Ha, delusional to the point that he thinks I am a bird and close enough to him to eat some alleged chips. What a dickhead. Classic MOSW

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10901 on: July 21, 2018, 05:42:17 AM »
*Throws rock at seagull Al*

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10902 on: July 21, 2018, 09:13:47 AM »
Got to admit, if there is a deity, he must have been smoking something pretty potent when he designed the australian continent. Where else would you find something venomous that looks like the bastard child of a beaver and a duck and sex chromosomes that...there aren't even words to describe ? or a snake that looks for all the world like a viper, has mobile fangs like a viper, but is one of the elapids (the death adders), and AFAIK the only jellyfish which have stinging cells not only on the tentacles, but on their bells, as well as delivering venom through the tip of the discharged barbs  of fired nematocysts, akin to a syringe, rather than as most jellyfish do, in which the sting could be better compared to a whip coated in venom (the irukandji if you were wondering, tiny little box jellyfish no bigger than a fingernail, but potentially lethal to humans. Can get right through the stinger-nets used to keep Chironex (the better known box jellyfish, aka the sea-wasp) out, due to the tiny size.

And in a place that seems positively teeming with critters that want to rip your face off, of all the weird surprises, the scorpions, plenty of them, are pretty much harmless.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10903 on: July 21, 2018, 01:11:27 PM »
I like to think the whole world used to be like that and Australia is the only part where all that still exists.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10904 on: July 21, 2018, 02:12:11 PM »
Well IIRC they have found fossil platypus relatives in argentina, so you are probably at least half right, if not totally, they (or at least, early monotremata) were definitely present on gondwana, prior to the geological splitting of the supercontinent, presumably whilst the arctic was not so cold as it is now (platypus are endotherms, but with a much higher tolerance for cold, and for longer periods than are reptiles)

Its kind of ironic really, about australian life, they have the nastiest of anything, bar spiders (the most venomous, or certainly most dangerous being a far larger relative of the recluse spiders, the genus Sicarius, a similar, powerfully cytotoxic venom based on sphingomyelinase-D, not highly aggressive, at least from reports of those in the exotic pet trade, but lightening quick, and if you DO get bitten, there is absolutely bugger all that can be done, the venom is similar in action to that of the viperine snakes, rotting flesh and causing massive systemic  clotting of the blood, rarely ever come into contact with people so bites are rare, not australian natives, african with one exception, found in south america, but beats the shit out of any ozzy spider for sheer unpleasantness)

But for all the funnelwebs, mouse spiders, taipan, tiger snake,  brown snake etc. and giant centipedes, the place  evolves scorpions  to completely fuck the usual order of things where scorpions are concerned. They tend to take two overall 'design patterns', either with delicate, thin claws and correspondingly, with less physical strength and durability, evolve much more potent venom (E.g deathstalkers and many other Buthids, as well as Hemiscorpius, (H.lepturus in particular), which unusually for a  non-Buthid scorpion, has extremely potent venom, and again unusual, its a cytotoxic, necrotizing type venom, almost all scorpions relying on neurotoxic cocktails in their stings), the other option being scorpions with massive claws, built to smash and crush, and physically rip their prey apart, like the big hefty imperial scorpion, venom no worse than a bee sting reportedly, but with claws  like boxing gloves, so they don't really need potent venom.

Ozzy scorpions seem to have a mix of both, but all, but all of them seem to have pretty weak venom, even the australian Buthidae (almost all clinically dangerous scorpions are Buthids, Hemiscorpius being the main exception, with H.lepturus of iran, causing over 80% of fatalities due to scorpion sting, which is quite something considering the other main dangerous scorpion common to the area being Androctonus crassicauda, one of the deadly fat-tailed scorpions [note-Parabuthus spp. are also known as fat-tailed scorpions, but are only related due to being both members of the Buthidae family, and unlike Androctonus, Parabuthus can fire venom from the sting, like the arachnid equivalent of spitting cobras, although perhaps more akin to the mangshan viper, which doesn't direct the venom with the great accuracy of cobras, more flinging or flicking it towards the target]
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.