Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 202737 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #10845 on: July 16, 2018, 03:41:19 PM »
Thinking about the open carry laws.

Where?

The phrase,  "open carry"  automatically means a reference to my Second Amendment Rights, here in this land.  Everyone knows how I feel about that, so not much more I can add.

But municipalities all over this land have set up ordinances for even walking down the street with a beer in your hand. Even unopened carry of wine, beer or liquor is restricted in many cities, especially after certain evening hours. With weaponry, it can be even more ridiculous.

Many of the larger cities in this land have actually tried to restrict open carry Federal Rights and they all happen to be some of the most crime ridden places in the nation.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as law abiding as most of us.
All of my "friends"  on the two Indiana and Michigan gun guy sites I visit are law abiding citizens and we carry (open or concealed) for an infinite number of reasons.
First and foremost, as law abiding citizens, it is our constitutionally protected right. Any of the other reasons come after that one.

NOW, we ALL agreed on this federal constitution and for those who want to back out can do so with no questions asked, but they can not back the rest of us out of what WE ALL agreed upon, many years ago.

There are some places, though, as I mentioned earlier in the week. Cops were nervous about the proximity to a school and a random unknown person carrying something they suspected might have been a firearm.
Lots to talk about in that regard.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10846 on: July 16, 2018, 04:07:13 PM »

Where?

The phrase,  "open carry"  automatically means a reference to my Second Amendment Rights, here in this land.  Everyone knows how I feel about that, so not much more I can add.

But municipalities all over this land have set up ordinances for even walking down the street with a beer in your hand. Even unopened carry of wine, beer or liquor is restricted in many cities, especially after certain evening hours. With weaponry, it can be even more ridiculous.

Many of the larger cities in this land have actually tried to restrict open carry Federal Rights and they all happen to be some of the most crime ridden places in the nation.

All of my "friends"  on the two Indiana and Michigan gun guy sites I visit are law abiding citizens and we carry (open or concealed) for an infinite number of reasons.
First and foremost, as law abiding citizens, it is our constitutionally protected right. Any of the other reasons come after that one.

NOW, we ALL agreed on this federal constitution and for those who want to back out can do so with no questions asked, but they can not back the rest of us out of what WE ALL agreed upon, many years ago.

There are some places, though, as I mentioned earlier in the week. Cops were nervous about the proximity to a school and a random unknown person carrying something they suspected might have been a firearm.

To answer your first question: in the US, not more specifically than that.

I'm wondering if the second amendment really was intended to cover openly carrying that thing in the Youtube video. AFAIK, the amendment discusses the right to a militia and your founding fathers had quite a bit of discussion around that.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10847 on: July 16, 2018, 04:48:53 PM »
In New Orleans open carry means you can carry your alcoholic beverage out of the bar in a styrofoam or similar cup, but not in a glass unless it is in a cardboard open top sleeve/box. (Too much danger of broken glass in the French Quarter.)

In the rest of Louisiana it means that if you buy a daquiri from the drive-thru the plastic cover must remain intact until you arrive at your destination.  No piercing the cover with a straw.  There are 4 drive-thrus within 5 minutes of my house.  Hic.

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #10848 on: July 16, 2018, 06:05:22 PM »
When I see a douchebag with an open carry gun....I leave the building ASAP. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #10849 on: July 16, 2018, 07:41:57 PM »
In New Orleans open carry means you can carry your alcoholic beverage out of the bar in a styrofoam or similar cup, but not in a glass unless it is in a cardboard open top sleeve/box. (Too much danger of broken glass in the French Quarter.)

In the rest of Louisiana it means that if you buy a daquiri from the drive-thru the plastic cover must remain intact until you arrive at your destination.  No piercing the cover with a straw.  There are 4 drive-thrus within 5 minutes of my house.  Hic.

Drive thru daiquiri shops, I miss them.  :thumbup:
:gopher:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10850 on: July 16, 2018, 07:45:58 PM »

Drive thru daiquiri shops, I miss them.  :thumbup:

They do finally seem to be spreading to other parts of the country.  There's a lot of things wrong with New Orleans, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the USA. 

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10851 on: July 16, 2018, 10:37:46 PM »

Where?

To answer your first question: in the US, not more specifically than that.

I'm wondering if the second amendment really was intended to cover openly carrying that thing in the Youtube video. AFAIK, the amendment discusses the right to a militia and your founding fathers had quite a bit of discussion around that.

True.
Back when I was still in the music business, I used to write my own bi-lateral/mutually binding contractual documents. Hardly ever had problems except for an occasional breach, never mine. Used a set of documents for many years and then got fancy. I had a lawyer look them over. I heard things like:
You need a comma here.
You need to remove this period and make this one sentence.
You have an extra comma. Take this one out.
Etc.

The devil was in the details as some say. I had drawn up very good, dual binding contracts, but they were not lawyer bullet proof. YET. I had them "fixed."  Only problem was that they became immediately something more than an agreement between two working pals. I was suddenly having to have contracts inspected and possibly revised by the other party's own lawyers, instead of just signing them and shaking hands.

SO looking back at that Second Amendment, from what I learned in my experience, there might possibly be too many commas.
It changes dramatically with removal of one and more so with another. Again remove another two and chaos or certainty.  Pretty sure it was done on purpose. I think it is interesting how few times the Supreme Court has had a say on this question.

In the old days (late 1800s and early 20th century, two very well known cases - look them up if you want me to do so. Every one time NRA member has ignored them for years)  there seemed to be more of a focus on the "well regulated militia"  phrasing and some people lost a bit of right with those two decisions. 

One of them had to do with a sawed off shotgun and to me that type of weapon has no use in a militia nor on a hunting trip. However, in protecting my own indoor household, I would enjoy to still have that option. As for now I use my hunting shotgun as my main "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" weapon. Its barrel is twenty two inches long, but a twelve inch barrel would be much lighter and easier to wield as a simple self defense weapon. That particular type of design is not legal to own under any circumstance after that ruling.

More currently, it seems as if the rights of the individual are the focus of the more recent decision. I found this quote with one Wiki search:

“The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.”

That does not address open carry at all, however if you were to read the entire court ruling, there is a lot more. I believe that all states have well defined open carry AND concealed carry laws and they generally seem almost insane to me. As a law abiding citizen, I will be one of the last to give up my chance to keep my family and "friends" safe while in my company.

Don't like my Colt tucked under my arm when we go shopping for records then do not come. We both have choices.  ... at least at this point in time.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:26:27 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10852 on: July 16, 2018, 10:42:25 PM »
Interesting points about the mutual increasing lawyering-up. An arms race of words.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10853 on: July 16, 2018, 10:50:55 PM »
Interesting points about the mutual increasing lawyering-up. An arms race of words.

That is exactly what it turned into after I first consulted a lawyer.
Once I was no longer working for four figures per night and my expenses had gone through the roof, I was getting jobs in the low to mid five figure per night. I had to "get smarter." 
NO better way to end a week than when a client decides his promotion did not work well for him and instead of sixty thousand dollars for a week end you come home with forty AND thirty nine or so worth of labor and travel expenses. I needed a lawyer.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10854 on: July 16, 2018, 11:11:41 PM »
Odeon, I forgot you were mentioning that video.

I have mixed feelings about those weapons. I have no need for one, personally.
Now some time back I was an avid hunter. I took my limit of deer every year and got many peccary and feral hogs over the years and I never used something like that.
I do have a semi-auto .223 caliber Ruger Mini 14; still own two of them. Both are scope sighted and have a sling for carry on a trail. The model name was "Ranch Rifle" and it served me well hunting feral hogs and helping out ranchers with feral dog, coyote and wolf packs raiding their barns, stalls and herds.

As far as functionality, they both do the exact same thing as one of those Colt type AR- 15 whatevers they make these days with all the collapsible stocks, pistol grips and multi round magazines, but it was not so scary looking without all that.

In all honesty, once you are out hunting you are generally quite lucky to get a shot or two or maybe three if you are chasing a pack of wild dogs or a herd of feral hogs. You would never need to have a thirty round magazine, so not so scary looking, but the actual more user friendly ranch rifle worked the same.

Usually for deer I used a MUCH more powerful rifle, such as an ancient 30-06 (WWI caliber) or maybe even a 300 Magnum (more modern, very powerful) for places where long shots were the only way to bring down game.

As far as that guy in the vid, he was taunting cops and being an asshole, period!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:14:32 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10855 on: July 17, 2018, 02:09:02 AM »
I don't see why anyone would need one of those weapons, tbh.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10856 on: July 17, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »
I have mixed feelings about the Second Amendment.  I am not sure a "well regulated militia" is useful in an all out 21st century war.  But if gun owners were made to belong to a government militia perhaps some of the owners who have antisocial ideas might have their guns taken away.  This assumes every able bodied person (male and female) is in the militia for life. Yes I know this whole paragraph is pie in the sky and would never come to pass.

Because people intent on breaking the law I can see the need for personal guns.  But I am tired of reading of deaths because someone didn't lock up the gun or thought the gun wasn't loaded.  But I also realize that these losses are inherent in gun ownership.

BTW - I have a Ruger that is rusted in the barrel, a rifle and a BB pistol.  I have 2 bullets somewhere in the house and no BBs.  But I love the feeling and weight of the BB pistol in my hand.  You wouldn't believe how many "bad guys" I've killed with it.  Love shooting that gun.    :litigious:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10857 on: July 17, 2018, 12:32:47 PM »
Well, a "well-regulated militia" would be utterly pointless today, wouldn't it? There is no way such a thing could fight the federal government. There might have been some naivety from the founding fathers, or simply that they could not possibly know what was ahead.

But then, they envisioned change, didn't they? An update of the second amendment is long overdue.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #10858 on: July 17, 2018, 02:01:26 PM »
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10859 on: July 17, 2018, 04:00:32 PM »
Maybe not on a large scale, odeon.  But at least a good sniper could pop that greasy orange melon on the crown prince imbecile :D

Would be funny as hell, watching him go from incoherent speech/banging his fists and feet on the floor screaming when someone doesn't agree with him, to seeing his skull explode in a gout of brain matter (well, more like a scrap or two, if someone were to take samples very thoroughly with an electron microscope :autism:) and slime, after somebody plugs him with a .50 cal raufoss round right in the face.

Giving a whole new meaning to the nursery rhyme 'pop goes the weasel' :D
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.