Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201383 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #9075 on: October 30, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »
*hugs QV and sends a hug for the PR too*

Kills me to think of what you two must be feeling, I hate to see either of you miserable :(
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9076 on: October 30, 2016, 08:16:43 PM »
People who throw me under the bus keep getting a harsh dose of reality.......you can throw me down.....I WON'T stay down!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9077 on: October 31, 2016, 05:41:12 AM »
People were taken aback when I said I'd given PA's body to the medical school.  Evidently it's not a common thing here.  It solved a host of problems.  He always said he didn't care what happened to him after he died since he wouldn't know anything about it.  I took him at his word.

A memorial service is in the planning stages (i.e. we'll do one sometime in November)

I think it's an excellent choice.  I need to write a will and specify that I want my own body donated.
  I think my brother and sister can handle the idea of me not being buried in the family plot, which I
  can't be unless I have a Catholic funeral, which ain't happening, because I'm not gonna be a hypocrite.  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9078 on: October 31, 2016, 07:09:58 AM »
Giant stitch blankets.

Stop tempting me. :GA:

I was looking at those before. They look so snugly...and warm...but totally not easily washable.

*sigh*

I've had a look at them too a while ago. They are really quick to knit. Take a lot of "yarn". Somehow I can't look at them without imagining draft coming through the openings in the stitches.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9079 on: October 31, 2016, 07:11:33 AM »
Really? Grandmother same day as my Mum.

:hug:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9080 on: October 31, 2016, 07:12:14 AM »
Those rituals are for the benefit of the living. Clearly you would not be benefiting. Everyone has to grieve in their own way and I don't think you should feel guilty if your way doesn't match others'.
This, indeed.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9081 on: October 31, 2016, 07:13:49 AM »
Those rituals are for the benefit of the living.
Sometimes also about honoring the wishes of the dead.

But the dead are dead. The needs of the living are more important than the wishes of the dead. Though doing things completely different than the dead would have wanted would not make a good ritual either. Because then you are taking leave of a person different than the one who died.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9082 on: October 31, 2016, 07:15:49 AM »
People were taken aback when I said I'd given PA's body to the medical school.  Evidently it's not a common thing here.  It solved a host of problems.  He always said he didn't care what happened to him after he died since he wouldn't know anything about it.  I took him at his word.

A memorial service is in the planning stages (i.e. we'll do one sometime in November)

I think it's an excellent choice.  I need to write a will and specify that I want my own body donated.
  I think my brother and sister can handle the idea of me not being buried in the family plot, which I
  can't be unless I have a Catholic funeral, which ain't happening, because I'm not gonna be a hypocrite.  :laugh:

They don't accept bodies offered to medical science any more. Unless you have some exotic stuff going on. Autistic brains can be donated. But that still leaves a lot of body to deal with in another way.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9083 on: October 31, 2016, 08:51:34 AM »

Best not to let your wishes known in a will.  That's not read/used until well after you're dead.  An Act of Donation made while you're alive (simply a form from the Med School) is what you need to fill out.  If we had done this before PA died, we would not have been responsible for the cost of transporting his body from the hospital to the Med School, about $500. 

Are you sure you need to have a Catholic funeral?  Things are changing quickly.  When I was growing up, cremation was forbidden, suicides were not buried in sacred ground, etc.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9084 on: October 31, 2016, 08:53:46 AM »

They don't accept bodies offered to medical science any more. Unless you have some exotic stuff going on. Autistic brains can be donated. But that still leaves a lot of body to deal with in another way.

Freaky weird, but you can donate (ahead of time) to the Federal government to be used to train cadaver dogs, investigate crime details , etc.  It's the Body Farm in Virginia.  That one I had some reservations about.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9085 on: October 31, 2016, 09:35:34 AM »

Freaky weird, but you can donate (ahead of time) to the Federal government to be used to train cadaver dogs, investigate crime details , etc.  It's the Body Farm in Virginia.  That one I had some reservations about.
Wonder if they would be willing to pay transportation all the way from Europe. As far as I know there is not something like the bodyfarm in Eurpe.

If I would do that,  one of my kids might try to become a pathologist....

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9086 on: October 31, 2016, 12:58:25 PM »
I like this month's flat.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9087 on: October 31, 2016, 06:54:04 PM »
I like this month's flat.

Does it look sharp?

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #9088 on: October 31, 2016, 07:06:33 PM »
Those rituals are for the benefit of the living.
Sometimes also about honoring the wishes of the dead.

But the dead are dead. The needs of the living are more important than the wishes of the dead. Though doing things completely different than the dead would have wanted would not make a good ritual either. Because then you are taking leave of a person different than the one who died.
If husband goes first, it's entirely possible he wont get what he wants. Though the same is probably true for me.

Because then you are taking leave of a person different than the one who died.
Read this a few times and can't register what it means.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #9089 on: October 31, 2016, 07:32:47 PM »
Somehow I can't look at them without imagining draft coming through the openings in the stitches.
Had that thought too. Also on closer inspection, the large yarn is often inconsistent within the strand, and many people selling them maybe haven't perfected their technique for consistency of sizing and tension of the stitches. The ones which appear to have higher quality materials and better skilled construction all seem to be outside of the US. It's feeling like a bit of gamble. :laugh: