Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 200899 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #10560 on: March 15, 2018, 09:13:05 PM »
I want this set of cups:
Same. The Hufflefuck one has to be my favourite.  :spitscreen:
Mine too! :D
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10561 on: March 16, 2018, 01:34:36 AM »

I think that there are quite a few of us who had to deal with some of those accidents this past winter.

(See how I did that; I put winter in the past.)

It came back. Again. >:(

-8C here, right now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10562 on: March 17, 2018, 01:00:11 PM »
I wish my foot would hurry the flying fuck up and heal already, enough to get a lift down to the cashpoint so I can find out my bank balance. I know I've got a good few hundred, possibly as much as a grand, or more, since I've been stuck in the house and spent very little for quite a while, largely because I don't know how much exactly I have.

I want to be able to hurry up and buy myself a new vacuum pump, of the diaphragm pump type, and one thats both able to give a powerful vacuum and ideally one with a built in vacuum/pressure gauge in the unit itself, and adjustable vac regulator built into the pump. I've seen some on ebay that have this sort of setup, and whats rather neat, is that they have both a vacuum and a compressor function, two separate outlets that can be used for both functions, one compressor and the other for pulling a vacuum. No oil needed, being a diaphragm pump and what is especially neat is that there are some like this with a teflon-coated interior, which is intended to help protect the pump internals from the kind of nasty, reactive, corrosive gases, vapors, mists etc. that are likely to end up needing to be vacuum-distilled, such as when purifying over the counter 98% sulfuric acid, which has a very high boiling point, but can be distilled in vacuo, and I'd definitely like one of those for the lab. Cost is about half a grand to 600, USD.

And it'll be useful for something I've been meaning to get around to for quite a while, namely converting a couple of gallons of antifreeze undiluted concentrate to 1,4-dioxane, a cyclic diether, by using strong, hot sulfuric acid  to dehydrate and condense two moles of ethylene glycol with elimination of H2O, and distilling off the dioxane as  it forms, for a rather nifty little process for metallothermic reduction of alkali metal hydroxides to alkali metals using magnesium dust mixed with the hydroxide, after roasting the latter to dryness and mixing the two as fine powder in a crucible, covering it with a slab of stone and weighting it down, just before the strip of magnesium ribbon inserted into the charge to ignite it burns into the mixture, which then undergoes a thermite-type reaction and reduces NaOH to Na metal and Mg(OH)2, or KOH to potassium metal, rubidium or caesium hydroxides to the respective metals, producing a pretty much homogenous, cement-like slag that has the alkali metal dispersed throughout it, which is then put into a blender filled with inert gas and ground to dust.

It appears that the physical chemical properties, be it surface tension, polarity, density or whatever other property responsible, or properties responsible, makes 1,4-dioxane the perfect solvent for the refinement process on the slag, which involves adding the powdered slag to a wide-necked flask purged with argon gas, which has been partially filled with 1,4-dioxane so as to cover the slag completely and give at least a couple of inches overhead, and then heating the flask to the melting point of the metal, which is made easier due to its being finely dispersed within the slag, the dioxane also provides a protective blanket over the reactive metal.

All nicely electrolysis-free, a lot of fiddling about avoided for molten salt electrolysis cells etc. and good yields, starting from two kinds of drain cleaner and antifreeze, resulting in both large quantities of alkali sodium/potassium etc. and the 1,4-dioxane which can then be recycled by distillation and reused either for the same purpose or other things.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10563 on: March 20, 2018, 01:27:22 PM »

I think that there are quite a few of us who had to deal with some of those accidents this past winter.

(See how I did that; I put winter in the past.)

It came back. Again. >:(

-8C here, right now.

Here too. Well not quite as cold (-5.5 Centigrade, 22 Fahrenheit. This morning my car looked like Old Man Winter had a sneezing fit all over it), but well below average for "The First Day Of Spring"  around here. Usually that March sun just starts to kick winter's ass.

Warm to come, surely! I still want winter in the past, especially this particular one. :zombiefuck:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10564 on: March 21, 2018, 02:47:19 AM »
Yup, it's well below average here, too. Spring will come, but this feels more like the winters of my youth, up north.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10565 on: March 23, 2018, 05:44:46 AM »
Yup, it's well below average here, too. Spring will come, but this feels more like the winters of my youth, up north.

Today seems about typical considering recent patterns, but late tonight, we are to start an eighteen hour day (Saturday) of constant precipitation at below to just freezing temperatures. The predictions are for between six and eight inches of accumulation of wet snow and sleet.
 :o

Much warmer next week, though, maybe. This shit will not last long!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10566 on: March 24, 2018, 02:08:35 AM »

Today seems about typical considering recent patterns, but late tonight, we are to start an eighteen hour day (Saturday) of constant precipitation at below to just freezing temperatures. The predictions are for between six and eight inches of accumulation of wet snow and sleet.
 :o

Much warmer next week, though, maybe. This shit will not last long!

Our cold nights are the real problem right now. Things get wet during daytime, then freeze over.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10567 on: March 24, 2018, 10:00:59 AM »
It's not really best to continue a personal war right now.  But damn her.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10568 on: April 02, 2018, 06:36:07 PM »

Six inches of snow on Easter Sunday.

My kids and I took  long midnight walk in the snow last night. Met our new neighbor who was doing the same.

Right now, I am listening to Revolver; the song playing is  "I'm only Sleeping"   one of the best ever, regardless, but Beatles - no way to "beat"  it!!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10569 on: April 02, 2018, 07:03:56 PM »
My very first Social Security "retirement" check is due this week!

:woohoo:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10570 on: April 02, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »
Cool! I think that means that you're quite a bit younger than my parents. They have been getting retirement payments for years.

Do they still give you cheques over there?
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10571 on: April 02, 2018, 10:11:57 PM »
Cool! I think that means that you're quite a bit younger than my parents. They have been getting retirement payments for years.

Do they still give you cheques over there?

Yes, bank checks.

We have to go to a bank and either deposit them or cash them.

Coming soon

I am sixty two and just qualified for such a benefit.
 :thumbup:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10572 on: April 02, 2018, 10:22:00 PM »
Wow, our money gets deposited directly into our bank accounts.

I got paid today. :)
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10573 on: April 02, 2018, 11:43:18 PM »
Thinking about coffee.

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10574 on: April 03, 2018, 10:09:56 PM »
Thinking about food but I have already eaten my lunch.
Tek'ma'tae