Author Topic: Copycat Jesus Mythicism  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Copycat Jesus Mythicism
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »
Silly indeed we all know Thoth is the only one that deserves worship :P
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 07:16:13 PM »
Same as why are people so quick to believe the likes of Rev Phelps, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Jones, amongst others? Easy. It;s because people are so easily duped. Faith requires gullibility, and most fundies be it Christian, Muslim, Moron (er.. Mormon), or whatever are gullible. Religion is a big form of spiritual penis-envy; a 'my god is better than your god thing'. Mostly, it's all belief (as I said) and mostly to all free-thinkers, it's all shite.

Yet, you already made a couple of claims that show you're quick to believe that the character and stories of Jesus were copied from other mythological/religious sources. And that is what I'm trying to get at. If the above quote is what you think, then why do many of us read the nonsense spouted by some frauds and click our fingers and go "Hey, these guys are definitely right" ignoring the fact that they cite no conclusive evidence for their findings?

You are trying to turn this into a discussion about religious beliefs while I'm trying to get this to be a discussion about some of the irrational beliefs that many atheists/agnostics hold.

Both are one in the same, when you get down to it. And why are atheist/agnostics put in the 'irrational' basket when fundie Christians etc would be just as at home in said basket? Neither party can prove themselves right or wrong, but to me the mythologies of Christianity should not be taken any more seriouly than Shakespeare or Tolstoy.

Osensitive1

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
Same as why are people so quick to believe the likes of Rev Phelps, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Jones, amongst others? Easy. It;s because people are so easily duped. Faith requires gullibility, and most fundies be it Christian, Muslim, Moron (er.. Mormon), or whatever are gullible. Religion is a big form of spiritual penis-envy; a 'my god is better than your god thing'. Mostly, it's all belief (as I said) and mostly to all free-thinkers, it's all shite.

Yet, you already made a couple of claims that show you're quick to believe that the character and stories of Jesus were copied from other mythological/religious sources. And that is what I'm trying to get at. If the above quote is what you think, then why do many of us read the nonsense spouted by some frauds and click our fingers and go "Hey, these guys are definitely right" ignoring the fact that they cite no conclusive evidence for their findings?

You are trying to turn this into a discussion about religious beliefs while I'm trying to get this to be a discussion about some of the irrational beliefs that many atheists/agnostics hold.
Why do you think it's irrational to conclude the stories of Jesus were copied from mythology? It's impossible to have any real evidence; only stories can be compared. Though this comparison would imply some level of logic or reason to make that connection. Maybe imprecise to believe wholeheartedly, but also not irrational.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 07:35:51 PM »

Both are one in the same, when you get down to it. And why are atheist/agnostics put in the 'irrational' basket when fundie Christians etc would be just as at home in said basket? Neither party can prove themselves right or wrong, but to me the mythologies of Christianity should not be taken any more seriouly than Shakespeare or Tolstoy.

Because we already know religious beliefs are irrational. And intellectual integrity is always expected from atheists and agnostics because they are, after all, expected to be rational and intellectually honest ... unlike people who espouse irrational religious beliefs.

Yeah, the Bible is full of bullshit, but still not the point of this thread.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »
Why do you think it's irrational to conclude the stories of Jesus were copied from mythology? It's impossible to have any real evidence; only stories can be compared. Though this comparison would imply some level of logic or reason to make that connection. Maybe imprecise to believe wholeheartedly, but also not irrational.

The problem is there isn't evidence conclusively showing a significant "cause & effect" connection between the stories in the New Testament Gospel Books and other mythologies. Nowhere in any of the other stories is there a connection such as described by certain "scholars". That's one of many reasons why all serious scholars and historians like Bart Ehrman and Richard Carrier believe the Jesus stories were original. Just because it has mythological elements in it doesn't mean it has to be copied from other sources.

I mean, can't a good story be original for a change? :)

Scrapheap

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »
Who else thinks it's ridiculous?

It's quite a ridiculous and irrational belief to espouse that one wonders why many skeptics who claim to be rational and "free thinkers" believe this shit.

Since when did atheists and seculars believe something without proper research?

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, check this site (for example):

http://www.truthbeknown.com/

It's confusing how some atheists/agnostics/what have you can be more intellectually dishonest than many Christian apologists.

Wasn't there some movie that spewed this same crap too??

Can't remeber the name right now, but it will come to me sooner or later.

Osensitive1

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 07:52:22 PM »
I mean, can't a good story be original for a change? :)
:laugh: Guess maybe it can.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 07:52:50 PM »

It's quite a ridiculous and irrational belief to espouse that one wonders why many skeptics who claim to be rational and "free thinkers" believe this shit.

It's confusing how some atheists/agnostics/what have you can be more intellectually dishonest than many Christian apologists.

Zeitgeist?

Scrapheap

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »

Zeitgeist?

Yeah, that's it!!

Yeah, this shit is poorly researched.

The only thing they got right is the general principle that religions plagerize their stories from earlier sources.

Truth be told, much of the Old Testament comes from the Cannanite Ugaritic Texts. The book of Psalms, for example, is a verbatim plagerizim from the Ugaritic sources.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »

Zeitgeist?

Yeah, that's it!!

The only thing they got right is the general principle that religions plagerize their stories from earlier sources.

Truth be told, much of the Old Testament comes from the Cannanite Ugaritic Texts. The book of Psalms, for example, is a verbatim plagerizim from the Ugaritic sources.

Well, it is widely accepted that stories like Noah and the Flood and such were copied and adapted from previous sources. That we can admit is correct.

But yeah, that video is crap. Conspiracy theories have always annoyed me.

Scrapheap

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 08:09:38 PM »

Some people ar just shitty atheists.  :dunno:

They put down religion and pick up something just as fucktarded.  :facepalm2:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »

Zeitgeist?

Yeah, that's it!!

Well, it is widely accepted that stories like Noah and the Flood and such were copied and adapted from previous sources. That we can admit is correct.

Stolen from the Epic of Gilgamesh. Truth be told it was due to the flooding of the Black Sea by an event that happened in the arctic part of Canada some 8000 years ago. Caused a tidal surge that flooded the Mediterranean and wiped out everyone in the area. 'Global' to those fuckers meant their direct neighbourhood.

Scrapheap

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »
Stolen from the Epic of Gilgamesh. Truth be told it was due to the flooding of the Black Sea by an event that happened in the arctic part of Canada some 8000 years ago. Caused a tidal surge that flooded the Mediterranean and wiped out everyone in the area. 'Global' to those fuckers meant their direct neighbourhood.

There isn't a 100% consensus on this one.

The story that I heard is that this tale was originally a Sumarian myth about the flooding of the Euphrates river ~5000 year ago (there's physical evidence to back up this flood too) which was ridden out by a merchant, Ziasudra, who put his family and animals on a barge and floated down river to found his own kingdom.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »

The story that I heard is that this tale was originally a Sumarian myth about the flooding of the Euphrates river ~5000 year ago (there's physical evidence to back up this flood too) which was ridden out by a merchant, Ziasudra, who put his family and animals on a barge and floated down river to found his own kingdom.

Either way, the OT version isn't original, and as with most mythology, it heavily borrowed from other stories.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 09:42:21 PM »

That sounds a lot more interesting to read and much more plausible too. Makes you wonder how much of religion came from such tales of survival, glorified to mean something more than they really are?
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.