Author Topic: Drowning or Play?  (Read 684 times)

midlifeaspie

Re: Drowning or Play?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 01:11:51 PM »
:agreed: Swimming is a big thing here because of our warm climate.

I don't like swimming much because I can't see very well without glasses. Used to go as a kid though, my vision was better back then.

Are there special precautions you have to take to go swimming in Australia? The entire continent of Australia is trying to kill you.

Swimming is safe, as you have left the continent  :autism:

No....so long as you can skirt the sharks, crocodiles, stingrays, stonefish, blue-ringed octopus, Portuguese Man o' War, rips and so on, you should be fine.

But they aren't technically "in Australia"  :autism:

They're within Australia's territorial waters.

"Territorial waters" are a socio-political construct.  I was referring to "the continent of Australia"  :nerdy:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Geologically, the continent extends to the edge of the continental shelf, so the now-separate lands can still be considered a continent. Due to the spread of flora and fauna across the single Pleistocene landmass the separate lands have a related biota.

Source

Okay, I guess we can determine where the swimming was taking place in relation to the continental shelf, or I can admit this has gotten far too aspie and withdraw.  The latter seems better for my headache  :laugh:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 01:46:38 PM »

I don't like swimming much because I can't see very well without glasses. Used to go as a kid though, my vision was better back then.

Are there special precautions you have to take to go swimming in Australia? The entire continent of Australia is trying to kill you.

No....so long as you can skirt the sharks, crocodiles, stingrays, stonefish, blue-ringed octopus, Portuguese Man o' War, rips and so on, you should be fine.

"Territorial waters" are a socio-political construct.  I was referring to "the continent of Australia"  :nerdy:

Geologically, the continent extends to the edge of the continental shelf, so the now-separate lands can still be considered a continent. Due to the spread of flora and fauna across the single Pleistocene landmass the separate lands have a related biota.

Source

Okay, I guess we can determine where the swimming was taking place in relation to the continental shelf, or I can admit this has gotten far too aspie and withdraw.  The latter seems better for my headache  :laugh:

Okay, I give up.  What are the signs of drowning in facts?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 07:49:43 PM »

Source

Okay, I give up.  What are the signs of drowning in facts?

Wikipedia quotes  :zoinks:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »

Source
Or you could just skip the beach (and all the confusion) and go to the local pools.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 09:53:28 PM »
Never mind the sharks. Fear the drop Bears.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2011, 09:58:22 PM »
The local pools near me are indoors, so no need to worry about drop bears in there.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »
The local pools near me are indoors, so no need to worry about drop bears in there.

Very glad to hear.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap