Educational

Author Topic: WTF is this under my bed??  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: WTF is this under my bed??
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 10:23:49 AM »
While it would be unseemly and immodest to show Intensity my corset, here is a half corset made to celebrate my Diamond Jubilee in 1887.

The corset is made from a grey/green sateen and is lined with white twill. It features both string and cane cording, which gives the corset its support. The wide Barmen edging was specially designed to match the garment. It is lightly boned above the waist with whalebone, has a spoon busk and strong, flat steels supporting the back lacing. The top edge of the corset is trimmed with lace decorated with crown motifs,

1) What is a Corset?

For hundreds of years women (and men) have employed restricting devices to mould their figure to the fancy of the day. In Queen Victoria's time, the corset reigned supreme - a body-shaping undergarment gripping the torso from bosom to hips. Expected to actually hold a woman up, it was stiffened with 24 steel or whalebone vertical stays. It closed at the front with metal fasteners and laced at the back as tightly as two maids or a strong husband could manage.

2) The Shape Must Undulate

While other centuries favoured the cone, the tube, the triangle, the Victorians went mad for the hourglass figure with a "wasp" waist, so tiny a man could circle it with his two hands. Remember Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind, so proud of her 17 inch waist? Well Scarlett fell short of the ideal 16 inch hand span and a 13 inch waist, according to legend, was sometimes managed, all, apparently, without the women's heads exploding.

3) For the Mechanical Engineers

The pressure applied to women's bodies to attain this effect ranged from 20 to 80 pounds per square inch.

4) Too Weak to Stand Up By Themselves

Since women were considered too fragile and delicate to exist without help, the corset was considered a medical necessity to support the female body so that she could sit, stand and walk without falling over. Little girls, as young as five, were put into corsets and kept there for the rest of there lives, their future contours dictated by this unforgiving underwear.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Scrapheap

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »
I actually tried it on out of curiosity earlier :LOL:, and I don't even know how to put it on though it's reeeaally complicated.

Well, figure out how to put the damn thing on and snap a pic. If you don't there will be beatings!! :whip:

Offline Enos

• Earliest Common Ancestor of the Aspie Elite
  • Frequent Poster
    • My facebook
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
I just told the boyfriend and he's just as weirded out as I am. So thankfully it's not from him!
Swat PETA, not flies

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 04:59:53 PM »
I just told the boyfriend and he's just as weirded out as I am. So thankfully it's not from him!

The mystery deepens!  Who left that corset there, and why?   :alien:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Enos

• Frequent Poster
    • My facebook
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »

:tinfoil:

I had some crazy thought this morning that it could be some weird heirloom, and my mum didn't want it anymore and just left it in my box. I doubt it would be the case though.  :P

Here's another factor in this weird mystery, the corset has not been in use because the sticker is on the crotch still. BUT it's old because the ann summers label is faded.
Swat PETA, not flies

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2011, 05:15:35 PM »

I had some crazy thought this morning that it could be some weird heirloom, and my mum didn't want it anymore and just left it in my box. I doubt it would be the case though.  :P

Here's another factor in this weird mystery, the corset has not been in use because the sticker is on the crotch still. BUT it's old because the ann summers label is faded.

Maybe your mum bought it for herself years ago, or it was bought for her, but she never wore it and gave it to you instead.

Perhaps it is time to sit down with a couple of cups of tea  :tea:  and talk to mum.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »

Maybe your mum bought it for herself years ago, or it was bought for her, but she never wore it and gave it to you instead.

Perhaps it is time to sit down with a couple of cups of tea  :tea:  and talk to mum.

Perhaps. Does your mother know about this? Could this gift be related to that?
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »
I made a navy blue velvet boned and laced up bodice for myself as part of a Renaissance costume.

Maybe your mom bought it for a costume?

Offline Enos

• Frequent Poster
    • My facebook
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 05:22:57 PM »
It's funny you should say that, since me and my mum are already pretty open about "matters of the heart" or whatever. She knows fully well I have an active sex life right now and sometimes teases me about it (comments about carpet burn and stuff).
But I don't think she'd give me an old corset, that's just weeeeiiiird. Especially if that corset looks like it's for a pretty niche market (it's not mainstream erotic underwear as far as I know.)

I'm definitely mentioning it tomorrow, it's just too mind-boggling and confusing to ignore.  
Swat PETA, not flies

Offline Enos

• Frequent Poster
    • My facebook
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »
I made a navy blue velvet boned and laced up bodice for myself as part of a Renaissance costume.

Maybe your mom bought it for a costume?

Could have done but the way it's worn is too showy and it doesn't have a bra bit, it's one of those ones that barely covers the boobs and it's got all these leathery strap things. I'm not going to rush into pointing the finger at her yet though.

Unless it's... my DAD'S...  :tinfoil:
Swat PETA, not flies

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »
Send it to me.  I won't be weirded out even if your mom bought it for herself.   :thumbup:
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Psychophant

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »

Psychophant

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 06:41:15 PM »
Maybe this would be more suitable.   :headbang2:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2011, 06:43:02 PM »
I googled Ann Summers (I originally thought was the owner's - your mom's - name) and it seems its a line of exotic lingerie.  In Ireland they have in home sales parties, so perhaps your mom bought it on a lark or to get the hostess some points.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2011, 06:46:11 PM »
When I was about 12 or 13 we got a lot of spam on our computer's email, and one was about anne summers, and I remember asking my mum if it was for her, not knowing what it was. and she was just like "no."  And I kept saying I was sure I recognised the name lol

There's an Ann Summers shop in the trafford centre here. Walked past it today. I always feel like a perv walking past shops with underwear