Educational

Author Topic: So most sensible people view these "end of the world" people as nutcases...  (Read 462 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
and rightly so, right?

But how are they THAT much more delusional than most other religious people?

obviously preaching that the world is gonna end tomorrow, today or yesterday is pretty insane, but then isn't it also pretty insane to believe there was some virgin who gave birth to some guy who could walk on water and came back from the dead blah blah blah...?

why do people treat most religious delusions as reasonable and respectable, yet the minority are ostracised?

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
and rightly so, right?

obviously preaching that the world is gonna end tomorrow, today or yesterday is pretty insane, but then isn't it also pretty insane to believe there was some virgin who gave birth to some guy who could walk on water and came back from the dead blah blah blah...?

why do people treat most religious delusions as reasonable and respectable, yet the minority are ostracised?

Have often wondered the same thing.

Why is one set of beliefs seen as sensible, but another set of almost equally wacky beliefs seen as insane.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
and rightly so, right?

Have often wondered the same thing.

Why is one set of beliefs seen as sensible, but another set of almost equally wacky beliefs seen as insane.

I think it's partly because the ancient stories cannot be disproven conclusively in our time.  We may think it's highly unlikely/impossible
 that a virgin was impregnated by a deity, or that a god-man rose from the dead to save all mankind, but we weren't there
 thousands of years ago to witness the actual events that inspired the stories.  On the other hand, if somebody declares that the Rapture
 will occur on May 21, 2011, all we need do to prove him wrong is to wait till May 22.  Maybe that's why there is more tolerance of
 ancient myths than of modern "prophecies."  Just a guess.  :chin:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
but then if I made up something similar to the Jesus/Mohammed/Zeus stuff and said it happened hundreds or thousands of years ago, people wouldn't be able to disprove that either

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
but then if I made up something similar to the Jesus/Mohammed/Zeus stuff and said it happened hundreds or thousands of years ago, people wouldn't be able to disprove that either

But because you just announced it today, you'd probably be seen as a delusional upstart, whereas the stories that were already
 being told thousands of years ago have more credibility to their believers simply because so many previous generations have endorsed them.

/my opinion

People forget.

P7PSP

I have let the irrationality of religious beliefs bother me in the past. In 5th grade I argued with almost the whole class about it, in the Navy I tried to get dog tags that had Atheist instead of No Preference since I was atheist rather than being satisfied attending any old church. I learned a lot of the Bible just to poke holes in people's fairy tales. Now, as long as religious people aren't actively trying to bother me (oops! I mean save me) I don't care what delusions they subscribe to. Unlike some agnostic/atheist types I don't believe the religious mindset will go away in the next few 1000 years. People still seem to need reassurance that the invisible friend will protect them from the Cave Bear, Smilodon, Earthquake etc.  

P7PSP

The older stupid shit is "Grandfathered in" compared to newer stupid shit like Hale Bopp worship, Scientology etc.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
but hale bopp has better tits than Jesus or Muhammed :autism:

(I know what you mean really :P )

and yeah I guess you're right

I still find it crazy though

and I don't think it will ever go away completely either. Organised religion will  decrease though

hopefully

Frolic_Fun

Religion will just evolve into more religion. There's no real way of stamping it out.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Just accept it and you'll feel better, Soph.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
what, the fact that their are religious nutcases in the world, or the fact that the world is gonna en tomorrow? :P

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
what, the fact that their are religious nutcases in the world, or the fact that the world is gonna en tomorrow? :P

Today!  The world is going to end TODAY!   :christ:

People forget.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
there are only about 12 minutes left of today here

I'm gonna go to hell wearing shorts and a united tshirt

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot

Today!  The world is going to end TODAY!   :christ:

Yesterday. :smarty:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
august 15th :M