Author Topic: People's views regarding transpeople  (Read 14057 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: People's views regarding transpeople
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 02:12:18 PM »
Gay, straight, bi, trans, crossdressers. have friends who fall under those categories. Doesn't bother me in the least. It's the person I care about, not the title.

Exactly.

I sometimes screw up the he/she thing though when I've know someone prior as one gender and now they're another, it's not intentional, I'm just basically a "burn-out" somedays.  :zombiefuck:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 04:28:06 PM »
I'm indifferent to them. They can call themselves what they like, but I will define them in my own terms too.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 04:31:47 PM »
I don't care what they are if I like them I like them if I don't I don't.  I doesn't enter into what I think of people
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 04:36:57 PM »
Frankly I find this thread to be stupid, but decided to add to the stupidity for the sake of it.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2011, 06:10:51 PM »
No one has anything to say?  Of course not  ::)

Oh wow Bint. Now that you see what happens when you wait more than 20 minutes for an answer you get to see what happens if you don't rail against people's indifference to answering your posts (three pages so far and counting), you can explain the importance of the above.

Still not seeing the point to be honest. People are asses. We had a similar thread not long ago about people ignoring an Autistic person getting raped whilst no one did anything. Was this because they were indifferent or because the victim was Autistic?

I've just been thinking about how dismissive a lot of people are towards trans people or are openly transphobic and how no one challenges it.  Even homophobes are usually called out on nowadays but transphobes are usually dismissed.  The other day TOW told me how in his Russian class, his professor said that she doesn't support, what she called, other people's "alter-egos" and refused to refer to a transgirl in the class as she and even forbade her to refer to herself as a she in Russian.  Which is completely fucked up.

Also, this article:

http://unicornbooty.com/2011/04/transgender-woman-beaten-into-a-seizure-at-mcdonalds/

Notice how even when that woman is going into a seizure, at the end people just step over her and continue filming.

Not to mention, I couldn't help but notice that there is a very similar mood of indifference here.  A while ago parts made a comment about Kayleigh and no one apart from Soph challenged him.  Also, I can't possibly count how many times people have made jabs at Soph about his gender. 
javascript:void(0);
Tongue
I of course get the whole connection between people's apparent to you indifference between transgender and people allowing someone to be beaten up. That is monumentally clear.  ???

Isn't the board's indifference to transgender issues a GOOD thing? We don't care and it doesn't impact on our communal mentality.

For fuck's sake we are a collection of Autistist (apart from yourself naturally Bint) by and large. Most of us don't give a damn about that much either.

What is the point of that too. In fact your post has a stream of consciousness look and doesn't seem to really connect any dots and the points seem vague and meaningless all in all.

Hope this helps.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Osensitive1

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »
Was this because they were indifferent or because the victim was Autistic?
That's a good point to bring up because it may not be either. Expecting people to get involved in acts of violence of strangers is a bit out there, outside of calling police and giving a witness report. Noticed in the articles read, there's a lot of criticism of the witnesses; though not sure if that's what Binty's post was saying.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 07:37:39 PM »
For fuck's sake we are a collection of Autistist (apart from yourself naturally Bint) by and large.

The Bint isn't autistic?

eris

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 07:59:04 PM »
What are my views regarding transgendered people. Well, I think that an individual would know what gender they are and should be the person to decide what is what. Other than that, I would date one. Ive been with a lot of crossdressers but no trans. As for f2m I would probably be attracted to them too.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 10:49:10 PM »
For fuck's sake we are a collection of Autistist (apart from yourself naturally Bint) by and large.

The Bint isn't autistic?

Sure isn't
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 11:16:31 PM »
It is hard to remember but I will refer to GA as she on here, that is what she wants.

She has had some people at uni who she has just met call her "he" so it isn't just me that has difficulty deciding.

I still love GA to bits, I don't think that will ever change.

I get confused about Squiddy, though even though he is not transgender, he still talks about make up and cleavage and stuff? It confuses me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:18:30 PM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2011, 01:17:01 AM »
Saw the video.  It was nasty.  The McDonalds staff were a bunch of spineless div's but acted
just how i would expect them to.  I think the behaviour of the staff would have been the
same whoever had been attacked.  I have seen this kind of reaction before, and the victim
wasn't trans,  or gay.

The reason i have not posted sooner is down to the title of the thread.  It really doesn't
bother me that some folks are trans.  

For the purpose of this forum,  where the members are from all different corners of the globe,
and therefore i remain unlikely to meet any of them,  gender just doesn't matter.  Well i
got it into my head that two things really don't matter to me

1. what they look like,  

2. if someone has a winkey or not.

My reason for liking people on here is purely based on what they write
on here.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:18:56 AM by bodaccea »
blah blah blah

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2011, 01:31:02 AM »
The video wouldn't load for me but I can well imagine it was horrible. There was a picture of the girl being dragged by her hair and that is horrible enough.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Binty

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2011, 01:38:33 AM »
Les if you can't see a point, I suggest you go back to school and learn how to read with comprehension otherwise I'm afraid I can't really help you here.  Yes, I'm an NT but what the hell does that have to do with this thread?  ???  I guess it is a way to avoid saying how you really feel about trans people.  I haven't forgotten that post you made about Soph on ZOMG.

Odeon, here is the post I was referring to:

Galileo Ace had a sex change operation and posts from time to time as Kayleigh.
GA hasn't had a sex change operation but does post as Kayleigh now.

I thought she had the operation. Sorry

No he learned to "tuck" :zoinks:

Callaway:

OK, I watched the video, which was difficult to see, but I didn't see it the same way that you did.  I saw people telling the two women to stop, the older woman trying to protect the victim and someone telling the women that they needed to leave the store, that the police had been called, and I saw someone move the trash can so the victim who was having a seizure didn't hurt herself on it.  I think that the people who stepped over her were the older woman who had been trying to protect her and maybe a store manager who was trying to make the two assailants leave.  

Was the person filming it using his cell phone?  Maybe he was filming it so the police could use it to catch and prosecute the assailants?

In the case of TOW's Russian teacher, maybe she is just going by the genders listed on the class enrollment forms.  I would think that if those forms were listed as the gender the person identifies with, she wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

In the case of GA, people here got to know him as a man first and then as a husband of someone we care about, so if people call him "he" instead of "she" I think that plays a big part.  

I'm not sure where you saw multiple people helping her in that video.  I didn't.  The manager made a light attempt to shoo them away and the lovely old woman tried to help but she too got shoved around.  No one else in that McDonald's made any attempt to do anything.  All the other workers stood around laughing and filming it, not for the police but for their own personal amusement.  Not to mention telling the girls to run because the police were coming.  Rather than protect the victim, they were protecting the perpetrators.  

TOW's Russian teacher IS going by the class enrollment forms but don't you think it's wrong to force someone to refer to themselves as something they're not?  Fair enough if she refuses to call that girl a she because of her own personal beliefs, but to force her to refer to herself as a he is fucked up.

I know people have gotten to know Kayleigh as GA but in that case what about people who still insist on calling Soph a "she"?  He's been open about being trans from the start and he hasn't got a partner here either.  
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:01:56 AM by Binty »

GalileoAce

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2011, 02:41:41 AM »
I'm horrified.

Not by the attack. The attack absolutely sickened me. Even though it may not have driven by gender, the arsehole who filmed it thought it was.

He was fired.

What horrifies me is the responses in this thread. I'm really at a loss for the right words.

You all need to go back and read my threads on trans issues, particularly the arguments I had with Hadron and Calandale about what defines a woman. I'm looking at you again Odeon. I can't believe you wheeled out the tired cliche that a woman is only her reproductive system (functional or not). You've basically wilfully denied identity to millions of intersex people and to millions of transpeople. According to you, I'll never be a woman, and Soph will always be a woman. Can you fathom how offensive that is?

To put it into an autism context, it's about as offensive as AutismSpeaks telling us that we're burdens to our families and whatever. You basically became AutismSpeaks. Telling us, Soph and I, us trans people, what we are and what we are not without actually taking trans-perspectives into account. Congratulations. You're an arsehole.

I seriously hope that none of your children are trans. Whilst I'd never wish being trans upon anyone, I think it'd be the cruellest thing to have to be trans and have parents like you.

Not that I think you're any decent at parenting anyway. I know this because of the hours I've spent researching how your parents your children, and time I've invested in understanding what's it's like to be a parents and all the difficulties thereof. I feel that I have enough information to declare you all bad parents.

In case you didn't realise, the previous paragraph was sarcastic. I know next to nothing about how your parent your children, and have no right to have any say on the validity of how you go about it. But somehow, you do have a valid right to tell me I'll never be a women. To tell me that calling me 'she' is too difficult for you, aww I'm sorry my existence is difficult for you (that last was dripping with bitter sarcasm).

You're wrong. I don't "want" to be a woman. I am a woman. This is not a psychological error any more than autism is. Both trans and autism are neurobiological in nature. Basically a physical error in the brain.

Neurobiological = Hardware
Psychological = Software

I am the way I am, trans, autistics, adhd, possibly dyslexic, whatever else, because of errors in my brain and brain chemistry. I didn't just wake up one day and think "I want to be a woman, la da di di da". My first memory of realising I was supposed to be a girl was when I was 9, though my childmind processed that as wanting. FUCKING 9 years of age. I also tried to commit suicide that year. AT FUCKING NINE! This has always been a long term thing for me, I always had to deal with these feelings, that I was not male. Do you even know how hard I fought to "be male"? You really have no idea what I put myself through. The levels of suppression I went, suppressing my emotions, putting up walls in my mind, blocking out thoughts and ideas. It was so so hard :(

And now I have to deal with the repercussions of that. I have to deal with trying to bring down those walls, to learn how to deal with emotions properly and not just mentally run away from them. The depressions I get into because I can't control my negative emotions. The freakouts I have because some idea or thought or comment has trigged something in my mind. THAT'S FUCKING PSYCHOLOGICAL. THAT'S BECAUSE I TRIED TO BE MALE.

But, since I have begun transitioning, I have begun to live. Before, when I was Joshua. I had no life. I merely existed. I had no dreams, no goals. I didn't care enough. I just wanted to stay home and lose myself in stories (tv shows, games, movies, books etc). I now have dreams. I now have goals. I now have a life. I'm going places, I'm doing stuff. I'm engaging with the world in ways I never even realised. Don't you dare take that away from me.

I do know how hard it is for those around me to process this. I know the shit I've put renaeden through, and I will be eternally sorry for that. But I can't change what I am. Just the shell I am in. And renaeden has become supportive of Kayleigh. I know she misses Joshua, and I feel for her. But he is no longer, he never existed. He was a shell personality, put in place to try and fit in with the world in the way everyone was telling me to.

People telling you can't do this, you can't do that. Just as you have done today.

Well. FUCK YOU. I'll be who I want to be. I am Kayleigh. A woman.

I would like to note that this post was only directed at people like Odeon, Callaway and Swearengen. This is intended to be my last post on this forum*. I don't need people like you in my life any more. I've moved on.

(*=I reserve the right to change my mind)

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2011, 03:05:40 AM »
TL;DR