Educational

Author Topic: People's views regarding transpeople  (Read 14066 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: People's views regarding transpeople
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 11:31:39 AM »
Language evolves. If you met someone who looked 100% like a woman, but you found out that they were biologically male, wouldn't you feel stupid calling her a man?

What makes a woman btw, in your opinion? A vagina?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 11:42:50 AM »
It was unclear to me what triggered the beating.  I wouldn't have known the victim was transgendered from what I saw.  What I did notice was that it was 2 blacks beating up on a white and wondered if there was an element of racism in the attack? 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 11:45:08 AM »
Language evolves. If you met someone who looked 100% like a woman, but you found out that they were biologically male, wouldn't you feel stupid calling her a man?

I think that it's more who the person presented to be when you first got to know them, so if I met a person with a penis who dressed as a female and who identified himself/herself as a woman from the beginning, I would call him/her "she" but if I met someone who presented as a man first, I would have a much harder time calling him "she" because the fact that he's a "he" is already wired in my brain.

Osensitive1

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 11:46:50 AM »
It was unclear to me what triggered the beating.  I wouldn't have known the victim was transgendered from what I saw.  What I did notice was that it was 2 blacks beating up on a white and wondered if there was an element of racism in the attack? 
Read a couple of articles, and it does seem to be gender related. Things said similar to, that's a man going in the ladies room. The victim said she was first approached with being accused of trying to talk to one of the attacker's man or something like that. Got the impression they went into the bathroom after her, not something that started in the bathroom. Race wasn't mentioned, but didn't find any statements from the attackers, so not sure.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 11:48:18 AM »
It was unclear to me what triggered the beating.  I wouldn't have known the victim was transgendered from what I saw.  What I did notice was that it was 2 blacks beating up on a white and wondered if there was an element of racism in the attack?  

It said something about she was using a woman's bathroom, so I think it was related to that. Didn't read the whole thing though so not sure

I think that it's more who the person presented to be when you first got to know them, so if I met a person with a penis who dressed as a female and who identified himself/herself as a woman from the beginning, I would call him/her "she" but if I met someone who presented as a man first, I would have a much harder time calling him "she" because the fact that he's a "he" is already wired in my brain.

It is harder online though - I have always been open about being trans here and have never presented myself as a woman, but other people do it for you. Apart from the odd photo, it is all just words on a screen, so harder to "present" as one or the other.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 12:01:08 PM »

Language evolves, sure, but we are not anywhere close to the point where the definitions have become muddled. Notice what I wrote about the definition:

I will also not abuse vocabulary and definitions I see as very well defined as well as reasonably fundamental to human reproductive biology and our society in general.

In other words, if GA becomes a woman able to reproduce, then I *might* reconsider, but even then I would probably want another term because this one remains clear.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 12:02:53 PM »
I still don't see why though? I mean how is it a problem for a transwoman to be referred to as a woman? Why does that bother you?

Also plenty of biological women can't have kids

Osensitive1

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 12:08:29 PM »
It was unclear to me what triggered the beating.  I wouldn't have known the victim was transgendered from what I saw.  What I did notice was that it was 2 blacks beating up on a white and wondered if there was an element of racism in the attack?  
Read a couple of articles, and it does seem to be gender related. Things said similar to, that's a man going in the ladies room. The victim said she was first approached with being accused of trying to talk to one of the attacker's man or something like that. Got the impression they went into the bathroom after her, not something that started in the bathroom. Race wasn't mentioned, but didn't find any statements from the attackers, so not sure.
Just watch the victim's video statement on youtube and it may not have been gender related at all. More of 'that's my man' kind of thing.

Edit: forgot to paste the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ5lOvs0Nf4&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 12:10:57 PM by Jack »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 12:20:23 PM »
Just watch the victim's video statement on youtube and it may not have been gender related at all. More of 'that's my man' kind of thing.

I saw a statement from the victim who thought that her race may have played a part as well as that the "man" of one of the attackers had spoken to her and she answered.  I think that one of the attackers made a statement that the attack happened because it was a "Dude in the ladies' bathroom."  Apparently one of the attackers was just 14 years old.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-mcdonalds-beating-20110423,0,3336656.story?page=1

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 12:24:42 PM »
I still don't see why though? I mean how is it a problem for a transwoman to be referred to as a woman? Why does that bother you?

It's a simple matter of definition. I never said a trans can't call him/her whatever s/he likes, I simply said that I won't.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Osensitive1

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »

I saw a statement from the victim who thought that her race may have played a part as well as that the "man" of one of the attackers had spoken to her and she answered.  I think that one of the attackers made a statement that the attack happened because it was a "Dude in the ladies' bathroom."  Apparently one of the attackers was just 14 years old.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-mcdonalds-beating-20110423,0,3336656.story?page=1
Thanks, Callaway.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 01:15:41 PM »

It's a simple matter of definition. I never said a trans can't call him/her whatever s/he likes, I simply said that I won't.

I know - and that's fine. I was just wondering why it matters to you so much.

To me it is also about privacy - it should be nobody's business whatsoever whether someone has a vagina or a penis

Also you didn't address the fact that many people can't reproduce anyway

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 01:22:03 PM »
Re your last point:

It's not an issue, other than that they cannot actually reproduce. They were supposed to--they were born to--but something went wrong.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 01:25:21 PM »
Most trans people actually view their sex the same way - ie that they were "supposed" to be male/female but something "went wrong"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 01:31:36 PM »
Ah, yes, but the easy explanation is that they were indeed supposed to be what they don't want to be but psychologically something went wrong. Biologically speaking a lot more would have to go wrong for their theory to be the plausible one.

And mind, I'm not arguing anything else than plausibility.

- Albert Einstein