Author Topic: The right to bear arms  (Read 19080 times)

driftingblizzard

Re: The right to bear arms
« Reply #360 on: January 08, 2007, 03:46:11 PM »
I suppose that IF we are to accept that guns are a part of society, and IF others than the police, army, etc, can carry (and use) one, 18 is as good an age as any. You'd have to be legally adult, though, and youept those IFs'd have to be allowed to vote, drive, drink, etc.

But I don't accept those IFs. :P

I've changed my mind now.  I don't think anyone (except the police or military of a lawful gov't) should be able to own a firearm of any kind.  NO exceptions.  All weapons should be illegal in all countries.  Everyone should be made aware that I nor anyone else has them. My house is devoid of any defensive measures as I can just pick up the phone and call the local authorities if there is any disturbance going on.   And I agree with Odeon that if you are caught with a firearm of ANY sort, you should have your arms removed at the shoulders, because we all know, at that point, only a violent criminal would have a gun.

How can you agree with me on this when I never said it? ???

I'm glad you finally see the light, tho. Now, if only Litigious would follow suit...

Of course by now, you realize that the Whole of the Statement was sarcasm.. But honestly, I don't understand why you don't appriciate that someone else would have a different point of view, and be ok with that.  I have endured a lifetime being different from everyone (mostly brothers and sister), and have been beaten (physically) to be made to think the same.  And, until I found out about A-S, always thought that they were right to beat me.  Now I know that its ok to be me, to have a differing opinion and be comfortable with that.   But in my own defense, you say you never said that cutting off arms would be ok for gun offenders.  But what then, would you do if someone was caught with an illegal gun?  To say they must be banned, but have no punishment for violating it would be irresponsible.  I was simply extrapolating my punsihment to your ban.  So in effect, you did imply there would be a punishment for violating a ban.  Did you not?...  And I refuse to be abused by anyone, anymore... The burning was not the worst part.  When they distroyed my homework, that was the worst part.  The pain lasted much longer....

driftingblizzard

« Reply #361 on: January 08, 2007, 03:52:25 PM »
Can I please have my Karma back now?...  I'll tell you a secret.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #362 on: January 08, 2007, 05:17:32 PM »
I suppose that IF we are to accept that guns are a part of society, and IF others than the police, army, etc, can carry (and use) one, 18 is as good an age as any. You'd have to be legally adult, though, and youept those IFs'd have to be allowed to vote, drive, drink, etc.

But I don't accept those IFs. :P

I've changed my mind now.  I don't think anyone (except the police or military of a lawful gov't) should be able to own a firearm of any kind.  NO exceptions.  All weapons should be illegal in all countries.  Everyone should be made aware that I nor anyone else has them. My house is devoid of any defensive measures as I can just pick up the phone and call the local authorities if there is any disturbance going on.   And I agree with Odeon that if you are caught with a firearm of ANY sort, you should have your arms removed at the shoulders, because we all know, at that point, only a violent criminal would have a gun.

How can you agree with me on this when I never said it? ???

I'm glad you finally see the light, tho. Now, if only Litigious would follow suit...

Of course by now, you realize that the Whole of the Statement was sarcasm.. But honestly, I don't understand why you don't appriciate that someone else would have a different point of view, and be ok with that.  I have endured a lifetime being different from everyone (mostly brothers and sister), and have been beaten (physically) to be made to think the same.  And, until I found out about A-S, always thought that they were right to beat me.  Now I know that its ok to be me, to have a differing opinion and be comfortable with that.   But in my own defense, you say you never said that cutting off arms would be ok for gun offenders.  But what then, would you do if someone was caught with an illegal gun?  To say they must be banned, but have no punishment for violating it would be irresponsible.  I was simply extrapolating my punsihment to your ban.  So in effect, you did imply there would be a punishment for violating a ban.  Did you not?...  And I refuse to be abused by anyone, anymore... The burning was not the worst part.  When they distroyed my homework, that was the worst part.  The pain lasted much longer....

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. What ban? People or guns? What implied punishment? Don't put words in my mouth!

I'm against firearms for personal use, dead against keeping them at home, and would much prefer a society completely without them. Since this seems to be impossible at the moment, I'll settle for heavy restrictions on them. However, as far as punishment is concerned for violating the firearm restrictions, I believe I haven't said anything, much less mentioned it in the dis-arming criminal nonsense.

That clear now?

I'm perfectly happy to discuss and/or argue my views and opinions, and have done so in this thread and others, again and again. Banged my head against the wall is perhaps a more apt description. Most of the argument happened some time ago, however, which I'm sure you noted when reading the thread from the beginning (that was before you first posted in the thread, and if you are detecting sarcasm here, you are correct).

I appreciate that you have a differing opinion, another point of view, etc, etc, etc, and have no problems with you holding on to them. However, I don't agree with them, at all, and find your arguments hollow and your sarcasm seriously lacking in wit. It didn't help when you repeated what essentially was the same joke, either. I'm sorry if you feel you've been bullied (that is what you wanted to say with your flashbacks of bullying and destroyed homework, was it not?), but this is Intensity, and you'd better stay out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat.

BTW, this place is full of people who've been bullied, over and over again. I'm among them. Want to gain sympathy? Try something else.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #363 on: January 08, 2007, 05:33:26 PM »
 :deadhorse: :GA:

driftingblizzard

« Reply #364 on: January 08, 2007, 07:49:35 PM »
:deadhorse: :GA:

And what Pray Tell, have you my friend brought to the table of beatings?

ozymandias

« Reply #365 on: January 08, 2007, 08:40:02 PM »
Living in America and hearing the same arguments over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over..............................

For the record I'm pro common sense gun control and despise the NRA for it's rabid ultra patriotic propaganda and obscene profits that it makes from the arms industry.  I posted in the "right to arm bears" thread.  I'm not against guns,  just for common sense in the approach to guns.  Something that is sadly lacking in the US.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #366 on: January 09, 2007, 01:36:53 AM »
I knew that new smiley would come into good use. ;D Regardless of one's opinions in the matter, really.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #367 on: January 09, 2007, 04:22:37 AM »
I'm not against guns,  just for common sense in the approach to guns.  Something that is sadly lacking in the US.

In Europe we have the other extreme...if you're not for banning or at least restrictions so hard that most people even won't bother trying to get a gun, the politicians and media say that you're a gun freak...

Litigious

« Reply #368 on: January 09, 2007, 04:28:46 AM »
When they want to scare people for what would happen if guns were easier available, they usually do reports from the US, where they interview really stupid rednecks, who are out as vigilantes hunting illegal immigrants from Mexico or something like that...

ozymandias

« Reply #369 on: January 09, 2007, 05:59:39 AM »
I used the GalilaoAce emoticon to show how this argument keeps spinning around in circles!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #370 on: January 09, 2007, 06:15:27 AM »
And it does. I won't bother with it again for a while, though. :deadhorse:

- Albert Einstein

driftingblizzard

« Reply #371 on: January 09, 2007, 06:36:27 AM »
Yes, let's move on.  Because I do find your insights very, well, insightful Odeon, and I think we've hit stalemate.  So what's next? Any suggestions anyone? 

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #372 on: January 09, 2007, 06:46:58 AM »
Heh. Capital punishment's always fun to debate... no, wait, didn't we cover it somewhere...? :P

Well, there's gotta be SOMETHING!

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #373 on: January 09, 2007, 07:33:58 AM »
Speed limits. Drugs.  8)

Litigious

« Reply #374 on: January 09, 2007, 07:39:58 AM »
Odeon, you have to take a trip on the new E6 between Falkenberg and the Halland/Skåne border. You are allowed to drive 120 kmph there, legally8)