Author Topic: The right to bear arms  (Read 19343 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: The right to bear arms
« Reply #405 on: January 12, 2007, 12:55:04 PM »
That's awful, DD.

My first thought when reading about registering nutcases was an image of some bureaucrat defining what, exactly, a nutcase is. "Hmmm... maybe everyone with a psychiatric diagnosis..."

Obviously, I'm not serious about that remark, I made. I'm just emo, right now. This one particular nut did himself no favors, with his freedoms, and none of our freedoms are as safe because of this incident and many more just like it.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #406 on: January 12, 2007, 01:00:29 PM »
That's awful, DD.

My first thought when reading about registering nutcases was an image of some bureaucrat defining what, exactly, a nutcase is. "Hmmm... maybe everyone with a psychiatric diagnosis..."

They most probably would stop a law-abiding aspie from getting a gun legally, yes. And I guess that a shooting club would deny a law-abiding aspie in Sweden membership due to his "poor social skills" or something as stupid, though I've never applied for membership in one anyway, since I don't voluntarily join any kind of club or social gathering, and, above all, consider the whole concept an insult and violation of my human rights.

Quote from: odeon
Regarding cars vs weapons: the argument doesn't hold water, Lit. Cars aren't designed for killing anyone or anything. They can kill, but so can just about anything. Cars are transportation devices.

Guns are designed to kill someone or something. They have no other uses.

Absolutely. But, once again, I don't consider killing in self-defense something wrong. And you can't argue that there would be no need for guns in self-defense if all guns were banned, because this is never going to happen, since neither all criminals, nor all governments of the world will ever be disarmed. And cars de facto kill more people, so what does it matter that they weren't designed for killing people at all? Will that cheer up the mutilated victims or the relatives to someone killed by a drunk driver?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #407 on: January 12, 2007, 01:06:05 PM »
I see. Since we already have unnecessarily many accidents with cars, that excuses the deaths caused by guns? Sorry, that's some twisted logic, right there. I don't buy it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #408 on: January 12, 2007, 01:06:38 PM »
That's awful, DD.

Obviously, I'm not serious about that remark, I made. I'm just emo, right now. This one particular nut did himself no favors, with his freedoms, and none of our freedoms are as safe because of this incident and many more just like it.

:-[ I did an AS thing.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #409 on: January 12, 2007, 01:17:43 PM »
I see. Since we already have unnecessarily many accidents with cars, that excuses the deaths caused by guns? Sorry, that's some twisted logic, right there. I don't buy it.

It's not really a pro-gun argument, I'm just trying to show that the authorities don't restrict or ban guns out of concern of peoples lives or health; it's a question of power. Otherwise driver's licenses would be a hell lot harder to get, as would the punishments for drunk-an-drive-killings vs the punishments for illegal possesion of guns.

But the gun deaths are less in comparison with traffic deaths, even in the US, you could see that in drifftingblizzard's statistics.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #410 on: January 12, 2007, 01:30:16 PM »
You're still using the same argument, though. :laugh:

You do realize that you're the obsessed one regarding this, not me, don't you? :P

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #411 on: January 12, 2007, 01:37:20 PM »

You do realize that you're the obsessed one regarding this, not me, don't you? :P

Well, I actually just feel that I have to post an answer, every time this topic comes up again. It needn't to be you that posts in it; this time it was DD and McJ bringing it up again.

driftingblizzard

« Reply #412 on: January 12, 2007, 02:04:28 PM »

I must weigh in once again also.  Regarding obsessions.  My fixation in life has actually been rockets.  Since watching the moon launches broadcast live!  in Black and white no less.  I wanted to be an aerospace engineer when I grew up.    Although keeping it as a hobby and never professionally, I got all the way to designing rockets and building them.  Then 9-11 stopped me cold.  The ATF, in a grasp to show that they were regulating SOMETHING, clamped down on our rocket motors.  Oh, the letters that were written, the legal battles, the senators and congressmen.  It was a circus.  They regulated them out of our hands.  I was crushed... The harder we fought, the more the ATF thought they were on to something.  Even though, it was ILLEGAL to make a guided rocket.  Ours could go up, then down.  The motors aren't even an effective explosive, only under extreme conditions with tons of the stuff.  A gallon of gasoline is worse.  Where's the regulation on gasoline?  I also fly remotely controlled airplanes.  No problem with those although they could be used as an effective weapon.  Rocket motors were demonized and sunk as a hobby.  The ATF were HEROS!  The people who seem OBSESSED are the one's with something to LOSE.  Its easy to sacrafice the minority for the will of the uninterested majority.  Much like Celine's first and third laws.  Think of who some of the most "vocal" groups have been......
By the way, how is everyone today?  Good I hope.  Nice election too.  Very happy with the results. 

Litigious

« Reply #413 on: January 12, 2007, 02:15:46 PM »
Thanks.  ;)

One of the most stupid things after 9/11 is that it is forbidden for US companies to sell most chemicals to private citizens outside the US!!! That stupidness could actually compete with European gun laws. How would they stop terrorists attacks within the US by banning export of chemicals?  ???

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #414 on: January 12, 2007, 02:53:58 PM »
Thanks.  ;)

One of the most stupid things after 9/11 is that it is forbidden for US companies to sell most chemicals to private citizens outside the US!!! That stupidness could actually compete with European gun laws. How would they stop terrorists attacks within the US by banning export of chemicals?  ???

...it comes from the arrogance of thinking that only WE can make our special products, only WE know the secret formulas and procedures ..... and everyone jumping over each other to make laws which help to prevent the 9-11 thing in the future. The frog leaping lawmakers are still going, last I looked.  ::)

Anyone with similar lab facilities can reverse engineer almost anything, from a sampling of the original product.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #415 on: January 12, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »
The stuff I think about can even be bought legally in Sweden, so I really don't see a point. Making high explosives is very, very simple, compared with most other chemistry. 

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #416 on: January 12, 2007, 03:28:57 PM »
Agreed, but logic has no effect on Congress when their knees are jerking and their hearts are bleeding ... and like in a kids bad dream, they take away all our favorite toys.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #417 on: January 12, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »

Well, I actually just feel that I have to post an answer, every time this topic comes up again. It needn't to be you that posts in it; this time it was DD and McJ bringing it up again.

:laugh:

You have a point. So you are not obsessed? :P

driftingblizzard, I remember the moon launches, too, in black & white and all. I remember watching a moon walk--could have been Aldrin--on our 14" portable TV when I was four. I wanted to be a rocket scientist, and my hero was Werner von Braun.

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #418 on: January 12, 2007, 03:45:57 PM »

:laugh:

You have a point. So you are not obsessed? :P

Oh, yes, but, as I said, it might be anyone bringing it up again, who makes me respond.  8)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #419 on: January 12, 2007, 03:49:04 PM »
I guess that makes me a bit obsessed, too. Just a tad. +

- Albert Einstein