Educational

Author Topic: The right to bear arms  (Read 18984 times)

thepeaguy

Re: The right to bear arms
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2006, 08:05:38 AM »

I'd also recommend the gun nuts to watch the end of that movie, where Charlton Heston, the chairman of the NRA, attempts to explain the statistics in his own way. Hilarious, but also quite sad.

You mean this Charlton Heston?

Monkey see, monkey do.

LOL.

Offline SausageofPower

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2006, 08:09:32 AM »
Have you seen "Bowling for Columbine"? It opens with Michael Moore opening an account at a bank in order to get a free gun, promised to everyone opening new accounts... I think this little scene explains a lot more about the gun mentality in the US than all that racist bs quoted above.

I'd also recommend the gun nuts to watch the end of that movie, where Charlton Heston, the chairman of the NRA, attempts to explain the statistics in his own way. Hilarious, but also quite sad.

If you trust anything that Michael Moore attaches his name to, then you're not worthy of debating. Yes, factually, Michael Moore began a transaction days before that scene to allow the waiting period to pass and received a Weatherby rifle. And yes, Michael Moore approached Charlton Heston in 1999 when the man wasn't in the best state of mind, as he was beginning to show symptoms of Alzheimer's disease (something he announced to the public in 2002).

-Corey

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2006, 11:09:07 AM »

When you analyzie crime statistics in America, a dirty little secret about criminal activity appears. Most criminologists know this and the stats have been published in different sources.

Crime in America follows racial lines. The crime rates for whites in america reflect those of Europe. the crime rates of Asians reflect those in Asia. The crime rates of Mexicans reflect crime rates in Mexico. The crime rates of Blacks reflect those of Africa.......... I don't see how anyone is suprised by this. The fruit after all, never falls far from the tree.........

Humans are racist. If you deny it, you are bullshitting yourself. America is the most culturally bigotted and, at the same time, culturally diverse country on the miserable little speck we all share. It has little to do with this argument, but it needs to be pointed out.

Thanks, Scr'eap! ++

Michael Moore is an artist, nothing 'moore'. Dabbling in politics and sensationalism, then combining the two is a way to make money, nothing 'moore'.

OK ... Next round ...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 11:59:43 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2006, 11:46:34 AM »
If you trust anything that Michael Moore attaches his name to, then you're not worthy of debating. Yes, factually, Michael Moore began a transaction days before that scene to allow the waiting period to pass and received a Weatherby rifle.

That's all you're going to say? That if I refer to something Michael Moore said or did, I'm not worthy of debating? Wouldn't you want to prove some of the things he said wrong? If this is your debating style (conjecture, mainly), I'm wasting my time.

You'd have more success holding your breath until you get your way. ::)

And yes, Michael Moore approached Charlton Heston in 1999 when the man wasn't in the best state of mind, as he was beginning to show symptoms of Alzheimer's disease (something he announced to the public in 2002).

-Corey

Alzheimer or not, Heston quoted the usual NRA conjecture and was disproven in a New york minute. When he had no further replies, he walked away.  :chicken:

Tell me what he forgot. I'd really like to know.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2006, 11:47:51 AM »

Monkey see, monkey do.

LOL.

Is this after the onset of Alzheimer's?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SausageofPower

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2006, 12:03:10 PM »
That's all you're going to say? That if I refer to something Michael Moore said or did, I'm not worthy of debating? Wouldn't you want to prove some of the things he said wrong? If this is your debating style (conjecture, mainly), I'm wasting my time.

You'd have more success holding your breath until you get your way. ::)

Very well, here is a site analyzing the 'documentary' and showing proof of its false claims. Read it please, then reply. If you have evidence you wish to present as a counterargument, I'm fully willing to read it.

-Corey

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2006, 12:07:57 PM »
Corey, see that other thread, started by notdrew. If you don't agree, I'll reply to your post re Moore and his film, OK.

- Albert Einstein

thepeaguy

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2006, 12:09:30 PM »

Monkey see, monkey do.

LOL.

Is this after the onset of Alzheimer's?

"Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Me kill man for bananas!"

Offline drewtheyellow

• Aspie Elite
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2006, 12:11:41 PM »
Corey, see that other thread, started by notdrew. If you don't agree, I'll reply to your post re Moore and his film, OK.
Well, technically that other thread was really just a joke. I mean, I suppose I could have gone the other way on the bear issue about how bears are easily victimized without guns but that didn't really amuse me quite as much.

Offline SausageofPower

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2006, 12:15:31 PM »

You're avoiding the issue, which makes me think you have no real means of defending your claims. I ask you to read both the previous link I posted and this more specific one about the Heston interview itself. If you wish to debate, be knowledgable and then debate. If you're not ready to defend your stance, then stop replying.

-Corey

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2006, 12:34:33 PM »
OK. Fuck it. Forget that I wanted to stop this bickering.

I'm not avoiding anything, Corey. I'm very much against guns while you, obviously, are not. I very much doubt that even if I shoved every relevant piece of statistics down your throat, I could make you change your mind. But since this is what you want, I feel obliged to do it.

Regarding your last link, about how Michael Moore went about filming that interview. There's no definitive evidence to either version on that page. There probably was more than one camera, though, because that's actually pretty much standard operating procedure when you're shooting a documentary. I don't know if you have experience shooting documentaries, but I do, and I can tell you here and now, that whenever I had the money, I always used two or more cameras, simply because often, there are no second chances, be it interviews, bird photography, or live concerts.

I've done all three types, btw.

Standard operating procedure when you're shooting a documentary is also to hide the other cameras whenever you can, simply because they remove focus from where you, as a director, want it to be.

That Moore has more than one version of how that shoot was done is not relevant, however. We are talking about gun control and Heston's inability to produce a credible reply. What you are trying to do here is to discredit Moore so you don't have to face that bigger issue, the one this thread is about.

Every documentary is an opinion piece, never an objective report on factual events. Of course Moore had a reason to include Heston and his failed excuses. It wasn't as much to bring the gun freaks down--he pwned them with that film, though--as it was to win over the folks who weren't sure. I repeat: it's an opinion piece. A strong one, based on facts, but still opinion.

By the way, I find it worrying that a person with Alzheimer's can legally own a firearm, and even more worrying that the person was the chair of the NRA at the time of the interview, when his Alzheimer was already in evidence (according to you).

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2006, 12:49:55 PM »
What do y'all think of the Japanese system:  It is legal to own as many guns as you want :tooledup:
but it is illegal to own any bullets  :bssign:

It's actually legal to own a cannon without a license in Sweden but not the ammo to it. All you have to do is to remove the sight from the cannon. It will then be a "salute cannon" and those are free to keep. No, I'm not kidding.

Offline SausageofPower

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2006, 01:05:13 PM »
OK. Fuck it. Forget that I wanted to stop this bickering.

The correct way to have approached that would have been to say, "Fuck it. I want to stop this bickering," not "LOL LOOK AT LINK ISNIT TEH FUNNEY!?"

I'm not avoiding anything, Corey. I'm very much against guns while you, obviously, are not. I very much doubt that even if I shoved every relevant piece of statistics down your throat, I could make you change your mind. But since this is what you want, I feel obliged to do it.

And yet, you don't give me any figures. I can stand here all day and claim things, but without relevant quantitative data I'd be a dick. So far, I've posted two statistics: those which support that legal handgun ownership is by far not the most prominent source of firearms used in violent crimes, and one stating a (admittedly, rather large) range of how many defensive uses occur annually.

You, on the other hand, state that you could give me all these statistics and not change my mind. That's a cop out. Give me figures, I'll give you figures, and we'll see who the data supports. I've got mine, where are yours (from credible sources mind you)?

Regarding your last link, about how Michael Moore went about filming that interview. There's no definitive evidence to either version on that page. There probably was more than one camera, though, because that's actually pretty much standard operating procedure when you're shooting a documentary. I don't know if you have experience shooting documentaries, but I do, and I can tell you here and now, that whenever I had the money, I always used two or more cameras, simply because often, there are no second chances, be it interviews, bird photography, or live concerts.

No, there's no definite account because Moore's crew hasn't come out and confirmed what method was used, but as someone who has worked on filming a few projects I can tell you that the acessment provided on that page is correct. Furthermore, Moore is called into question in terms of his legitimacy for not only those 3 seperate accounts of events on that latter page (including one where he claims he broke federal law, technically), but also for other 'documentaries' such as 9/11 Farenheit where many of his claims were factually disproven and his footage was shown to be misleading in terms of how it was presented.

Standard operating procedure when you're shooting a documentary is also to hide the other cameras whenever you can, simply because they remove focus from where you, as a director, want it to be.

You hide the cameras from the view of eachother so they don't disrupt the shot, yes, but we're talking about physicially impossible positioning of cameras. Unless the cameraman was hidden in a pocket universe and popped out at just the right moment, it wasn't present during the initial shot, making the scene a doctored event that was "playing it out to the cheap seats," so to speak.

That Moore has more than one version of how that shoot was done is not relevant, however.

It only goes to prove that Moore is a liar, or at the least not forthcoming with the full truth.

We are talking about gun control and Heston's inability to produce a credible reply. What you are trying to do here is to discredit Moore so you don't have to face that bigger issue, the one this thread is about.

I'm not buying a film of Moore's, so can you give me the transcript or a YouTube video? My whole point of posting those links was to show that Moore did doctor things in that film, making it a poor choice for basing an argument upon.

Every documentary is an opinion piece, never an objective report on factual events. Of course Moore had a reason to include Heston and his failed excuses. It wasn't as much to bring the gun freaks down--he pwned them with that film, though--as it was to win over the folks who weren't sure. I repeat: it's an opinion piece. A strong one, based on facts, but still opinion.

Did you even read what I posted? The part about Moore rearranging things where they didn't even resemble the truth? If that's the case, I can say damn near anything about someone, with some cut and paste work, and have it be 'based on facts' per your representation. Furthermore, by possibly taping the "Look at this photograph" sequence afterwards and splicing it together with the former frames, it calls the authenticity of the whole interview into question and renders it void, in my opinion. I'm sure you can find other interviews where Heston said the same thing to a credible press outlet, so snag one of those for me.

And actually, he didn't 'pwn' anyone, he simply showed that he was unable to formulate a competant arugment against firearms without doctoring footage and deceiving people. If you can't prove your point without twisting the truth, then your point isn't worth hearing. And if people are too damn dumb to actually believe everything they hear, then things are worse than I thought.

By the way, I find it worrying that a person with Alzheimer's can legally own a firearm, and even more worrying that the person was the chair of the NRA at the time of the interview, when his Alzheimer was already in evidence (according to you).

I agree, actually. Though, to be fair, chairing an organization is a business matter, which has little to do with firearms (even if it is the NRA). I do agree however that it's potentially worrying that he would own firearms.

-Corey

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2006, 01:51:10 PM »
Very well, here is a site analyzing the 'documentary' and showing proof of its false claims. Read it please, then reply. If you have evidence you wish to present as a counterargument, I'm fully willing to read it.

-Corey

Thanks for that insightful JPEG, from the site you refer to above:

Notice how the number of victims and the number of firearms go hand in hand? The lower the number of firearm, the lower the number of murder victims.

I think that this rather proves my point. Fewer guns => fewer murders.

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2006, 01:58:44 PM »
Odeon, you are misinterpreting. "Total firearms" does not stand for the number of firearms but how many were killed by firearms.