Author Topic: Who thinks Maralyn Monroe was 'fat'?  (Read 2985 times)

midlifeaspie

Re: Who thinks Maralyn Monroe was 'fat'?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »
Fuck the modeling industry. It's nothing but a destructive and superficial waste to society which causes nothing but pain, jealousy, misery, and vanity.

I much rather see real pictures of real people than some 2-bit photoshopped whore. :orly:

That's a pretty strong opinion to have regarding something that doesn't really affect you directly.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 04:45:05 PM »
They are the ones telling everyone how they should look and to the harm of many.

Here is an article that has info on the thinning of models
http://www.wisegeek.com/why-are-fashion-models-so-thin.htm

Here is one on a model who died from anorexia
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/20/world/americas/20iht-models.3604439.html

Another on models and eating disorders
http://americathebeautifuldoc.com/2009/10/26/eating-disorders-among-fashion-models-rising/

While there are some that may be naturally thin I feel most are not.  Showing women of all sizes would be a good thing in my opinion.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Psychophant

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 04:46:09 PM »
 :agreed:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »
I don't really care since I'm not the target audience.

Gotta love media and it's ability to control people, though. Not just mass media, but *all* forms including even the most obscure music/film/book you know. All are made to deliberately manipulate you mentally, emotionally etc.

DukeNukem

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 06:14:09 PM »
Fuck the modeling industry. It's nothing but a destructive and superficial waste to society which causes nothing but pain, jealousy, misery, and vanity.

I much rather see real pictures of real people than some 2-bit photoshopped whore. :orly:

That's a pretty strong opinion to have regarding something that doesn't really affect you directly.

Yeah, but that's really the truth.

Binty

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 06:14:39 PM »

Yeah, but that's really the truth.

::)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 06:27:02 PM »
I agree with what Bint said on the previous page. it's interestign how someone who says similar thigns about fat women will automatically be jumped on for being intolerant or shallow, yet it's fine for people to constantly claim thin women aren;t "real women" or are just stick and bones etc etc

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »
They are the ones telling everyone how they should look and to the harm of many.

Here is an article that has info on the thinning of models
http://www.wisegeek.com/why-are-fashion-models-so-thin.htm

Here is one on a model who died from anorexia
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/20/world/americas/20iht-models.3604439.html

Another on models and eating disorders
http://americathebeautifuldoc.com/2009/10/26/eating-disorders-among-fashion-models-rising/

While there are some that may be naturally thin I feel most are not.  Showing women of all sizes would be a good thing in my opinion.

I thought this comment from your first link was telling:

Well, I just have to state my comment. My daughter also is a model, and could have been very successful. She was signed with top agencies around the world, however she has quit all this because of the constant pressure to stay thin.
She has traveled all over the world and seen girls who starve themselves to stay thin. Most models are not naturally thin; they are pressured to stay that way. My daughter was the smart one to say, "You know what? It's not worth it!" She is 5ft 10 and was told to keep her weight around 110 pounds. She is now 125 wears a size 4 and is happy!

And believe it or not, she is too big for New York and the likes. So don't tell me that the modeling industry is not to blame for models dying or committing suicide because of that pressure to stay a size 0 as they mature.

DukeNukem

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 07:19:27 PM »
I have no empathy for models who die of starvation, just to keep themselves thin. They could have at least pursued an actual career instead of trying to get an easy way out with their "looks". Bitches. :orly:

Binty

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2011, 07:21:26 PM »
I have no empathy for models who die of starvation, just to keep themselves thin. They could have at least pursued an actual career instead of trying to get an easy way out with their "looks". Bitches. :orly:

Yes, unfortunately not everyone can be blessed with good looks  :zoinks:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2011, 07:22:09 PM »

They used what they had.  If YOU had an easy way out of poverty, wouldn't you use it?   :chin:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Osensitive1

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »
Starvation is a lot like gluttony in that food becomes an evil.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »

I think someone isn't getting his fan mail answered   :orly:

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »
She's a natural beauty. It's a shame that style of beauty won't make a come back any time soon. :(
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

P7PSP

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »
This book was actually an interesting read. It is about 20 years old but still relevant to the issue. http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Myth-Images-Against-Women/dp/0385423977/