Educational

Author Topic: Lotsa bloody noobs lately. The funny thing is.....  (Read 3946 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: Lotsa bloody noobs lately. The funny thing is.....
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 03:40:55 AM »
I like to see the replies from  noobs.  They put a different angle on things.  I am still new but can predict
what some folks will say on a certain subject.

Am beginning to see why a lot of them don't hang around though.
blah blah blah

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 03:45:01 AM »
I like to see the replies from  noobs.  They put a different angle on things.  I am still new but can predict

Why?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 03:46:13 AM »

Why don't they hang around?

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2011, 03:55:38 AM »
Just think maybe the callout stuff should not be visivble until you have made so many posts.  I was lucky when i joined as there wasn't
much going on.

I must admit that i worry sometimes, about posting stuff  - in case it is taken the wrong way and i get a 'call out'  so i am sure
it must make others hesitate about wether they ought to bother posting.

I would poop my pants if someone like Sir Les called me out -  think i would unplug internet for a while! -  like several years lol
blah blah blah

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011, 04:18:37 AM »
Just think maybe the callout stuff should not be visivble until you have made so many posts.  I was lucky when i joined as there wasn't
much going on.

I must admit that i worry sometimes, about posting stuff  - in case it is taken the wrong way and i get a 'call out'  so i am sure

I would poop my pants if someone like Sir Les called me out -  think i would unplug internet for a while! -  like several years lol

Mmm, a lot of callouts are actually in threads themselves. I do remember getting absolutely reamed a few times not long after I first joined when I voiced my opinions on stuff.

Plus there were a few pretty volatile incidents that I probably found really upsetting at the time, and not sure quite how to tackle.

In fact, it was only in one post today that I really bit my tongue hard on something, probably for the first time I recall, and that is the beauty of being here....often I will have said something, and realise that there is another perspective, or I will say something off the cuff, not realising that I'll be called out on it later on.

I actually think the callouts are a bit more tamer than they used to be.

I think you just need to be the most authentic version of yourself. Though, that's not to say that everyone else operates under that mode, because clearly, they do not. I also know that sometimes a callout is for pure shits and giggles, rather than an issue that you want to call someone out for their bullshit on...identifying the difference is the big thing. For example, I know Schleed is just a sarcastic cunt to me because he wants a rise, but if I nab someone, it may be unintentional, but I'll meet the challenge on my opinion. eris is a good example of that. Or sometimes, I get sick of someone's hypocricy, and feel unable to keep my mouth shut.

Odeon tried to call me out once, and I simply ignored it, he was being a wanker and I knew it was not going to resolve anything and just be a waste of time.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2011, 04:41:04 AM »
yes thats a good way of describing it.

i think, even though this site is in english, sometimes words and phrases can confuse things

for example

'backing yourself up'  or 'backing up your shit'  -  it means something different where i come
from.  It means have you got enough muscle to do some damage,  and are you hard enough
to fight me?  'back up' also means getting a firm together and kicking shit out of someone.
It means enough words, lets see what your made of..

so, when i see the words, i find it hard to relate to the fact that you mean 'just words'

'that is just what it means isn't it?'  I automatically associate it with violence.  that makes me
feel edgy.  that's why i don't read the callouts much.

good idea about ignoring a callout though, like you said you did with Odeon.  I think i would
deflect to the 'other side'   :zoinks:
blah blah blah

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2011, 04:44:33 AM »

i think, even though this site is in english, sometimes words and phrases can confuse things

for example

'backing yourself up'  or 'backing up your shit'  -  it means something different where i come
from.  It means have you got enough muscle to do some damage,  and are you hard enough
to fight me?  'back up' also means getting a firm together and kicking shit out of someone.

so, when i see the words, i find it hard to relate to the fact that you mean 'just words'

'that is just what it means isn't it?'  I automatically associate it with violence.  that makes me

good idea about ignoring a callout though, like you said you did with Odeon.  I think i would

Jesus, bodie is posting Cal style...not to the edge
of the page.

Hell, I'm scared.
'Twas a time where I thought that kind
of thing was over.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2011, 04:51:17 AM »
lol,

nothing sinister going on
 am using my teeny weeny lap top with a tiny screen.  hard to see the words so i magnify.  makes part of the screen out of view so rather than move it along i just start a new line.  is that better?   who is cal?????
blah blah blah

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2011, 06:06:49 AM »
Calandale who used to post here. His posts looked like poetry, he loved the Enter key.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2011, 06:26:49 AM »
Calandale who used to post here. His posts looked like poetry, he loved the Enter key.

Sorry bod, yeah, I went to respond, and it all seemed too much to sum up Cal. His posts make for interesting reading.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2011, 06:35:16 AM »
much going on.

I am genuinely sorry if I upset or scare you. I am not so bad. Mainly bark.
I do like you Bodie.
Do not worry about what you post. Be you and be confident in being you.
If it helps. Eclair is right, this place used to be a lot more visceral. It felt to me as a noob very exciting because it seemed there would be a slow build up of forums angst over some crap and slow dividing of opinions and suddenly it was on and bad blood spilled and washed away and everyone would settle down and new friendships formed and dirty laundry aired and misunderstandings cleared and a new respect for a different opinion or a better understanding of what others felt about things good or bad.
Naturally I fucking loved it.
I will say that us longer term members have mellowed a lot. Hell there was a time that I had probably had at least one or two arguments with something like 90% of the active membership at some point. I doubt I would have had bad words with 30% of them now.
I do like the callouts but what you are probably going to be surprised about is i am not overly in my element in them. I don't shy away from them if I think them necessary and if so I always go this track, but my enjoyment of callouts usually comes in watching others go hammer and tongs. I sit back read and laugh or nod and award karma and post inanely in the peanut gallery.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2011, 06:56:19 AM »

I tend to post to the left myself, because the way my chair is set up in relation to the computer desk, I am directly in front of the left side
of my monitor, and so I like to keep my posts within my immediate field of vision instead of having them run all the way to the right.   :snowman:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »

for example

Odeon is fair in a callout.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

eris

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2011, 01:00:23 PM »
IF you always say what you mean, and have a little conviction in yourself, I dont see how ANYONE could touch you. I think the only time someone gets in trouble with themselves is when they talk out of their ass.

P7PSP

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »
Just tell them don't touch me there.  :zoinks: