Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 96196 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #5100 on: April 25, 2022, 02:05:32 PM »
Last week's meeting in Munich was more productive than I thought. I keep spotting problems other customers have that I'd be able to fix with the design we outlined last week.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5101 on: April 25, 2022, 04:32:45 PM »
Plussed you once, already, but the treehouse is awesome.

I would love to see the inside.
These guys = :viking:

Another point regarding this photo and Texas living, west of the piney wood logging part of the state, anyway. If there is something green growing you do not step on it. No need for a keep off the grass sign. Long time residents understand this and these "yanqui" carpetbaggers who come to town will have it explained to them in short order if they step on anything green.

Also, if there is something growing that is making shade, there needs to be a life or death reason to cut it down. You don't just cut down a tree because you think it's in your way. Go someplace else to try your plan. There are plenty of places for buildings but to most, trees are treasure.

Don't think that's a thing? Spend an afternoon in the south Texas sun, then report back. I know, Arizona is even hotter, but those people also know all this and build half their structures partially underground.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 06:21:19 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5102 on: April 25, 2022, 04:45:37 PM »
If there is life on other planets, what's the likelihood that they're parallel worlds?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5103 on: April 25, 2022, 06:39:27 PM »
For a devout atheist, Isaac Asimov colored an amazing future in his writings, going many hundreds of thousands of years into the future with his "universe."

There were no aliens. Only humans, all from our own tiny little speck of wet dust. Whether it was Creation or Evolution, it only happened once.
I kind of think that, if I were a gambling man, the math is against anything only happening once in our universe.

Toward the end of his future history, space travel was almost a million years old and the galaxy was heavily populated with our future selves, with the same troublesome tendencies.
Interesting was how they evolved differently on different environments to the point many were no longer recognizable as human, except they were human, originally.

Oh, it is not just one of his books. It is a theme across all of his writings over a lifetime of work. Much of which I have read and enjoyed. He has many textbooks that I have not read, however, mostly biochemistry related, pertaining to his own studies.

Parallel?
I like to think there is a world out there with a better version of me that did not marry that first wife of mine and held on until I found my REAL wife/life partner.
There are however even more reasons for me to not think about that possibility.

I wonder somethimes as to how we would know that a particular "world" was a parallel to our own.
A lot of people write about this idea and it is almost always a fun, athletic mental exercise.

Maybe someone will comment with something to add. I can not.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 09:44:08 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #5104 on: April 25, 2022, 06:47:20 PM »
This was over the weekend but I noticed the stores I went into had removed the plastic shields at the checkouts, although the clerks were still wearing masks. I didn't expect that. I figure even if there were no covid it's probably nice for a cashier to have the shields considering how many people probably cough or sneeze right in front of them everyday.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5105 on: April 25, 2022, 07:22:00 PM »
That removing the barriers thing seems a bit premature to me.

I went into a liquor store a couple of weeks back. I don't use alcohol anymore (recently found an email I wrote to my brother which nailed down the date, no booze for me since 2011), but a prolific beer importer is the only place I can find my favorite, St. Pauli Girl non alcoholic beer. (Which I can fully recommmend, btw.)

They were installing upgraded, more fully covered screens for the counters. Seemed to be way too much for the old lady waiting in line, impatiently. I wonder if she is still alive.

I am not convinced that this whole thing is over, yet. I seem to be among the few. But, believe me, I want it done and gone as much as anyone.
We're just not there yet and a few more peaks are ahead for us.

Wear a mask, don't touch any mucous membrane areas, wash your hands and arms, clean everything again if someone comes to your house, etc. etc. etc.

Oh, and get your fucking shots people!!  It doesn't do much right away, but if you are "colonized" (I know that is usually considered to be a bacterial thing) by this virus, you have a better chance of not suffering severely. That note alone should be enough for any thinking individual.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 09:48:07 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5106 on: April 25, 2022, 07:40:10 PM »
I see nice masks available free to patrons at many stores, BUT, they are all just piled up in an easy to grab display. Free to grab for anyone.

No consideration whatsoever for the possibly that the entire stack of masks is already contaminated, from a person grabbing one a few minutes ago. WTF!!

Maybe if those masks were enclosed in some kind packaging still, instead of just opening a huge box from China and throwing them out there, pretending to help?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5107 on: April 26, 2022, 09:53:53 AM »
Actually, dropping in to CVS this morning after my PT session, they had packaged masks right at the entry door for free to anyone, which had the "Honeywell" brand name. Still sealed, N95. Very nice masks.

Limit was posted as three, please. I grabbed one.

Maybe someone IS trying to help.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5108 on: April 26, 2022, 04:10:35 PM »
At least I don't get picked on by the old geezers for still wearing my mask(s).

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5109 on: April 27, 2022, 04:06:23 AM »

Not all of us old geezers are that stupid.
 :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5110 on: April 29, 2022, 12:01:20 PM »
DIY camper/tiny house, made from a retired horse trailer. I'd have to say, well fucking done!!

Even has quasi-skylights, storage over the hitch tongue, turn out windows.

... and a tiny, two seater, roofed porch with columns!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 12:13:04 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5111 on: April 29, 2022, 02:04:46 PM »
Going through much more old stuff still, I came across a box of contact sheets with negatives, from my six month long sabbatical in Mexico when I left the music business. It was much more safe to travel in Mexico back then, most especially as a "rich" American.

Some shots are amazing. Sunsets, sunrises, burros, mountains, streams, my guide's kids and just people shots of third world villages beaming with super awesome people, jumping at the gift of their days, from Durango to Cabo. I was asked over and over how far south I had to go to get to Durango, Mexico. Dummies! I told them, not far, I drove west from my parents' south Texas home.

Over a hundred rolls of film I took with me, which I just processed to make contact sheets with no prints made. Cheaper that way and more professional in many ways. I shot a lot and I ran out of film just after I reached Cabo San Lucas, where I stayed for a while. Not so much touristy shit going there back then. Once we reached Matzatlan we boarded a "ferry" to take us the miles across the gulf to El Sur De California peninsula.

Wasn't much of a ferry, but what a ride! Fishing the whole way. Loaded with fresh sea bass upon arrival. All the eats were set for a week.

Fished for weeks off the, then vacant, shores near Cabo. I don't think Cabo Wabo existed, yet or I would have gone looking for Sammy himself. We both knew Joe at that time. That might have made for an introduction at least.

I no longer own printing and processing equipment, so getting a digi image will require me to get my Nikon bellows duplicating system back into operation. Can do, but until I am ready to make me a few wall hangers of a few of the best, I'll just have to keep that project in the "To Do"  category.

It was still life on the road, but there were no roads. Not in a normal sense of the word. We walked and sometimes road a burro. I had bought three for the trip and the guide had two of his own. Crossing the mountains was incredible and yes I ate lizards and snakes, cooked them first, unlike my guide's kids often did with the little ones too small for the fire. An occsional prairie chicken, which my guide took with just a sling. That man ciould work a "David Style" sling like I had never seen before.
Guns were not allowed, but he did not need one for feeding his crew.

I had actually bought a building in Durango to store my car when the roads got to be too rough for the fucking Crown Victoria LTD I owned. When we returned from our two month long "hike" I wanted to just give the family who had guided me all that shit. But they would not take the burros. Burros were too valuable.

The building, no problem, they would take it. Buildings come and go, but burros can help you make a living. They would not allow me to just give them the animals. I ended up selling all three burros for what I had paid for one. It was still too much for this extended family of about twenty five, including at least four generations to afford.
But word spread around town and people came from all over to give them a couple of pesos to help.

I went down there with eight thousand dollars in my pocket, thinking it would be a nice vacation. I spent three times the amount of time I had originally planned, had a lifetime of fun, unwound my stove up soul, bought a building, three burros, ate and boarded myself for six months, and came home with over four thousand dollars still.

Travel in the wilds of Mexico was cheap back then.
I had decided to return home and make a living with my camera. Soul searching well underway. And it worked; I made a decent living with my cameras.

One big box I had found last month had the left overs of a case of page protectors I had bought once. I've spent the last hour putting these contact prints into proper archive protectors. That will make going back through later a lot easier and keep them healthy for years to come.

So much memory lane shit going on around here. All I'm really trying to do is "finish" moving into this new home.
 :lol1:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5112 on: April 29, 2022, 02:15:27 PM »
I'll try not to do a wall of text with every box, but that one was special.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5113 on: April 29, 2022, 07:45:02 PM »
I like your experience stories. You've done things I've never heard about before. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5114 on: April 29, 2022, 10:02:43 PM »
 :lol1:

I'm sure you've done things I've never heard of as well.

I get started going through some of these boxes and the memories just flood over me. Every touch fills me with old and sometimes forgotten emotions.

I posted something you can read in one minute, but I spent six months of my life in the wilderness trying to figure what the hell I am going to do with myself. I had given up on everything I had ever known.  Except for my camera and my camera got me through most of the worst of it.

That was my main point, but I rambled on too much.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 10:04:20 PM by DirtDawg »