Educational

Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 83884 times)

rock hound and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #3615 on: July 31, 2017, 06:45:04 PM »
Asbestos is nasty, DO use a suitable particle mask, preferably a gas mask with additional particulate filters like an ABEK-1 cartridge with added particle filter (these look like round disk shaped pads and go over the top of the filter canisters and under the screw on part that holds the canisters in) If you need I could, for just the price of the mask and filters plus shipping send you a suitable one. I need to go to my place for masks, gas tanks and the like anyway to get a new mask that fits  better than the two I have now.

(...)

What sort of particle mask was it raxy? I can easily dig up the specs I should think and see how it should fare against asbestos. Even if not specifically rated for something, many masks can deal with many things not specifically listed.

I'll get the specs on it next time I'm out at the house.

I don't plan to actually remove the asbestos tiles. The guy from the testing company who confirmed the asbestos content said it would be expensive and unnecessary, since they're in good shape. They aren't cracked or water damaged (though there is an area of the basement that clearly had water damage in the past, but the tiles are already removed from that room) and there's no buckling of the surface. They are going to be covered up with carpet in most rooms and plywood and then linoleum in one of the rooms.

So I hope I won't need to get one of the heavy duty respirators. It's good of you to offer, but it also probably doesn't make financial sense to ship one overseas. Maybe better to recommend specs and see if I can find something here. I found this which is very cheap compared to $100+ for other models, and available in Canada, not sure if I could get it in local hardware stores but if not, maybe order it.

I don't know if I would need a better asbestos mask just to paint the room, if I wasn't doing anything to the tiles.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #3616 on: July 31, 2017, 07:10:43 PM »
Asbestos is nasty,

Actually, asbestos has gotten a bad rap.

There's only a few varieties of it that are significantly carcinogenic.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3617 on: August 01, 2017, 04:24:35 AM »
As long as the asbestos isn't damaged there is no danger, nor need for a mask. Just don't cut the tiles up or go drilling in them.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3618 on: August 02, 2017, 08:46:33 AM »
What sort of particle mask was it raxy?

McCordick Glove & Safety NIOSH N95 Particulate Respirator, 42CFR84 approved.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3619 on: August 02, 2017, 09:58:55 AM »
We have a lot of caterpillars here. One in particular you can't touch with your bare hands because they're known to be "poisonous" but they can't kill humans. The liquid they secrete burns your skin similar to touching stinging nettle. But we have countless amounts of them on the property. I scoop them up in leaves if they're dangling from trees and move them off to the back parts of the garden. They look like this:

And eventually turn into this:

“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3620 on: August 02, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »
That's a beautiful moth. Pity about the caterpillars.
We've got oak processionary caterpillars this year. Think they were quite good in sucking them away, because I've only seen the warning signs. Not the caterpillars nor their webbing.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3621 on: August 02, 2017, 02:51:18 PM »
The people I bought from were entirely organic in their property maintenance so no pesticides or whatnot. That means we have tons of creepy crawlies which I personally love. I've never seen so many butterflies and moths. It's amazing.

Even these guys are welcome here. I just move them to safer places.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3622 on: August 02, 2017, 05:25:34 PM »
The people I bought from were entirely organic in their property maintenance so no pesticides or whatnot. That means we have tons of creepy crawlies which I personally love. I've never seen so many butterflies and moths. It's amazing.

We've been here 27 years and were too lazy to put anything on the lawn.  So we're organic by being naturally lazy. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3623 on: August 02, 2017, 06:30:04 PM »

We've been here 27 years and were too lazy to put anything on the lawn.  So we're organic by being naturally lazy.
It's illegal here to spray pesticides. Has been for years. I'm personally not a fan because it takes 7 years for the chemicals to clear the ground. But I hear that this couple were militant about it. They were quite extreme and wouldn't do controlled burns either, or deal with the undergrowth. Not because they were lazy but because the husband was against it for some reason.  :dunno:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3624 on: August 03, 2017, 05:32:56 AM »

You would have loved my parents' yards, as they were also against using chemicals, and we lived
   near the woods.  My brother owns that house now and gets wild turkeys in the back yard.  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3625 on: August 03, 2017, 07:07:35 AM »

You would have loved my parents' yards, as they were also against using chemicals, and we lived
   near the woods.  My brother owns that house now and gets wild turkeys in the back yard.  :laugh:

We have wild turkeys too. I haven't spotted any on our property (and most likely won't as they'll stay away due to the dogs) but I've seen them down the street wandering around :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3626 on: August 03, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »
I prefer organic pesticides, my mother did too. The house was infested with spiders though when I moved in...and not the little   scrawny kind. :P

Diatomaceous earth fixed that thankfully.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3627 on: August 03, 2017, 02:57:33 PM »
The coyotes were calling back and forth to each other early this morning. That explains why one of the dogs started crying when she heard them, itching to get outside and join them. She wasn't allowed.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Online Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #3628 on: August 03, 2017, 10:16:24 PM »
  My brother owns that house now and gets wild turkeys in the back yard.  :laugh:

I once heard the US national bird was almost the wild turkey. I wonder if Americans would have still been so arrogant without the eagle.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3629 on: August 05, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »
It's nice here.