Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84076 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #3600 on: July 21, 2017, 12:49:57 AM »
The ice cream truck went by and was playing Christmas music :-\
A bit early, heh.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3601 on: July 21, 2017, 05:53:39 PM »
Helicopter flying around all afternoon low and slow and I just found out why.
MILFORD, CT — The Milford Fire Department and several other agencies are in the midst of a rescue operation off Silver Sands State Park near Charles Island, said Fire Battalion Chief Anthony Fabrizi. Two people, who are from Stratford, were swept off the sandbar leading to Charles Island and into the water Friday.

One person was rescued, while emergency crews are searching for the second person, Fabrizi said. Fabrizi said at about 12:45 pm, Milford Fire dispatch received a 911 call reporting two men in their mid 20s had been swept off the Charles Island sandbar.
   Link

It's not even a mile from my house, someone drowns out there almost every year  there is a lot of signage but nobody pays attention.  Its not a hard hike but if you get the timing wrong and the tide comes in  the currents are very strong and can pull you off the tombolo to deep water.  I think they need one with the number of people who have died and there names maybe that would make an impression.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3602 on: July 22, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
The more things change, the more they stay the same. I haven't been in Finland in a few years but it's all the same really.

In these days and this world, there's something to be said about continuity.

Continuity is a good thing.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3603 on: July 27, 2017, 02:58:07 PM »
Helicopter flying around all afternoon low and slow and I just found out why.
MILFORD, CT — The Milford Fire Department and several other agencies are in the midst of a rescue operation off Silver Sands State Park near Charles Island, said Fire Battalion Chief Anthony Fabrizi. Two people, who are from Stratford, were swept off the sandbar leading to Charles Island and into the water Friday.

One person was rescued, while emergency crews are searching for the second person, Fabrizi said. Fabrizi said at about 12:45 pm, Milford Fire dispatch received a 911 call reporting two men in their mid 20s had been swept off the Charles Island sandbar.
   Link

It's not even a mile from my house, someone drowns out there almost every year  there is a lot of signage but nobody pays attention.  Its not a hard hike but if you get the timing wrong and the tide comes in  the currents are very strong and can pull you off the tombolo to deep water.  I think they need one with the number of people who have died and there names maybe that would make an impression.
That's sad. I find that living around water, it's only the locals who really know the temperament of the water and how vicious it can be and how quickly it can change. We have issues with that up here as well. People also have no idea what a riptide looks like from shore and it's valuable to know if you're going to go into place with that are prone to them.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3604 on: July 28, 2017, 12:50:58 AM »
They finished the removal of ab asbestos  roof a hundred metres from me. Was a cool sight, big crane, carrying a cage with men in hazzard suits. Looked cool.

Now other crane there to place new roof. Less fun to look at.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3605 on: July 28, 2017, 07:29:01 AM »
Asbestos is scary stuff.

So far, every workman who has come to work on the house has been really great.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3606 on: July 29, 2017, 05:56:05 AM »
Asbestos is scary stuff.

It is. My stepdad worked with asbestos as a plumber when he was young. Now he has 2/3 lung capacity. He is still awesome though, and plays golf and goes to the gym regularly.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3607 on: July 29, 2017, 06:00:22 AM »
Asbestos is scary stuff.

It is. My stepdad worked with asbestos as a plumber when he was young. Now he has 2/3 lung capacity. He is still awesome though, and plays golf and goes to the gym regularly.

I salute your badass stepdad!  :headbang:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3608 on: July 30, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »
I have zero tolerance for people lacking authenticity. It occurred to me while at the warehouse. I had to deal with two different saleswomen. One I really like. She's as real as it gets. The second is all showy, runs her mouth and constantly "on" and I kept walking away from her while she was talking to the SO because it made my skin crawl. She called me just now and I couldn't wait to get off the phone.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3609 on: July 30, 2017, 09:30:09 PM »
I stripped out the baseboards from a room that has asbestos tile today.

:hide:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3610 on: July 30, 2017, 11:46:14 PM »
^Not good.

The college carpark floods when it rains, right where I like to park my car. Paid for it by getting wet feet.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3611 on: July 31, 2017, 05:44:49 AM »
I stripped out the baseboards from a room that has asbestos tile today.

:hide:

Are you wearing a mask/ventilator/any safety equipment?  :o
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3612 on: July 31, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
I had a particulate mask but it wasn't rated for asbestos.

How not good is it? The carpet guy, who knew the tiles were asbestos, advised me to remove the quarter round at the bottom of the molding when he found out I was going to paint the room. When I started pulling it up, though, it had little nails that went through the tile. I was being slightly reckless and finished pulling it up anyway. Then I took up the baseboards themselves, which only had nails through the drywall.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3613 on: July 31, 2017, 10:04:39 AM »
You should be okay if the tile isn't broken.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #3614 on: July 31, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
Asbestos is nasty, DO use a suitable particle mask, preferably a gas mask with additional particulate filters like an ABEK-1 cartridge with added particle filter (these look like round disk shaped pads and go over the top of the filter canisters and under the screw on part that holds the canisters in) If you need I could, for just the price of the mask and filters plus shipping send you a suitable one. I need to go to my place for masks, gas tanks and the like anyway to get a new mask that fits  better than the two I have now. I want a full-face mask not just a strap-on one, something compatible for a full-body hazmat suit, the kind of thing that looks like a space-suit you see in movies featuring deadly plagues, or military special ops teams in chemical warfare zones, something that operates in not simply a filtering but a tank-fed  positive pressure or demand valve positive pressure NBC suit. Not because I want anything to do with chemical weapons or deadly viruses. Interesting enough reading certainly but I don't either have a USE for lethal plagues and poxes, or chemical weapons. Its just for proper protection when working with certain chemicals that you quite simply, do not get either a warning, or a second chance from. You fuck up, your dead sort of thing. Partly after a scare with something accidentally formed once in the past that could well have killed me in minutes effectively (although I'd not have known I was dead meat until many hours later, after my lungs started bleeding out plasma and I'd have drowned in my own blood.) Thankfully I was wearing a half face mask and I recognized the smell from my reading and mental databanks, although faint and with little warning properties itself, I knew what it actually MEANT, and knew to flee for my life, and ventilate the entire premises after coming back wearing every bit of protective gear that I  could muster, and even behind the high-spec mask, holding my breath, coming in long enough to open a window or two, stick a fan on and then retreat again until I could get away and take another breath or two from a region far, far away. Had I not known what that faint, faint smell meant, it would easily have been ignorable since it was not in any way irritating or caustic etc. Subtle, and absolutely lethal is what it was, although I am not about to name it, for my own security's sake. Certainly not something I would ever, ever work with, or make deliberately. But that could have done for me within a few breaths unprotected at just some few parts per million in air. Or one close up whiff and I'd have been for it, and nothing that could be done about it either. Thankfully my emergency decontamination procedures are instinctive by now, and whilst I have needed them only maybe twice or three times in my life, four if you count non-fatal but crippling permanently, thanks to the filth tampering with my perfectly lawfully owned and used property illegally and maliciously. I both read up on whatever could possibly go wrong in anything I do first, prepare accordingly, and its...well...practice with things that merely are unpleasant to the senses such as foul stinkers of high potency make for good practice, or something that will just burn you. Now its ingrained and almost reflexive. Saved my sight after the filth fucked with something they should not have been there to fuck with in the first place, much less actually fucked with. If my chemical 'oh shit here we go..' autopilot mode had not been exactly that-instananeous and automatic, the pain would have incapacitated me in seconds and at worst I had about ten seconds to do something about it and keep my eyes.

What sort of particle mask was it raxy? I can easily dig up the specs I should think and see how it should fare against asbestos. Even if not specifically rated for something, many masks can deal with many things not specifically listed. For example, my ABEK-1 combined organic vapors/mists/fumes, acid gases and alkaline gases twin-canister half face mask is rated against chlorine gas, bromine vapors etc. but it says nothing about iodine monochloride, which is moisture sensitive, releasing strong acid, halogens and other things you don't want to breathe in, its air sensitive I THINK, not totally sure about sensitivity to oxygen, but it fumes like a jilted lover  in air due to the moisture content, letting off vapors that will turn stainless steel keck clips to this: in maybe an hour, from the concentration of vapors on a teflon-taped, tight-fitted ground glass joint. After about 20min to a half hour it had bronzed in color, still looked shiny and actually got quite a nice patina, unusual for stainless steel, which I might actually try using for more artful purposes. But after a little longer that is the result:

The mask cartridges in question are rated for halogens other than fluorine (which would just ignite the mask on contact probably. It'll set fire to bricks, concrete and rocks in dilute streams of fluorine gas mixed in an inert carrier gas, never mind rubber and plastics! but the halogens are composed of two halogen atoms, of the same kind, E.g two chlorine atoms to form one molecule of Cl2 gas, or bromine, iodine Br+Br=Br2, I+I=I2 and so on so forth. Iodine monochloride is in some ways similar, its formed of iodine and chlorine, rather than simply both atoms being the same kind of halogen. The bonds between the atoms are weaker, and it is more reactive than either, and has some properties leaving it sort of in the middle between the two with respect to some of its properties. It is, for example, a dark, fuming liquid that is somewhat reminiscent of bromine, its a powerful oxidizing agent, its highly toxic and it forms an unusual polyatomic hydrohalic acid when hydrolyzed by water, and like the halogens will insert into an alkene C=C double bond, to give an unusual mixed chloroiodide that I can forsee will turn out rather useful in chemistry pursuits of mine. Like bromine, the element composed of two atoms of same species, which itself fits in between chlorine gas and iodine (a solid which easily vaporises and sublimes), and is a dense, toxic fuming liquid, although fluorine aside, afaik the elemental halogens do not easily just hydrolyze, ICl does on the other hand, its stable when kept dry, and ideally topped off with some dry argon, in a bottle composed of something that will resist being attacked by it, with a perfluorocarbon based plastic top, a sealing disk in the cap of the bottle and plenty teflon tape wrapped round the threads of the bottle neck. Which is how I keep the iodine monochloride that I made and distilled successfully. Sealed up like that, securely, and kept in the fridge (the chemical fridge I mean, dedicated to the holding of things you really don't want to end up in your supper and that are volatile)

Its stable, when stored like that, but if exposed to air, the water vapor traces cause it to fume profusely giving off vapors that I'd really not want to even think about inhaling.  And if dropped into water, a single drop reacted quite violently, and decomposed more or less instantly on the spot without having time to sink. Dripped onto a little bit of (red) phosphorus powder (outside, masked up, gloved up, booted up, full face visor over goggles and the gas mask, leather trench wrapped round the lot) it instantly burst into a searing white flame and some nasty ass fumes. Some fine metal powders too were ignited. Haven't tested it in organic solvents yet, but when I've the time, things like acetone, naphtha, paper, plastics, oils and various organic solvents will be tested, again outside and on a very small scale using drops or two of ICl and 0.5ml-1ml per solvent, or 100mg quantities of solids, excluding wood, paper etc. which will just have a squirt applied to a sheet of paper, a dry piece of wood etc.)

And after a (physically caused, thanks to a running nose making the seal valve stick and come loose) accident that resulted in me getting a TINY breath, I had to be prescribed an asthma reliever inhaler to breathe properly for the next 3-4 days or so. So I know that it does not take much at all to cause serious harm. When working with it I replace my mask cartridges probably far more zealously than need be, hourly or with higher concentrations, half hourly. Because you don't get much of a warning before it will do some serious damage. It can be smelled at much lower concentrations than are harmful, its not one of those sneaky little ninja-toxins like say carbon monoxide that creep up and stab you in the back before you ever know its there or off you so fast you haven't a chance, and its irritant, like Cl2, Br2 etc. at a far lower concentration than it takes to do damage, but a mask failure and sudden deep breath etc (I didn't get anything of the kind, I realized and I ran for it, holding my breath after breathing out the moment I sensed its odor to get out and fix the mask) and it'd do some damage alright.  So from the very fact my own mask (one of the two I have) simply will permit me to work with, or synthesize, distill etc. ICl without either suffering irritant effects or worse, that itself tells me that the mask, although not rated for ICl or ICl3 (both were present, plus chlorine gas) will protect me when used properly. Doesn't make the stuff any less dangerous if it were to be treated with disrespect or stupidity, but the absence of a rating for a specific chemical does not AUTOMATICALLY render it useless against it.

And there are factors that affect breathing gear requirement such as concentration of fumes, dusts, vapors, gases etc. such, the duration which the mask user is to be exposed, or if its simply an emergency escape air tank to provide sufficient breathing time, to either act to remedy the situation, run the fuck away or both in case of working with something at a given concentration and then an accident resulting in an increase, such as a spill, a gas tank of something being punctured, left open accidentally, blown up in a fire, something being spilled, dropped and a container breaking etc.

So the trick is to plan ahead, and plan also for exigencies that would result in exceeding the specs of whatever equipment is used/needed. Those 'air recirculation system, meet faecal matter' moments that are not planned TO happen, but owing to the hands of Mssrs. Murphy and Sod sticking undesired fingers in your particular kind of pie ought to be anticipated and planned FOR if they DO happen regardless of intentions to the opposite effect.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.