Educational

Author Topic: What smells are you smelling right now?  (Read 5770 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What smells are you smelling right now?
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2017, 07:03:27 PM »
  Right now I smell snowy fresh winter air as I air out my stuffy bedroom!  :snowman:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2017, 06:01:43 AM »
The horrible stink of butyric acid. Its an abomination. Acrid, vile, caustic-choking acidic ultra-concentrated essence of rancid fat and vomit. And it follows you like a bailiff chasing a debtor; and hangs around for days.

I've needed to use n-butyric anhydride recently quite a few times, and that smell of the acid byproduct is really stomach-churning. It just...knocks one sick. Because it IS sick, pretty much, since n-butyric acid is the compound chiefly responsible for that bitter, acrid, rancid stench of throw-up, and for  every mole of butyric anhydride reacted to form the amide I am working on optimizing the synthetic yield of trying to find the best reaction conditions, every damn mole of the anhydride, which doesn't smell so terrible as the acid, generates an equimolar proportion of butyric acid in very concentrated form. I think I'm going to try something like trapping the acid as a low molecular weight ester and distilling it off. Hell it might even come in useful some day.

Methyl n-butyrate according to wikipedia has an intense sweet smell of pineapples, the n-pentyl ester has apparently a strong pear-apricot-like smell, and the ethyl ester has quite a lot of variable overtones to it ranging from pineapple-fresh orange juice to bubblegum. So methinks, since carboxylic acid esters usually have fruity smells (although not always nice, for example, I really hate the acetone-toluene like smell of ethyl acetate, a common lab solvent. Its not hated by everyone, I just personally really do not like it whatsoever.  To many people it smells nice. To me, its disgusting.

But since the butyric acid itself is not of much use to me, trapping it as an an aliphatic or cycloaliphatic alkyl ester, sounds far more pleasant. Essence of distilled, concentrated tossed cookies vs sweet pineapple or fresh orange sounds, well there is just no competition, and I can always use the esters as solvents as replacement for EtOAc if needs call for the use of ethyl acetate, I'd sooner have pineapple or bubblegum scent than the sweet but disgusting, sickly smell of EtOAc. Or perhaps find other uses, such as in transesterification reactions to introduce the butryl ester moiety to a compound already possessed of a different carboxylic acid ester. Either way, its no contest, odour-wise given how unspeakably foul n-butyric acid itself smells. Repulsive doesn't even begin to describe it. Sour, bitter, acrid and sickly slightly sweet at the same time. Its fucking awful and I'd really rather not have to smell it ever again. And it can be smelled in the tiniest traces, and even trace quantities hang around and follow you about most persistently, for many days. Pure, undiluted butyric acid is just...there are not words to describe the world of rancidity and abject, unspeakable foulness of it.  IMO its right up there with the likes of pyridine in terms of how revolting it is. Its as utterly noxious smelling as diethyl ether, rose essential oil or chloroform smell lovely.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:21:39 AM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2017, 06:34:21 AM »
Also smelling 'R White's' lemonade in pear and elderflower version. I love elderflower drinks, the delicate smell of elderberry flowers is delightful. I've also got some raspberry lemonade from the same brand. R White's is pretty much the gold standard when it comes to PROPER lemonade. Pretty much the absolute dog's bollocks when it comes to lemonade. And when you want the very best, R-White's is THE stuff to buy. Was on offer too at the local newsagent, so I stocked up and bought about 6-7 bottles of the elderflower-pear and raspberry lemonades. Not tried the ruby red raspberry kind yet but I have no doubts whatsoever it'll be a real treat for the senses.

And I've been thirsty as hell all night and all morning, went through a full bottle of coke, the good stuff not any of that sweetener-befouled or sugar free dog muck and I'm still thirsty.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2017, 06:47:23 AM »
  Given the chemicals you work with and the smells they create, I'm surprised you can smell
   delicate fragrances in lemonade.  Your nose must be very resilient ... or well protected.  :parts:

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2017, 04:16:36 PM »
Well I do wear a mask for many things, lots of solvents, the volatile and toxic ones that is, there are some that are so non-volatile they essentially lack a vapor pressure without both heat and hard vacuum. Ionic liquids, DMSO, I wouldn't bother. But I confess, it takes a fair bit of HCl gas or ammonia for me to bother sometimes, or to bother me. Of course I do so if working with anything that is a bona-fide outright virulent poison, things like white phosphorus, because I sure as shit wouldn't want to breath in white P  vapour, carcinogens like benzene (causes leukaemia), or a lot of the very reactive (and often although not always, usually, the more reactive a chemical is, the more useful potential it has, but the greater danger it poses when it reacts with something you don't want it to, like your DNA, your cells or when it causes your face to spontaneously ignite, but I use plenty things like alkyl halides, that are carcinogenic, mutagenic and toxic, like say, methyl iodide, cinnamyl chloride to name a couple that come to mind, or toxic and highly corrosive and water/atmospheric moisture-reactive, low-boiling, volatile fuming liquids such as SOCl2 [thionyl chloride], concentrated acids and bases [for example use of 98% conc. sulfuric acid as a dehydrating agent in the synthesis of ethers or production of fine fluffy carbon 'foam' for structurally engineering stuff, and drying certain things that won't react with it, as sulfuric of such a strength is an extremely powerful dessicant and dehydrating agent, perhaps not the equal of phosphorus pentoxide, but it sucks water either inter or intra-molecularly like lawyers suck the blood of the living. ] or on the basic side, things like on the mild side of things, caustic soda and potassium hydroxide, somewhere in the middle, potassium tert-butoxide,  for really strong bases there are the alkali metal hydrides, and things like sodamide and potassium amide and whilst I've never used it, if ever need a superbase, I need only resort to burning lithium metal and then straight away immersing it into a container filled beforehand and subjected to a stream of nitrogen to exclude O2, because alone of the alkali metals AFAIK, Li forms a nitride, that exhibits the properties of a superbase. Or Li diisopropylamide for a sterically hindered, non-nucleophilic, extremely powerful base. And there are some organic superbases that go by the name of proton sponges which again are very, very strong bases (the definition of bronsted-lowry acids and bases [as opposed to Lewis acid/bases] is that the strength of a base is defined by its ability to abstract acidic protons [these are not the protons that make up atomic nuclei, but hydrogen ions of an extranuclear nature and have no involvement with nuclear physics that I know of and certainly bog all relevant in this context] from a substrate, whilst a bronsted-lowry acid is defined by its ability to protonate [donate H+ ions) a substrate.  In short, acids protonate, whilst bases deprotonate, as the primary definition of the acidity and basicity. Although of course this does not however preclude them from having additional reactivity of various kinds, such as the fact of certain acids being non-oxidizing agents, for example hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid are non-oxidizing acids, whereas nitric (HNO3) and perchloric (HClO4) acids are powerful oxidizers, HBr, hydrobromic acid, when concentrated is specifically useful for cleaving ethers to alcohols or phenols in the case of aryl ethers, and hydriodic acid, HI, is a strong reducing agent, as are phosphorous acid and hypophosphorous acids. But it is the ability to protonate that defines a bronsted-lowry acid and to deprotonate that defines a bronsted-lowry base)

I do wear a respirator mask with ABEK-1 poly-filter cartridges, for the nastier things, and for some things I'd not work with them without a full face-enclosing mask and suit, providing positive pressure and air supply from a tank.  The ABEK-1 canisters for my new mask are pretty decent IMO, in that they provide protection from organic vapours, acid gases and alkaline fumes and gases like ammonia or other volatile amines. The mask I use can also hold a pre-filter over the actual scrubber cartridges that filters out particulate shite like fine glass or asbestos fibers and other such nastiness. Although I rarely have cause to use the pre-filters because most of the hazmat materials I work with are hazardous, actually swallowing them aside, because of the vapor, are toxic gases, such as for example, chlorine, NO2, SO2, or because they contain a reactive group that is air or water/atmospheric moisture sensitive and are volatile themselves meaning the vapors hydrolyse and give off nasty fumes of their own in decomposition, such as SOCl2/thionyl chloride, which is moisture sensitive, toxic, and the vapours hydrolyze on contact with atmospheric moisture, and react violently with actual water in quantity in the liquid phase to give off sulfur dioxide and hydrogen chloride. Although rather nasty stuff, and foul smelling to boot, SOCl2 is a REALLY useful reagent, for example, capable of converting alcohols to alkyl chlorides, carboxylic acids to the corresponding acyl chloride, which are themselves excellent reagents for preparation of amides from amines, or carboxylate esters from alcohols, and SOCl2 also can, owing to its water-sensitive nature and the irreversible nature of its decomposition, well, at least under reaction conditions, its possible to make SOCl2 from SO2 and Cl2 with a catalyst tube although I've never done it myself, in a gas phase reaction passing it through a bed of heated spongy carbon, can be used for dehydration of metal chloride salts that are hydrates, such as hydrated aluminium chloride which cannot be simply roasted and the water driven off, because they decompose, to the anhydrous salts, such as for instance, by refluxing aluminium trichloride in neat SOCl2, the water of hydration reacts with the thionyl chloride to give off entirely gaseous byproducts, the sulfur dioxide and hydrogen chloride, which are easily driven off without a tedious workup, just by the heat of reflux expelling them, catching same in a scrubber tube (if one were to go put some engineering effort into designing a catalytic cycle it might even be possible to reform the SOCl2 consumed during its hydrolysis which would be fucking neat) or if not, catching the gaseous byproducts in a tank of bicarbonate or carbonate, whilst distilling off and recovering any unspent SOCl2 (its a bugger to make, requiring some nasty ass intermediate sulfur chlorides that aren't exactly a cakewalk to make and separate by distillation, moisture sensitive, acidic, highly corrosive compounds like SCl2 and disulfur dichloride, no nicer or friendlier than thionyl chloride itself, so I buy mine, although admittedly a great many hobbyists cannot purchase it, its one of the more difficult to obtain reagents, up there with red phosphorus and cyanides)

But, well, I don't let things like that get in my way:) And if I couldn't buy it I'd definitely put the effort into making it, because I enjoy the challenge, I enjoy engineering type projects as I do chemistry/bio, and love to get down and dirty so to speak (and literally after spending a day  in the home machine shop I'm damn lucky to have access to, with an old but perfectly functional manually operated capstan turret lathe, mitre saws, angle and bench grinders, dremel tool, power drills, gas torches, a tungsten carbide (I think thats what it is) based wire-saw for cutting through glass and ceramics and stone, as well as diamond-cutting wheels for the angle grinder that serve if needed to cut through stone and brick. Plus the obligatory vices (believe you me, I am not short of vices ;)), clamps, hand-saws, hammers, chisels, screwdrivers, One thing I want though and haven't got, well two things, would be a 3-D printer, and to build a plasma torch, both for cutting and welding metals, and for use of the plasma jet for deposition of ultra-thin films of the likes of graphene, silicene and similar 1-dimensional nanomaterials for experimenting with metamaterials and of course for when something needs, to use the technical term, the fucking shit roasted out of it, such as potentially helping me prepare black phosphorus; a non-toxic, pretty thoroughly unreactive, dark, nonflammable and electrically conductive, or semiconductive allotrope (two of them actually possibly three different structures such as monoclinic and cubic black phosphorus, as well, IIRC as amorphous black P) which need generally high temperatures and  pressures to  prepare.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2017, 04:10:09 PM »
Chicken and honey mustard  :green:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »
^That sounds nice.

Definitely, compared to cat poo and Spray & Wipe. One of the cats chose to have the runs outside the litter tray last night. :sick:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2017, 06:12:47 AM »
^That sounds nice.

Definitely, compared to cat poo and Spray & Wipe. One of the cats chose to have the runs outside the litter tray last night. :sick:

Yes, I did. :flo: That's why I keep staff.

People forget.

Online renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2017, 12:52:13 AM »
I managed to impress someone in my college class earlier this week. He had described a place he'd been and I said "Oh, it stinks there." Which it does (it is the Round House in Fremantle which stinks like many people have urinated there). And the guy said  "I have no sense of smell." I replied with, "Genetic anosmia?" And he said I was exactly right.

I may not impress anyone with my computer skills, but I can get a few medical things right.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2017, 08:00:44 AM »
Nicely done ren, nicely done.

That said, I've been in a few public bogs where you might go in there with a sense of smell, but the only smell that could possibly come back out with you is that which reaches the noses of other people. Pub toilets are especially awful, presumably because so many pissed people piss other than where they intended to piss. Or where they did intend to piss but the 'there' wasn't the toilet.

Just because the toilet itself is situated in the room, doesn't make whipping it out and letting the contents loose 'going to the toilet'. Just being present and employing the room does not count. Don't know if the female loos are any better (they might be, what with the having to, or it at least being more convenient to sit down) but yes, definitely, I've known some public and especially pub bogs that you might enter with a sense of smell but its unlikely that you will leave with one, not your own at any rate; after the acrid stench of fermenting incoordinated drunken slob piss strips the lining from your sinuses.

Really, its worse, by far, than standing in a cloud of hydrogen chloride gas when the filters on your mask suddenly decide to need changing. Hell there are a few pubs I've been in where I wish I'd have BROUGHT the damn thing. Although if drinking large volumes of dilute alcohol that means going to piss a lot once it reaches the other end, so best buy several packs of fresh filters and change the pair of them each time the door opens, whether or not you actually go in.

Macdonalds can be worse, or burger king, places like that. There people don't even have the excuse of being shitfaced (then again, if you are eating at macdonalds, you probably are, otherwise you'd be eating somewhere else.)

And especially in pubs, where people are likely to throw up, too, after drinking ten too many.
Vomit, piss and the smell that comes off those urinal disinfectant block things a pleasant perfume does not make.

And its getting on my nerves now, since I don't know where the smell of butyric acid is coming from. I have a nasty feeling its from when I accidentally broke a flask the other week or so, because that resulted in a jet of solvent and some nasty alkylating agent, which really wasn't something I wanted to have to go near and clean up, plus some n-butyric anhydride.

The anhydride will have hydrolyzed by now, to two molar proportions of butyric acid for every one of its acid anhydride. And there is a faint (ish) but very, very persistent acid puke smell thats been hanging around the area roughly corresponding to ground zero, and the rest of the room, again, smells like somebody threw up about two weeks ago and left it there to slowly congeal and solidify instead of cleaning it up I moved the bottle with the rest of the butyric anhydride out of the room after cleaning it up, and the bottle itself (closed, putting your nose right up to a source of  carboxylic acid anhydrides isn't a good idea, they are pretty corrosive, and when they hydrolyse its to concentrated acid, relatively weak acids they might be, but in concentrated 'glacial' form, something like 99% glacial acetic acid is a lot nastier than just strong vinegar. Won't be putting it on my chips any time soon to say the least:P) They'll quickly stink up a room with poor to fairly decent ventilation with a really quite unpleasant stinging, burning acrid choking vapor cloud. Not toxic as such just downright unpleasant to be around and physically corrosive, as opposed to actually poisonous.

Its still hanging about and just won't go away. Definitely not the bottle, as I cleaned the outside and the outside of the cap of the n-butyric anhydride container, and gave it a careful sniff from a distance whilst tightly shut. Can be detected, but only close up and very slightly. Butyric anhydride itself doesn't smell nearly as bad, not pleasant, its only when it hydrolyzes to butyric acid that it starts stinking.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2017, 12:59:15 AM »
I managed to impress someone in my college class earlier this week. He had described a place he'd been and I said "Oh, it stinks there." Which it does (it is the Round House in Fremantle which stinks like many people have urinated there). And the guy said  "I have no sense of smell." I replied with, "Genetic anosmia?" And he said I was exactly right.

I may not impress anyone with my computer skills, but I can get a few medical things right.

Genetic anosmia.  I'll have to remember that.  It's nice to have other disease geeks around.  :2thumbsup:

People forget.

Online renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2017, 01:57:50 AM »

Genetic anosmia.  I'll have to remember that.  It's nice to have other disease geeks around.  :2thumbsup:
It just popped out of my mouth like stuff sometimes does. I don't know whether to feel sorry for the guy or not, surely a lack of ability to smell also affects taste?

Glad to be a disease/medical geek with you, cbc. :green:
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2017, 02:24:03 AM »

It just popped out of my mouth like stuff sometimes does. I don't know whether to feel sorry for the guy or not, surely a lack of ability to smell also affects taste?

Glad to be a disease/medical geek with you, cbc. :green:

My father lost his sense of smell almost entirely in the last 20 years or so of his life,
  and I know he found a lot of foods flavorless, and lost appetite in his last few years.  I'd hate to lose
  my own sense of smell, though losing my sense of taste might not be the worst thing for me ...  :sumo:

It's fun to read about medical conditions!  I am very interested in giants and acromegaly.  :nerd!:

People forget.

Online renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2017, 02:39:27 AM »
Yeah I remember you posted the link to the Wikipedia article about the tallest man in the world. I read that page. It was really interesting.

I have heard of the growth hormone being activated again once the person was already an adult. Have you heard of that?
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2017, 02:48:05 AM »
Yeah I remember you posted the link to the Wikipedia article about the tallest man in the world. I read that page. It was really interesting.

I have heard of the growth hormone being activated again once the person was already an adult. Have you heard of that?

I think that's when you get acromegaly.  The epiphyses of the long bones are closed in adulthood,
  so the limbs and torso can't get longer.  The growth hormone enlarges the feet, hands, and parts of the
  skull.  Some giants have acromegaly in addition to their great height, but acromegaly can also happen
  to people of average height.  I feel compelled now to include the Wikipedia link.  :nerd!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromegaly 

People forget.