Educational

Author Topic: Any of us intimidating or scary?  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Any of us intimidating or scary?
« on: March 29, 2011, 02:38:34 AM »
I honestly don't mean to sound silly here.

I know much of the reputation  and image of I2 is akin to a roughneck bar, but that said I think that is the promoted unknown.
Individuals here? I don't think anyone here is intimidating. At all. I don't think that is a good or bad thing.
I don't think it because I am particularly thick-skinned or dense but that because people here are but and large reasonably bright and not too easily offended, but not intimidating.

I don't really figure other people's minds too well so are you guys able to shed any light here?

Are we cruising on yesteryear's i2 reputations and Aspies intimidated unnecessarily? Do you think that Aspies are likely to be intimidated not by the individuals but merely put off by the opinions and lack of moderation? Do you think some of the I2 members here ARE actually intimidating and/or scary to others? If so why? I would be pretty certain that no member here is intimidated by another member here. But I may be wring here too.

Thoughts?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Any of us intimidating or scary?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 02:41:16 AM »
I think cbc is intimidating and scary :dunce:

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:49:06 AM »
I'm naturally intimidated by anyone by default as that's due to a psychological disorder I have. But I'm trying to work on fixing that.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 03:10:10 AM »
I know I can come across as really intimidating to some people IRL. And I have had comments about how weird it was that I was liking people and getting along with people who were considered to be really intimidating.

That's my lacking of social skills I think. And I am most intimidating to those who excel in the social skills I lack I think. And in a way vice versa is true too btw.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 03:35:02 AM »

Well that is a given. I meant anyone else :P

I guess in one sense I imagine when some of us older members talk about the bad old days whether we shade it a little overly exaggerated and also whether that is just the image that has been projected and sustained?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 03:43:39 AM »

Well that is a given. I meant anyone else :P

I guess in one sense I imagine when some of us older members talk about the bad old days whether we shade it a little overly exaggerated and also whether that is just the image that has been projected and sustained?

Oh, it probably has gotten milder over the years. People knowing each other better and starting to like each other more too. But, compared to other autism related forums, this one still is a lot more blunt and direct. PC behaviour doesn't work here, and, that can still be intimidating.
And for those who don't dare to look further "tits or GTFO" it will still look like a cesspool. :P

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 04:50:28 AM »
Hope i can help you with this one, as i am still relatively new here.  I can remember 'lurking' and looking at the posts thinking -  this site is mad.  Mad as in 'whacky.'    I joined.   To be perfectly honest i probably would never have posted anything if it hadn't been for PPK, he pm'd me and was the 'friendly face' of the bunch.  So it's all PPK's fault i am here.  

When you are a noob, the place looks a bit like a train wreck.  :trainwreck:

I probably wouldn't have hung around if it hadn't been for PPK.

You are right Sir_Les there is lot's of intelligence here and i noted that and it was part of the appeal.  It's not a boastful intelligence.  It is hidden.  It is like if you care to scratch around in the dirt you will eventually hit 'treasure'.   The other analogy is once you are 'in the club'  it is like driving around in a unmarked, slightly dented saloon car,  but having a big 'fuck off beast under your bonnet'  

I did find scrap's welcome a bit intimidating.  The bewbs thing.  Hyke was friendly, and i think Callaway does a good job of asking noobs questions.  and cbc - well how could you not like her. As for the swearing and insults,  bickering between members etc well it serves it's purpose as in it keeps away the 'sensitive' ones.
blah blah blah

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 04:53:18 AM »

:plus:  :rofl:

I used to lurk here, months before I registered, and I did find the place intimidating at first.
I thought a lot of you were mean.  :emosad:  The flame wars were something new to me, and PPK in particular
(with his avatar at the time, James Woods pointing a gun, and the text that read "Harden the fuck up!")
struck a bit of fear into my heart. But I loved the smilies and I knew a few of the members, so I joined!   :lol:

EDIT: I should add that a lot of the ones who seemed mean in my lurking days are really not bad. They blast each other in arguments,
but they are not in fight mode ALL the time. They have their thoughtful, quiet moments too. I'm glad I joined.  :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:07:04 AM by couldbecousin »
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 05:21:37 AM »
Hope i can help you with this one, as i am still relatively new here.  I can remember 'lurking' and looking at the posts thinking -  this site is mad.  Mad as in 'whacky.'    I joined.   To be perfectly honest i probably would never have posted anything if it hadn't been for PPK, he pm'd me and was the 'friendly face' of the bunch.  So it's all PPK's fault i am here.  

You are right Sir_Les there is lot's of intelligence here and i noted that and it was part of the appeal.  It's not a boastful intelligence.  It is hidden.  It is like if you care to scratch around in the dirt you will eventually hit 'treasure'.   The other analogy is once you are 'in the club'  it is like driving around in a unmarked, slightly dented saloon car,  but having a big 'fuck off beast under your bonnet'  

I did find scrap's welcome a bit intimidating.  The bewbs thing.  Hyke was friendly, and i think Callaway does a good job of asking noobs questions.  and cbc - well how could you not like her. As for the swearing and insults,  bickering between members etc well it serves it's purpose as in it keeps away the 'sensitive' ones.

Thank you PPK, for luring Bodi in.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 05:28:32 AM »

Thank you PPK, for luring Bodi in.

Thank you from me too, she is a great member!  :viking:

People forget.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 05:45:42 AM »
I came here BECAUSE of how the place looks. :green:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 05:52:04 AM »
I can't rightly remember. I have a feeling someone mentioned it and then I was having a few quiet drinks one night and found it. Not idea really but back then such things happened.

DukeNukem

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 05:58:17 AM »
I'm not intimidated nor scared by anyone on the Internet, much less here. Never was. Never will be.

There needs to be more members on here, because this is the best forum, period. So much fun on here sometimes.

Especially when my stupidity puts me at the center of attention! :zoinks:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 06:00:52 AM »
I'm not intimidated nor scared by anyone on the Internet, much less here. Never was. Never will be.

There needs to be more members on here, because this is the best forum, period. So much fun on here sometimes.

Especially when my stupidity puts me at the center of attention! :zoinks:

Yeah, I figured you were doing that for effect.  :P

People forget.

P7PSP

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 06:56:41 AM »
I don't think anyone here is intimidating. bodie your username interested me, I wanted to see if you could measure up to a cool name like that. Raising and training American Bulldogs for schutzhund is definitely cool.