Author Topic: remember when  (Read 3337 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: remember when
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2011, 01:41:46 PM »
Birthday cakes with coins baked inside. You got to keep any money that you found in your piece of cake. Nothing says safety like baking choking hazards inside food. Gotta love the 70's.  :thumbup:

Oh, I remember some bonbons that I ate in the 70's. They were read and made my shit look like blood. We were on vacation, but my dad drove me over 100 kms home to town to the hospital to find out that it was nothing wrong with me. They don't make any nice colourants that colours your piss and shit anymore either.

My mother never allowed colored cereals in the house because of the big 1970s Red Dye #2 cancer scare. We had good cereal,
but none of the cartoony stuff advertised on TV. One of my big childhood adventures was the two-course breakfast of colored cereals
that I ate one morning when I was away at Girl Scout camp! The milk turned beige and then pink. It was a whole new experience!   :baked:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Celticgoddess

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »
Birthday cakes with coins baked inside. You got to keep any money that you found in your piece of cake. Nothing says safety like baking choking hazards inside food. Gotta love the 70's.  :thumbup:

Oh, I remember some bonbons that I ate in the 70's. They were read and made my shit look like blood. We were on vacation, but my dad drove me over 100 kms home to town to the hospital to find out that it was nothing wrong with me. They don't make any nice colourants that colours your piss and shit anymore either.

My mother never allowed colored cereals in the house because of the big 1970s Red Dye #2 cancer scare. We had good cereal,
but none of the cartoony stuff advertised on TV. One of my big childhood adventures was the two-course breakfast of colored cereals
that I ate one morning when I was away at Girl Scout camp! The milk turned beige and then pink. It was a whole new experience!   :baked:

My Aunt had a mastectomy last week and I was her caregiver when she came home from the hospital. The day before surgery they inject her with nuke meds. Made her pee really bright green. I told her she was peeing kryptonite. :laugh:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2011, 01:53:40 PM »
That ^^^ is good education.  :thumbup:

By the time I was in college I was defleshing and disarticulating dog and cat skeletons.  A good education, but not one that screams "normal".  :evillaugh:

Was that in the context of your college courses, or was it just your hobby at the time? Should I be afraid?   :hide:

Both.  I was pre-vet for a few years, and worked as a veterinary nurse for a decade or so.  Canine and Feline anatomy, physiology, chemistry and medicine has been a special interest of mine for a lot of years.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2011, 01:54:25 PM »

My Aunt had a mastectomy last week and I was her caregiver when she came home from the hospital. The day before surgery they inject her with nuke meds. Made her pee really bright green. I told her she was peeing kryptonite. :laugh:

That's right, green pee is just weakness leaving the body! I wish her a full recovery.  :viking:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

P7PSP

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2011, 02:05:17 PM »
That ^^^ is good education.  :thumbup:

By the time I was in college I was defleshing and disarticulating dog and cat skeletons.  A good education, but not one that screams "normal".  :evillaugh:

Was that in the context of your college courses, or was it just your hobby at the time? Should I be afraid?   :hide:

Both.  I was pre-vet for a few years, and worked as a veterinary nurse for a decade or so.  Canine and Feline anatomy, physiology, chemistry and medicine has been a special interest of mine for a lot of years.
Do you still work in that field?

midlifeaspie

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2011, 02:09:11 PM »
No - now I work in insurance law.  Not nearly as exciting or fun, but pays a hell of a lot better.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »
Our Mercedes back in the 60s didn't have seat belts installed. When I was three or four my dad used to take me with him into town. I would sit in the front, next to him, without any kind of protection. Back then it was the normal state of things but today the naysayers would get their knickers in a twist and my dad would probably be jailed for endangering my life. :laugh:
Kids are required to wear helmets to ride bicycles in most states now.

Kids can still ride bikes without helmets here. I wonder for how long........
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2011, 02:23:25 PM »

:LMAO:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »
Rotary phones.  I still have one and it works from the 1940's
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

midlifeaspie

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »

I liked those.  I didn't know they still worked with current telecommunications.

TheoK

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2011, 04:04:45 PM »
We still have one in the garage to this very day, though it's "only" 30 years old or so.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2011, 04:06:46 PM »

I liked those.  I didn't know they still worked with current telecommunications.

For now they still work in my area,  not sure how much longer they will though
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2011, 04:18:48 PM »

For now they still work in my area,  not sure how much longer they will though

They will work fine as long as there is a stationary telephone net of the kind we have now. The telecommunication industry plans for decades ahead. The mobile phone net in Sweden was planned already in the 1960's, for instance.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2011, 04:25:26 PM »
Automated drip coffee pots came out?  We never used a percolator, just Mom standing at the stove, dripping the water over the grounds into the white enamel coffee pot.  Dad gave her one for Christmas and she was free, free, free.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2011, 03:34:30 AM »
Automated drip coffee pots came out?  We never used a percolator, just Mom standing at the stove, dripping the water over the grounds into the white enamel coffee pot.  Dad gave her one for Christmas and she was free, free, free.

:lol:

And now I use my drip coffee machine as a mere holder for filter and pot, to hand drip my coffee. Because I like the taste better that way.
And I hand whip the milk for it too.

Not an excessive coffee-drinker, but, when I have it, I want it to be the just the way I like it.