Author Topic: Community hobby shops??  (Read 2100 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Community hobby shops??
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2010, 05:58:15 AM »
I would start simple, with NON-power tools! :poke:

Say you're working on a big project, like cabinetry or something, there's nothing simple about only using hand tools.  Say you want to cut a perfectly straight line, you can slice a sheet of plywood in about 15 seconds on a table saw, but using a hand saw will take a few minutes and you have to be able to keep it perfectly on the line.

Try driving a screw into wood, if you use a screw driver, it will take a lot longer, and you risk splitting the wood as well as stripping the head of the screw.  Even self-tapping screws can still split the wood if you're using a regular screw driver.  But if you use a power drill to pre-tap the hole, then swap the drill bit out with a screwdriver bit, you can do 5 minutes worth of work in less than a minute and it will come out better.  Even if you don't pre-drill the hole, you can still set the torque setting on the drill to avoid the risk of overtightening.

Try cutting a piece of sheet metal with a hack saw and tell me that's simpler than using a plasma cutter.

I can't tell you anything, because I don't know anything about tools, obviously I am even more ignorant than I realized.
I just would feel safer, being a clumsy nOOb, using things that didn't involve electricity and rapidly whirring blades!  :o
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2010, 04:08:32 PM »
Non powered hand tools must be much sharper to work also so even though they are not powered you can really cut yourself
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2010, 04:09:33 PM »
Non powered hand tools must be much sharper to work also so even though they are not powered you can really cut yourself

In that case, I think I'll stay out of the community hobby shop altogether! It'll be better for everyone if I do!  :2thumbsup:

People forget.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2010, 01:48:35 AM »

In that case, I think I'll stay out of the community hobby shop altogether! It'll be better for everyone if I do!  :2thumbsup:

You can be in the community kitchen then.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2010, 06:03:42 AM »

Of course! I'll be peeling, chopping, steaming things in the big steamer, and making sure everything is clean and sanitary!  :idea:

People forget.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2010, 11:19:49 AM »

Of course! I'll be peeling, chopping, steaming things in the big steamer, and making sure everything is clean and sanitary!  :idea:

As if that is a harmless place.
  :zombiefuck:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2010, 11:22:08 AM »

As if that is a harmless place.
  :zombiefuck:

True, but I've worked in one for 22 years, so at least I sort of know how to keep myself safe!  :laugh:

For one thing, don't try to do too many things in a kitchen at one time!   :multitask:

People forget.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »
YESSSS!!!! This is the topic I was digging for!!!

As it turns out, some people here in Bend had the same idea and I might get involved with their organization.

http://www.diycave.com/

There's also 2 others doing this in town although I can't find their websites.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2016, 08:28:16 PM »
Oooo that looks good.  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2016, 10:24:49 AM »
They have started with some of this sort of thing around here geared mostly toward artists.  My nephew is taking a blacksmithing class at an art cooperative but it's almost an hours drive from where I live as are the few other places I have heard about.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2016, 11:30:34 AM »
In fairness, CBC, while its true that  hand tools need to be kept nice and sharp, to be easier to use, a cut from a hand saw might leave you with a scratched or nicked hand,

Same thing with an industrial bandsaw like my dad's old one he used to have, slipping could easily have taken the hand OFF, at least with that fucker. No guards or anything, to
allow for hand-guided free and accurate cutting, used it a fair few times as a kid when he still had the workshop, and believe you me it wouldn't 'scratch or nick' you had one fucked up. I used it. and his planer (this was a big, heavy floor mounted job, nearly as big as a small car, like a smartcar or mini, and fast, powerful as all hell) to make a longbow
once, starting from a big, thick, long plank. That bandsaw went through about 5 inch thick planks as though holding a heated kitchen knife to soft butter, just slides right through in moments. And quite capable of taking hands off if someone DID slip. I never did, I was always really careful with it. The one concession to safety was a small plastic
shield you could flip down to stop bits of sawdust spraying back up at the user's face. Took maybe 1-2 minutes to slice DOWN through, lengthways, that big plank, which was almost as, or as tall as I am, that damn thing was a BEAST, power-wise.

Electronics don't always need a cleanroom, my old man manages perfectly fine with the shed for making PCBs starting from bare boards, drilling the tiny holes as needs be with a set of nigh hair-fine microdrills in a bench drillpress. Even a separate cleaner room to the shed full of his oscilloscopes, soldering stations, racks and racks of electrical components. Stuff like getting my stirplate (hotplate with a magnetic part that rotates internally allowing one to use a teflon-coated magnetic bar in one's lab glass and stir things internally without ever needing to open your work to the atmosphere, other of course than to load the flasks etc in the first place.) fixed when it broke down isn't anything more than trivial, theres a WWII or older era metal lathe, we each have our own bench grinder, the mounted type with a pair of wheels, one rougher one finer mounted one each side, bench-mounted routers, blowtorches, more powerful torches fed by big gas tanks, you name it its probably somewhere in there and if it isn't, its in the my own lab, which of course has a very different focus and set of hardware, things like dessicators, vac pump (a birthday gift from my dad, he got me a new rotary vane pump for my lab:))
an autoclave, glovebox etc for working with things that REALLY don't ever need to go near a human you don't want hurt, like ME:P and all my glass, benchtop to work at, torches, hotplates and some shelves and cupboards for all my reagents to be kept on and in.

All things considered, between our two personal grottoes of technophilia there isn't all THAT much we can't do. Its rocks being able to just pop to one or the other should one need anything from metal parts making on the lathe, to an angle grinder, blowtorch or a big drum of acid or jug of solvents of all shapes, sizes and varieties. Not perfect, but
between us both, we ARE pretty well kitted out for making and  cooking things. Well, he isn't a chemist so that side gets left to me, but if ever he did need something like that I'd either have it it or be able to summon some up from those who supply my...well...supplies, then its not going to get in the way of progress and getting whatever it might be made.

I like the idea of community hobby shops. add some facilities like vac manifolds and pumps, some good set of glass, provide reagents at a fair price, acting as an intemediary people could request things and order things through they wished to use, some stuff like electrophoresis chambers, incubators, fermentation tanks and what have ye' for those who want to do chemistry, bio, physics, or genetics work and that would be totally kick arse. Of course users would have to pay for the consumables, but having the glassware and other hardware there, it could be free to use after its put there.

And LOL about blowing that guy's mailbox up and windows out.

Thermite is fun too, although useful as well, I find it a very expedient way to demand elemental metals from oxides that don't otherwise wish to part with them, so to speak, if its something whereby a compound is available to me, yet the element itself, may not be, or which is difficult to process or expensive to buy. Just add magnesium or aluminium dust and stick a bit of Mg or lithium foil in the top,  light the end and away it goes. I remember the time at my old home of doing a lead oxide based thermite for the heck of it, on the garden path. I'd not be surprised in the least if that (now set solid of course) oozing puddle of molten lead never did get removed, and remained there.

Here's a tip for you: ever tried copper oxide thermite? THAT is lively stuff, it actually explodes with a fair bit of violence, rather than burns.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2016, 02:12:20 PM »
I like the idea of community hobby shops. add some facilities like vac manifolds and pumps, some good set of glass, provide reagents at a fair price, acting as an intemediary people could request things and order things through they wished to use, some stuff like electrophoresis chambers, incubators, fermentation tanks and what have ye' for those who want to do chemistry, bio, physics, or genetics work and that would be totally kick arse. Of course users would have to pay for the consumables, but having the glassware and other hardware there, it could be free to use after its put there.

Here in central Oregon there are very strong "buy local" cultures that exist and the DIY cave and places like that fit in very well with the attitude. There's also the leftover pioneer cultures of self-reliance and local communities helping one another out. Those cultures are being somewhat diluted with the large influx of former Californians like me but in my case I have the same attitudes as the local culture so I fit in fairly well here.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2016, 01:31:05 AM »
Sadly I've never seen anything like that here. Would be great if there was something of that kind, where equipment could be communally available for use on-site, of course the likes of machine shops, but scientific kit too, that could maybe allowfor the availability of (or even building by, and for the community of users), of the kind of equipment that would otherwise be really difficult for an individual tech-head to afford, like sensitive analytical chemistry and genetics equipment (mainly thinking the likes of gas chromatograph/mass spec, UV-vis, IR spectrophotometers (although the latter two aren't out of the realms  of being reasonable in price enough that one can be picked up on ebay, been trying to save a little money together so I can afford a UV spec of my own for my ergot project especially, assuming I can manage to mutate my wildtypes to a decent productive strain or group of strains, and keep 'em stable (ergot tends after so many subcultures and fermentation runs to run to seed, figuratively speaking (nowt to do with condiation whatsoever, I mean, it goes senescent, and can degenerate, to a point where alkaloid yield drops like a stone; although on another forum I'm a member of, there are quite a few working on this, I'm pleased to say) The fungi produce, if one is persistent and not a little bit fortunate,  enough to isolate a cell line thats productive the end result is a complicated mixture of lysergic acid derivatives of peptidic nature, clavines, which are lysergic acid metabolic precursors produced as intermediate stages between the initial formation of dimethylallyltryptophan, the beginning building block to lysergic acid (or in the case of Claviceps paspali, paspalic acid, which spontaneously isomerises to lysergic acid, or if it doesn't do so quickly and sufficiently enough it can easily be made to occur once one has paspalic acid itself) and the ergopeptides, ergopeptines and ergopeptams etc, as well as in some species of ergot, and host-dependent sometimes, then various other mycotoxins such as the loline alkaloids, lolitrems, peramine, and various other, none-useful  metabolites that need both careful identification,then separation, so one can then hydrolyse the lysergic acid precursors without all the garbage, and the ergolines are well known for fluorescence at varying UV excitation wavelengths, just the thing.

But for some of the really advanced analytical equipment, like mass spectrometers, induction-coupled plasma/M-S (used for isotope identification),  HPLC (high pressure liquid chromatography, used  in place of GCs, when dealing with either heat-sensitive or nonvolatile analytes, so they are analyzed in liquid form, as a solution in a suitable solvent or solvent mixture as the mobile phase) machines, its the kind of kit that really would break the bank all too easily.  Or machinery of that nature that if it could be built, would nevertheless be too BIG, bulky and unwieldy to for most individual's labs at home, stuff like an electron microscope of one sort or another, a communal facility could result in  aside from simply space to put things, but communal maintainance could allow for the availability of more labor and/or upkeep intensive kit.

Would have to keep the towelheads away from any project of that nature of course, to discourage every tom, dick and allah from switching from growing E.coli to anthrax, Y.pestis
or worse yet, a nidus of pestilent little dune coon spawn in the community fermentation vats.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.