Educational

Author Topic: Do we need sectarian schools?  (Read 282 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: Do we need sectarian schools?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »
Religious schools are private schools in the US, so see nothing wrong with it. Does the government fund religious schools in the UK?

Private schools are public schools in the UK. :GA:
How are they considered private if publically funded?

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 06:50:28 PM »
Religious schools are private schools in the US, so see nothing wrong with it. Does the government fund religious schools in the UK?

Private schools are public schools in the UK. :GA:
How are they considered private if publically funded?

The name is different. A "private school" in America is the same thing as a "public school" in the UK. :GA:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 09:38:07 PM »
Not getting it. Then all schools are called private?

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 10:27:03 PM »
Not getting it. Then all schools are called private?

None of us get it. :tard: High schools are "college" and college is "uni". I'm convinced that they make up slang to confuse us. :spaz:

Link

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 10:51:03 PM »
Thanks for the link. Understand the part now about the word public or private somehow is not meaning how it's funded, for some reason. Your posts are all ones and twos.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 02:35:13 AM »

Yes about a third of all schools funded by government are 'faith' schools. 

The terms public and private are quite confusing.  A public school boy attends a private school.  I don't know why this is so.  There is a tendancy to use the word 'state' when referring to schools that do not charge a fee to attend.

All children in England between the ages of 5 and 16 are entitled to a free place at a state school.

State schools can have many categories:

Community Schools  A community school is run by the local authority, which employs the staff, owns the land and buildings and decides the admissions criteria.  No religious designation and cannot discriminate on religious grounds in admissions or employment. All pupils follow the National Curriculum and follow the locally agreed syllabus for Religious Education.

Faith schools can be different kinds of schools (eg voluntary aided schools, voluntary controlled schools, academies and free schools) but all are associated with a particular religion.

Voluntary Controlled schools (VC)  A voluntary controlled school is a state-funded school in which a foundation or trust (usually a Christian denomination) has some formal influence in the running of the school. Voluntary controlled schools are funded by central government via the local authority. The land and buildings are typically owned by a charitable foundation, which also appoints about a quarter of the school governors.   The Local Education Authority employs the school's staff and has primary responsibility for the school's admission arrangements. Therefore VC schools cannot discriminate in admissions on religious grounds.
VC schools can however apply a religious test in appointing, remunerating and promoting one fifth of teaching staff, including the Head Teacher. Pupils follow the National Curriculum. VC faith schools follow the locally agreed syllabus for Religious Education but parents of any pupil have the right to request their child receives RE in accordance with the tenets of the faith and the school should provide such RE for these pupils.

Voluntary Aided  School  (VA)   is a state-funded school in which a religious foundation or trust owns the school buildings. All running costs and at least 90% of building costs are funded by central government via the local authority. The religious foundation contributes the remaining 10% of capital costs.
The governing body determines the school's admission arrangements in consultation with the local authority. VA schools can discriminate against all pupils on religious grounds if oversubscribed.  The governing body employs the staff and can apply a religious test in appointing, remunerating and promoting all teachers. It may also apply a religious test to non-teaching staff if a 'genuine occupational requirement' can be demonstrated. In addition, teachers can be disciplined or dismissed for conduct which is 'incompatible with the precepts of the school's religion. Pupils at VA schools follow the National Curriculum. In religious education they are free to devise their own syllabus and only teach about their own religion.

Foundation schools are state-funded schools run by their own governing body, which employs the staff and sets the admissions criteria. Land and buildings are usually owned by the governing body or a charitable foundation. The foundation usually appoints around a quarter of the governors but in some cases it appoints the majority of governors.  The governing body determines the school's admission arrangements in consultation with the local authority. Foundation schools can discriminate against all pupils on religious grounds if oversubscribed. Foundation schools can also apply a religious test in appointing, remunerating and promoting one fifth of teaching staff, including the Head Teacher.  Pupils follow the National Curriculum and Foundation schools follow the locally agreed syllabus for Religious Education, unless parents request RE to be taught in accordance with the tenets of the faith of the school.

Academies and Free Schools are independently managed but state-funded schools set up by sponsors from religious, business or voluntary groups in partnership with the Department for Education. Some have a religious designation, others do not.
If converting to Academy status, the governing body, foundation or trust of the existing school forms an 'academy trust' which then takes over the control of the school.  Collective worship is required in Academies, not through primary legislation, but by virtue of the funding agreements. Academies also enjoy the freedom to adapt the national curriculum.

Private Schools
Private schools (also known as 'independent schools') charge fees to attend instead of being funded by the government. Pupils don't have to follow the national curriculum.

blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 02:46:01 AM »
The government has a duty to provide all children with an education.  I do not think it is the business of the government to provide or promote religion.

I believe schools should be a centre for education.  No need for religions or businesses to be involved in the running of schools funded by the state.

blah blah blah

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 05:31:28 AM »
The government has a duty to provide all children with an education.  I do not think it is the business of the government to provide or promote religion.

I believe schools should be a centre for education.  No need for religions or businesses to be involved in the running of schools funded by the state.

:agreed:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 07:25:39 AM »
Politics and religion shouldn't mix IMO.

But of course they do. :P

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:47:55 AM by Icequeen »

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »
That's the intention of corrupt politicians and such, to destroy religion.  They want society to lose structure and fall apart.
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »

:agreed:
Indeed.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »
Voluntary Aided  School  (VA)   is a state-funded school in which a religious foundation or trust owns the school buildings. All running costs and at least 90% of building costs are funded by central government via the local authority. The religious foundation contributes the remaining 10% of capital costs

:o

I'm totally saving this for ammunition some time I read some limey piss and moan about America clinging to the bible.   :lol1:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:54:24 PM by Gopher Gary »
:gopher: