Educational

Author Topic: Technically challenged  (Read 369 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Technically challenged
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:21:42 PM »
I bought Prince Albert a CD player about 3 weeks ago (right on top of the techincal wave aren't we?)  He uses it while taking his daily walk.  Well, he stumbled yesterday and the player fell out of his pocket.  Well today the player would only stay on for a few seconds and turn off (yeah, you technical guys already know the punch line.) 

We tried several things, and he called the company.  They said to return it to the store since it was still under warranty.  So, take out batteries, make sure receipt is attached, headphones coiled, etc.  When he comes back from the store we have the same problem.  He's furious.  I thought for a moment and asked him to get some new batteries.  Problem solved.  Now why couldn't they tell us in the instruction sheet or on the phone that this was the problem? 

It was simpler when we had the London Philharmonic walking behind him while he took his walks.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Osensitive1

Re: Technically challenged
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »
The ipod shuffle is only fifty dollars. Maybe worth looking into.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:30:08 PM »
I bought Prince Albert a CD player about 3 weeks ago (right on top of the techincal wave aren't we?)  He uses it while taking his daily walk.  Well, he stumbled yesterday and the player fell out of his pocket.  Well today the player would only stay on for a few seconds and turn off (yeah, you technical guys already know the punch line.) 

We tried several things, and he called the company.  They said to return it to the store since it was still under warranty.  So, take out batteries, make sure receipt is attached, headphones coiled, etc.  When he comes back from the store we have the same problem.  He's furious.  I thought for a moment and asked him to get some new batteries.  Problem solved.  Now why couldn't they tell us in the instruction sheet or on the phone that this was the problem? 

It was simpler when we had the London Philharmonic walking behind him while he took his walks.

:plus:   for a splendid image, Your Majesty!

I had similar trouble when I bought my digital camera last summer. The young clerks at the electronics store must not have had many n00b customers,
because they seemed to assume I could pick out everything by myself, even though I told them from the beginning that I'd never bought a digital camera.
Getting vital information out of them took a lot of trial and error. Finally I left the store, only to return because I hadn't bought a case for the camera
(and neither of the clerks had thought to suggest it).   :facepalm2:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

DukeNukem

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:12:40 PM »
The ipod shuffle is only fifty dollars. Maybe worth looking into.

I pity the fool who buys an iPod Shuffle. There are much better MP3/MP4 players that are a lot less than 50 freaking dollars.

I have a SanDisk Sansa that was 40 dollars, it has 4 GB of space, a full-color screen, FM radio, microphone, Micro-SD slot, and a metal backing (like an iPod). :orly:

Queen Victoria, I do recommend that you get an MP3 player. Rip your CD's to your computer's hard disk drive (you can do this within Windows Media Player if you're on a PC) as MP3 files, then put them on your MP3 player. It will give your CD's a much longer lifespan as they aren't being scratched up in a constantly-moving CD player. Maybe even get a car adapter that is compatible with the MP3 player. Save your CD's from being all skippy and crap in a few weeks.

Osensitive1

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »
The shuffle is good for walkers and joggers since it's small and has a clip, though yes, anything similar would do.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:23:22 PM by Jack »

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 05:05:11 AM »

:plus:  Brilliant
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »
The shuffle is good for walkers and joggers since it's small and has a clip, though yes, anything similar would do.

It's a piece of drek, not least because it all but forces you to use iTunes.

I'd suggest the Sansa Clip.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:29:38 AM »
Technologically retarded people really do piss me off greatly. Especially when they never learn after showing them the same thing for the 100th time.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:31:14 AM by Schleed »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:31:34 AM »
Technophobes really do piss me off greatly. Especially when they never learn after showing them the same thing for the 100th time.

The trouble I have with being shown how to do something is that I don't retain it unless I actually go through the process.  :dunce:

People forget.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 10:36:35 AM »
The problem is that you actually NEED to have basic IT and technological skills these days. It isn't a case of being behind the times, it determines your employment options/education etc. For example, my mother can't even send an email etc, so no wonder why she's failing at college.

Without them you're literally fucked. The world moves too fast to do it any other way.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 10:38:04 AM »
The problem is that you actually NEED to have basic IT and technological skills these days. It isn't a case of being behind the times, it determines your employment options/education etc.

Without them you're literally fucked.

*contemplates another 50 years working in the retirement home kitchen*   :zombiefuck:

People forget.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »
Technophobes really do piss me off greatly. Especially when they never learn after showing them the same thing for the 100th time.

The trouble I have with being shown how to do something is that I don't retain it unless I actually go through the process.  :dunce:

And that is the best way of learning it. Do it yourself, while someone tells you how to do it.

Someone who knows how to do it often can not explain what he is doing, and then shows it at amazing speed. Getting told step by step what to do is a better way to learn for me than to see someone quickly do the trick.

A good teacher has the guts to let his students blunder in order to learn.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!