Educational

Author Topic: How many here are believers?  (Read 6908 times)

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
Re: How many here are believers?
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2015, 08:22:31 PM »
I get a lot of solitude, some might say too much.
Before I started my own meetup group, I pretty much didn't talk to anyone face to face for weeks on end.
Now I am alone other than a few hours a week. Not always a good thing if, like me, you tend to get stuck too much inside negative thinking patterns.

Then I'm doubly glad you're back here with so many people to talk to.  :2thumbsup:

Yah, not sure how long for. I have a habit of just retreating for long periods of time, but I shall strive to keep checking in, barring my demise  :lol1:

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2015, 08:29:49 PM »
I used to consider myself to be spiritual, but these days I seem to not have belief in much of anything. I have never followed a religion, as such. I have no interest in it, beyond the beauty of some of the buildings associated with it. When I took some online test, my innate beliefs seemed to most fit those of Buddhism.

Maybe you should take some time in the woods, sleep under the stars, build a fire and listen to a stream.
Can not tell you what religion this is. You have to work that out on your own.

Nice idea; not sure how you would go about that in England (that's where graelwyn is too) . It's probably illegal to build a fire, almost everywhere you might go. You probably have no idea how tame this country is. And how just about every square inch of it is owned by somebody-or-other.

My only attempt to sleep beneath the stars was a little bit rash, you might say.

I felt a burning need to get away , so I packed a few basics in a small backpack, caught a random train, and got off at a more-or-less random station (Great Malvern in the Cotswolds, actually. I'd pased through there a few times in the past, on my way to somewhere else,  and always fancied getting off at that stop. So not very random, as you see)

It was sometime after I got there, potterered around on the hills for a bit,  and realised that it was way too late  to get cheap lodgings, that I had the bright idea of sleeping under the stars.  Given that it was a pretty chilly Spring night, and I'm cold intolerant, it didn't work out very well at all. In fact, by 2.00 am-ish I gave up and sheepinshly ambled back into the town and  booked in to a 4-star hotel for the rest of the night (nothing less than that had a night porter) .

I was living on the last of my meagre credit at the time, so I really had to make that expense worthwhile. So I hung around the hotel for a good few hours the next day, and had fun playing the " mysterious lady" (No that didn't entail doing anything out of character  :LOL:; and it got me into one or two pleasant conversations).

Then I played the tourist for a bit, then  went home. :)

Do i regret it? Well, actually not in the least .

But any tips re. going about it  more sensibly would be appreciated  :LOL:

-Walkie

You are far braver than I, lol. I would never dare simply take off, I am far too stuck in routines. I think I would have had a major panic attack being stuck somewhere at night with nowhere cheap to stay and limited funds.
It is supposed to be really pretty in Malvern though.

It is true, there are so many restrictions here that where I live, you cannot even feed the birds most places without getting issues.
People do have barbecues on the common here though. And I live right down the road from a rather beautiful area called the New Forest, which is all forestry, open heathland and some pretty remote areas.

Pictures of it here.

I tend to cycle there over the Summer.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2015, 08:50:55 PM »

You are far braver than I, lol. I would never dare simply take off, I am far too stuck in routines. I think I would have had a major panic attack being stuck somewhere at night with nowhere cheap to stay and limited funds.
It is supposed to be really pretty in Malvern though.

It is true, there are so many restrictions here that where I live, you cannot even feed the birds most places without getting issues.
People do have barbecues on the common here though. And I live right down the road from a rather beautiful area called the New Forest, which is all forestry, open heathland and some pretty remote areas.

I'm not brave. I just tend to think that the scariest thing of all is being stuck in the same old situation ad infinitum, with nothing ever changing. And then i need some kind of illusion of motion to soothe myself with. 

These days, just walking down the street unadaided is tatamount to living dangerously  :LOL:. So I guess i shan't be doing anything  like that again :(

If i did do something like that again, i think i might head for the New Forest. it really does look lovely! Lucky you! And thanks for the pics!

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2015, 09:01:08 PM »
I used to consider myself to be spiritual, but these days I seem to not have belief in much of anything. I have never followed a religion, as such. I have no interest in it, beyond the beauty of some of the buildings associated with it. When I took some online test, my innate beliefs seemed to most fit those of Buddhism.

Maybe you should take some time in the woods, sleep under the stars, build a fire and listen to a stream.

Yes, I must admit, I have spent too much time holed up in my flat lately, and barely seen daylight, let alone nature. I have always felt at my best when I have had a good amount of time out in the countryside, away from the city and the noise. Incidentally, I have actually never slept under the stars. I have never even camped actually, it is something I have on my bucket list to do really. Thanks for the reminder.

I say fill your bucket list.

Ghandi said something like, "Live your life as if you were going to die tomorrow, but learn what you can as if you were going to live forever."   Sorry, but that is a paraphrase. The essence is captured, however.

Camping out is a great way to learn things about which you do not even know which questions to ask or how to google and shit.  Just go do it. Do it close by at first, so you feel safe; walking distance, maybe.   (OH and report back, please.)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2015, 09:04:39 PM »
Regular obstacle while cycling up there. New forest ponies have been there for a very long time. It is part of what draws the tourists in Summer.
Sadly, drivers ignore the warnings and quite a few get killed or injured which really infuriates me to be honest.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2015, 09:08:19 PM »

Yes, I must admit, I have spent too much time holed up in my flat lately, and barely seen daylight, let alone nature. I have always felt at my best when I have had a good amount of time out in the countryside, away from the city and the noise. Incidentally, I have actually never slept under the stars. I have never even camped actually, it is something I have on my bucket list to do really. Thanks for the reminder.

Ghandi said something like, "Live your life as if you were going to die tomorrow, but learn what you can as if you were going to live forever."   Sorry, but that is a paraphrase. The essence is captured, however.

Camping out is a great way to learn things about which you do not even know which questions to ask or how to google and shit.  Just go do it. Do it close by at first, so you feel safe; walking distance, maybe.   (OH and report back, please.)

Definitely will do. Never made a bucket list. I just have a habit of stagnating and thinking of all the things I would like to do but lacking the motivation or courage to do them. Must admit, now I am nearing forty, I am becoming a lot more aware of time, and the lack of it so those words from Gandhi definitely resonate. It is a matter of reminding yourself often, I suppose, to not get too caught up in the minor details.  :)

Camping might be a good thing to put on for my group sometime too as an event.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2015, 10:44:37 PM »

Definitely will do. Never made a bucket list. I just have a habit of stagnating and thinking of all the things I would like to do but lacking the motivation or courage to do them. Must admit, now I am nearing forty, I am becoming a lot more aware of time, and the lack of it so those words from Gandhi definitely resonate. It is a matter of reminding yourself often, I suppose, to not get too caught up in the minor details.  :)

Definitely go in a group the first few times, but definitely go out and do it!! You will love it!

... once/when the weather is decent overnight, that is!

Here it is still dipping below zero Fahrenheit every night (it was -21C here last night in north central Indiana), so maybe in June or something for me.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2015, 11:11:06 PM »

Definitely go in a group the first few times, but definitely go out and do it!! You will love it!

... once/when the weather is decent overnight, that is!

Here it is still dipping below zero Fahrenheit every night (it was -21C here last night in north central Indiana), so maybe in June or something for me.

-21...that is something I would not deal well with. Lowest we tend to get here in the Uk is around -5. But we do have a heck of a lot of rain this time of year so this will be a Summer thing, just need to look into where to do it. Hopefully my group will be bigger by then. Have 140 members in a few months, but a limited number come to events. I specifically set it up for those with things like Aspergers, social anxiety or who just feel like outsiders. A certain number have yet to get through the door for an event due to their social phobias  :lol1: I am hoping in time, they will be more daring.

Also, I would have zero idea on how to start a campfire or what essentials to take, beyond a tent and mat or sleeping bag, matches, torch etc, so shall have to look into that.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2019, 11:59:12 PM »
DD is talking Fahrenheit I assume. To your -5 Celsius.

So your -5 is DD's +23.

I am not a believer. I describe myself as an atheist, as I do not have belief in any god or gods. About a 6 on the Dawkins scale.

The absence of any good evidence for god leads me to believe that either god does not exist, or he or she is very bloody good at pretending not to exist.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:06:00 AM by Minister of silly walks »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2019, 07:33:28 AM »
DD is talking Fahrenheit I assume. To your -5 Celsius.

So your -5 is DD's +23.

I am not a believer. I describe myself as an atheist, as I do not have belief in any god or gods. About a 6 on the Dawkins scale.

The absence of any good evidence for god leads me to believe that either god does not exist, or he or she is very bloody good at pretending not to exist.

I try to identify C or F when I respond to folk about weather temperatures.

Three and one half years ago, during this conversation with Graelwyn, that -21C overnight temperature for a February night is not uncommon.
For me and my equipment, that is too cold to be comfortable camping out. Outdoor camping and such starts around May here and night time temperatures are usually expected to be near freezing, still. I am prepared for that.

See how I did that? I said, "... freezing" so that there would be a small bit less confusion involving the two standards of temperature measurement.
 :thumbup:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2019, 01:30:48 PM »
Thanks DD, I missed the C. Just assumed you meant F because 'merica.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2019, 06:13:49 PM »
Followers of Abrahamic religions should be chased into the fucking sea.
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2019, 01:08:29 AM »
Just assumed you meant F because 'merica.
i just had to read loads of back-text , just to find out that my gut reaction to that statement is, ummm,  kinda tangential. you might say.

But still.  having heard out our effing election results , i still wanna say :  you can now assume it's F because Britain.   :grrr:

And if Boris is God, where the heck do I fit on the Dawkin's scale I wanna know? Is it no 1? I know he exists, but hate the smug  bastard? that hardly makes me a ""believer" though does it? . Hmm, maybe 6) de-facto Atheist is more like it. I do  find the man very improbable....

oh, FFS. I shall now desist from my transparent attempt to drag my post on-topic  and go sulk in the bathroom.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2019, 04:29:43 PM »
Followers of Abrahamic religions should be chased into the fucking sea.
Why do you so hate the sea?

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2019, 05:25:58 PM »
Walkie, we are heading down the same path. The working class has fallen prey to right wing populism, and has abandoned left wing parties who at least make a token effort to represent their interests.