Educational

Author Topic: Politically correct Aussie wanker - "Hey Guys" sexist?  (Read 254 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Politically correct Aussie wanker - "Hey Guys" sexist?
« on: June 12, 2016, 06:11:39 AM »
Yes political correctness has infected Australian media and journalism and academia as it has everywhere else.

Look at this and tell me YOUR thoughts.

So "Hey guys" not to be used in groups containing any females?

I think you get my position, but what is yours?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
Re: Politically correct Aussie wanker - "Hey Guys" sexist?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 08:34:17 AM »
This can't be re-posted enough.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 11:41:40 AM »
And people who just shut up and do their job at work are the weird ones.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 07:47:54 PM »
Only the offended people matter. :soapbox: That video reminded me of something funny from years ago, an old episode of Grace under fire when a female co-worker says it's sexist to call women girls. Grace said something like, I can hide a can of cat food under each breast, so if he thinks I look like a girl then that makes me feel good. :lol1: You guys is just slang and everyone knows it, it's the suburban version of the hick y'all. I started saying you guys as a kid because the people I lived around said youens and I thought that sounded stupid, and the other variations of yoose and y'all weren't any better. I've never known a woman to get her panties in a twist about me saying you guys, but then again, I know how to sweet talk the laydeez.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 09:28:39 PM »
Informal language is not suitable for formal settings and the workplace is a formal setting. Workplace harassment is so loosely defined to include any and all behavior or speech personally viewed as belittling or threatening, so if a formal complaint is placed then it's best to simply let it go. Previous job, frequently encountered men calling me mommy; another woman in the office explained it's not intended as offensive but a cultural difference simply meaning they don't know my name. That helped with not being offended; it was still annoying but not enough to ever formally complain about it; just told those assholes my name when called mommy. Current position, it's a couple of women who have called me sweetheart, baby, and mommy; one was very persistent about it. Repeatedly telling her my name finally resulted in being called a cutesy nickname version of my name. Some people just need a punch in the face, but punches in the face are not suitable to formal settings and the workplace is a formal setting.