Educational

Author Topic: Why do you americans have such faggoty gun laws?  (Read 11803 times)

Osensitive1

Re: Why do you americans have such faggoty gun laws?
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2011, 09:19:17 PM »
That's why libertarians don't really fit into either political party.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2011, 09:19:57 PM »
This is not an American thing though. British people dont want the government telling them what to do anymore than american people

Osensitive1

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »
Then you think the British should be allowed to own guns if they wish?

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2011, 09:22:28 PM »
As in criminals killing EACH OTHER. not random inocent people

Your analogy does not work. There are significant costs involved in acts of warfare. It must be strongly in the interests of a certain country for that country to commit warfare. Even so, civilian casualties are a certainty in warfare. Innocent people often die because of the actions of others.

The majority of the people who died at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were civilians. The cities were industrial targets, but the human cost of dropping nuclear bombs cannot be overlooked. To extend your analogy, yes, the criminals shot at each other, but around 200,000 innocent people (Source) were caught in the crossfire.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Scrapheap

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2011, 09:26:30 PM »
Those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't.

When you are unarmed, you are a victim waiting to happen.

If a criminal doesn't victimize you then the government will, because those 2 are largely the same thing.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »

Do you think American should be able to rape children if they wish?

semicolon - it wasn't my analogy. It was one already being used by you and butterflies. Taking the countries as individual people, only Japan was fucked over

(and yes I know the actual even is not as simple as that - I've nearly finished a degree in history so I know Hirosh/Nag were more complex than one person being killed)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2011, 09:29:37 PM »

If a criminal doesn't victimize you then the government will, because those 2 are largely the same thing.

And how is having a gun gonna protect me from the govt/? Should I go shoot up Parliament? :tinfoil:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »
If no one had guns, that would make sense. It guns were totally outlawed no one would have to worry about them.

It is like you guys are arguing that we should have a safe society, and Im saying that society isnt safe so be prepared.

And I dont get the nuclear arms comparison. Cause no guns in the whole world anywhere would solve the problem as would no nukes. But there are some hiding, everywhere. 

Guns will always exist. If they are illegal for most people to own though surely only a minority of people will have them. In Britain if a person wants to go out in a blaze of glory they would have a hard job getting a gun. In America if someone wants to go out in a blaze of glory they only have to raid their dads gun cabinet.

The analogy with the arms race is that more people carry guns because they know that other people have guns. If I was a housebreaker in America I doubt if I would go breaking into houses without a gun. Not because I wanted to kill the person I was robbing, but to protect myself against the person I was robbing.

Let us assume, for the sake of argument, that your analogy is correct. Have you considered the logical conclusion of your analogy? Let's say that guns are like nuclear weapons in regards to the arms race between hostile parties. Look at the history of nuclear weapons. When the US was the only country in the world to have nuclear bombs, we used them. During the Cold War, when any nuclear move by either the USSR or the US would have resulted in the destruction of both parties, no nuclear missiles were launched. If all parties to a dispute are equally well armed and all have a significant chance of death from beginning hostilities, there is a strong incentive to keep the peace. If anything, your analogy would lead to an idealized state where all people are equally well armed with very lethal guns. No one would dare use one to commit a crime, because of the high risk of death.

If no one had guns, that would make sense. It guns were totally outlawed no one would have to worry about them.

It is like you guys are arguing that we should have a safe society, and Im saying that society isnt safe so be prepared.

And I dont get the nuclear arms comparison. Cause no guns in the whole world anywhere would solve the problem as would no nukes. But there are some hiding, everywhere.  

Guns will always exist. If they are illegal for most people to own though surely only a minority of people will have them. In Britain if a person wants to go out in a blaze of glory they would have a hard job getting a gun. In America if someone wants to go out in a blaze of glory they only have to raid their dads gun cabinet.

The analogy with the arms race is that more people carry guns because they know that other people have guns. If I was a housebreaker in America I doubt if I would go breaking into houses without a gun. Not because I wanted to kill the person I was robbing, but to protect myself against the person I was robbing.

Then what happens if war breaks out ? What happens if society collapses ?

Im not talking about Ideals, it is just reality. I live in a city with millions of people and many of them have guns. I dont want to be roadkill.

I would love to continue this discussion, dear, but I have to go meet a man about some rope. Ill reply later.  :thumbup:

You guys are smart and make a better case than I could. I do think you are wrong though.
OK. If society breaks down, then I don't have the answers. I haven't thought of that, although I would hope it's not likely. Even if it did happen I'm not sure I'd feel any safer with a gun.

If all parties to a dispute are equally well armed and all have a significant chance of death from beginning hostilities, there is a strong incentive to keep the peace.

There is truth in that. But it would require everyone, or at least one in every household to be as proficient with a gun as the people who would seek to do them harm. I would not want to live in a society where my life depended upon my skills with a gun.
Assuming that what you say is 100% right it still leaves the problem of people going on rampages.  People kill themselves here, and people hate their peers. Going and getting your gun and blowing their brains out is not an option.
I do accept guns have a purpose, butif everyone is armed how on earth do you stop people who have decided they want to die, from using them to cause maximum damage before they kill themaselves? That does seem to be a big problem in America, or at least it is portrayed as a big problem in our media.

Osensitive1

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2011, 09:30:56 PM »

That's out of line. Maybe you should look up libertarian views. I'm done.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2011, 09:32:19 PM »
It'ws unlikely society's gonna break down any time soon. So it makes more sense to be concerned with genuine threats, ie protecting your family, rather than worrying about something unrealistic. Obviously if society descended into anarchy, I would want a gun. But as that's unlikely toi happen in the near future, I'm much happier with my brothers living on a street where it's unlikely any of the neighbours have access to a gun

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2011, 09:33:12 PM »

That's out of line. Maybe you should look up libertarian views. I'm done.

How? Point is just because I think the govt shouldn't dictate what people do doesnt mean I think people should be able to do anything and everything they want. Obviously I'm not saying owning a gun is as bad as child rape. I'musing an extreme example

Scrapheap

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2011, 09:33:41 PM »

And how is having a gun gonna protect me from the govt/? Should I go shoot up Parliament? :tinfoil:

FUCK YEAH!!!  :2thumbsup:  :2thumbsup:  :2thumbsup:  :2thumbsup:  :2thumbsup:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
Maybe I'd get a day named after me with fireworks then  :zoinks:

Scrapheap

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2011, 09:37:17 PM »
Maybe I'd get a day named after me with fireworks then  :zoinks:

I'll drink beer in your honor!!  :2thumbsup:

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Osensitive1

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2011, 09:38:19 PM »
How? Point is just because I think the govt shouldn't dictate what people do doesnt mean I think people should be able to do anything and everything they want.
If it doesn't hurt anyone else, then yes they should.