Author Topic: I finally broke down and spent  (Read 3040 times)

Frolic_Fun

Re: I finally broke down and spent
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2011, 07:33:23 PM »
I probably do, I'm not afriad to admit I have problems. However, I do believe people need a bit of selfishness and nihilism if they want to thrive in life.

The world is shit and shit indeed does happen, but what can one spazz do? In the details, I can help but ultimately the big picture will not budge. :dunno:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »
I probably do, I'm not afriad to admit I have problems. However, I do believe people need a bit of selfishness and nihilism if they want to thrive in life.

The world is shit and shit indeed does happen, but what can one spazz do? In the details, I can help but ultimately the big picture will not budge. :dunno:

Selfishness and nihilism can be a help in life. However, if we were all like that, society as we know it would surely break down, or at least become less pleasant.

Have you never been in a position where you've had to rely on the kindness and compassion of a stranger. I know I have, and if I'm in a position to help a stranger then I usually try to make the effort.

I'd hate to be in trouble and need help, and nobody could be bothered helping me.

DukeNukem

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »
Selfishness and nihilism are already the dominating traits of today's society.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2011, 07:49:05 PM »
Selfishness and nihilism can be a help in life. However, if we were all like that, society as we know it would surely break down, or at least become less pleasant.

It already is quite unpleasent. If I died, barely anyone in the world will care. So why should I care about them? Instead of wallowing in self-pity, I'd rather accept the world is indeed like that. Even worse, there's the universe. If the Earth explodes, barely *anyone* in the galaxy or universe will give a fuck.

Have you never been in a position where you've had to rely on the kindness and compassion of a stranger. I know I have, and if I'm in a position to help a stranger then I usually try to make the effort.

Several times, and have got friends through that. But I'm talking about strangers that I'll never meet or even rely on. Examples such as the Chinese during the earthquakes, people dying in carcrashes etc. I feel no sympathy for them.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »

It already is quite unpleasent. If I died, barely anyone in the world will care. So why should I care about them? Instead of wallowing in self-pity, I'd rather accept the world is indeed like that. Even worse, there's the universe. If the Earth explodes, barely *anyone* in the galaxy or universe will give a fuck.

Several times, and have got friends through that. But I'm talking about strangers that I'll never meet or even rely on. Examples such as the Chinese during the earthquakes, people dying in carcrashes etc. I feel no sympathy for them.

I think most people on this site would be very sad if you died. Emma would be sad, your family and friends would be sad, and a lot of people who don't even know you would be sad that someone had died so young.

Maybe only a smallish amount of people would truly mourn your death, but many times that amount would be saddened by it. It's the same with me. There's probably only around 10 people who would be truly grief-stricken if I died, but I think plenty more people would be saddened if I died.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2011, 08:30:17 PM »
He has a point though. If I died tomorrow, my immediate family would be the only ones it had a real impact on. That is true of the majority of people. There is death all around us so people aren't as bothered by it unless they're very close to the person. Most of us haven't really achieved anything great, so we mean pretty much nothing

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »
He has a point though. If I died tomorrow, my immediate family would be the only ones it had a real impact on. That is true of the majority of people. There is death all around us so people aren't as bothered by it unless they're very close to the person. Most of us haven't really achieved anything great, so we mean pretty much nothing

I agree with that

Most of us haven't really achieved anything great, so we mean pretty much nothing

I strongly disagree with that.

Of course Schleed has made several good points. I don't think that you completely lack empathy though. If you are walking down the road and you see a cat that you have no emotional attachment to, that has just been hit by a car, and is crying out in complete pain. Would you feel sympathy towards the cat?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2011, 08:37:18 PM »
I think I feel more for animals than I do for people.   :chin:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

DukeNukem

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2011, 08:37:44 PM »

I agree with that

Most of us haven't really achieved anything great, so we mean pretty much nothing

I strongly disagree with that.

Of course Schleed has made several good points. I don't think that you completely lack empathy though. If you are walking down the road and you see a cat that you have no emotional attachment to, that has just been hit by a car, and is crying out in complete pain. Would you feel sympathy towards the cat?

I think Schleed would be the one who ran over the cat. :orly:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2011, 08:41:43 PM »
I think I feel more for animals than I do for people.   :chin:

I like animals, but I always feel more sadness towards a person who is suffering. I do feel sympathy towards animals, but if I had to choose to save an animals life, or a persons I would save the personm any day.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
Was that question to me?

Yeah I do have empathy. If someone dies, it is sad (unless I think they're a horrible person). I'm not saying I don't care at all if someone dies, just that it isn't gonna really affect my life unless it's my mum, brother, friend etc

As for non-human animals, my empathy seems to be way way stronger towards them than towards humans, which is kinda worryig. I mean animal charity adverts make me feel a physical kinda empathy in my stomach/chest. I even have some kinda empathy for inanimate objects which maniffests itself in really weird ways. I dunno if it's the AS or just me being fuked upp though

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2011, 11:10:17 PM »
Was that question to me?

Yeah I do have empathy. If someone dies, it is sad (unless I think they're a horrible person). I'm not saying I don't care at all if someone dies, just that it isn't gonna really affect my life unless it's my mum, brother, friend etc

As for non-human animals, my empathy seems to be way way stronger towards them than towards humans, which is kinda worryig. I mean animal charity adverts make me feel a physical kinda empathy in my stomach/chest. I even have some kinda empathy for inanimate objects which maniffests itself in really weird ways. I dunno if it's the AS or just me being fuked upp though

If someone dies, it is sad (unless I think they're a horrible person)

I have no sympathy to people I think are horrible. I seem to have a way of dehumanising people who I truly hate.

I even have some kinda empathy for inanimate objects which maniffests itself in really weird ways. I dunno if it's the AS or just me being fuked upp though

OMG me too. I used to watch motor racing, and I'd cry when a car crashed. I didn't care about the driver, but the car dying made me so sad :laugh:

I get really sentamentally attached to objects. I have this small silly rubber ball, and I'd be quite sad if I lost, or broke it. I've always had a strange attachment to certain objects.

Scrapheap

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2011, 11:16:52 PM »
Selfishness and nihilism are already the dominating traits of today's society.

You forgot narcissism.

DukeNukem

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2011, 11:17:03 PM »
Was that question to me?

I have no sympathy to people I think are horrible. I seem to have a way of dehumanising people who I truly hate.

I even have some kinda empathy for inanimate objects which maniffests itself in really weird ways. I dunno if it's the AS or just me being fuked upp though

OMG me too. I used to watch motor racing, and I'd cry when a car crashed. I didn't care about the driver, but the car dying made me so sad :laugh:

I get really sentamentally attached to objects. I have this small silly rubber ball, and I'd be quite sad if I lost, or broke it. I've always had a strange attachment to certain objects.

Send your rubber ball to me. I'll be sure to take great care of it! >:D

*holding knife*

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2011, 11:24:41 PM »
Was that question to me?

Send your rubber ball to me. I'll be sure to take great care of it! >:D

*holding knife*

If you cut up my ball with a knife, I'd cut up both your balls of steel TM and make you eat them. :eyelash:

Don't mess with my rubber ball  :grrr: