Author Topic: I finally broke down and spent  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: I finally broke down and spent
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2011, 11:39:13 PM »

OMG me too. I used to watch motor racing, and I'd cry when a car crashed. I didn't care about the driver, but the car dying made me so sad :laugh:

I get really sentamentally attached to objects. I have this small silly rubber ball, and I'd be quite sad if I lost, or broke it. I've always had a strange attachment to certain objects.

Cars I have strong empathy for (if empathy is the right word here :laugh: ). They seem like they have personalities to me. all different. Obviously I know they don;t, but it feels like they do. The same for everything. I have this weird thing (kinda ocd-ish, driving me mad this week as it's worse lately for some reason) where I feel like I have to smile at things if I look at them, or I'm being impolite and they'll be upset :P

This sounds crazy written down, and I know they don't think or feel, but I still do it. Like if I'm walking down the road and my coat toaches a branch off a tree, I have to turn back and smile at the branch lol.

It's always stronger for rubbish and broken/unwanted things. Like something that's been thrown on the floor outside, or a teddy bear that hasn't been sold. Sometimes I even feel like I have to buy something just because I've looked at it and I don't want it to feel unwanted.

This is quite embarrassing to admit actually :laugh:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2011, 11:40:32 PM »
Oh and cartoon stuff. I can't look at the dvds in the kids section coz they all have cartoon penguins and reindeer on them and I have to smile at them all :P

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2011, 11:45:33 PM »

OMG me too. I used to watch motor racing, and I'd cry when a car crashed. I didn't care about the driver, but the car dying made me so sad :laugh:

I get really sentamentally attached to objects. I have this small silly rubber ball, and I'd be quite sad if I lost, or broke it. I've always had a strange attachment to certain objects.

Cars I have strong empathy for (if empathy is the right word here :laugh: ). They seem like they have personalities to me. all different. Obviously I know they don;t, but it feels like they do. The same for everything. I have this weird thing (kinda ocd-ish, driving me mad this week as it's worse lately for some reason) where I feel like I have to smile at things if I look at them, or I'm being impolite and they'll be upset :P

This sounds crazy written down, and I know they don't think or feel, but I still do it. Like if I'm walking down the road and my coat toaches a branch off a tree, I have to turn back and smile at the branch lol.

It's always stronger for rubbish and broken/unwanted things. Like something that's been thrown on the floor outside, or a teddy bear that hasn't been sold. Sometimes I even feel like I have to buy something just because I've looked at it and I don't want it to feel unwanted.

I hate seeing unwanted cute things.

For some reason I have empathy towards my aunts Henry hoover. He has a cute face, and it looks so friendly (I suppose in a way he reminds me of Schleed :laugh:). I was quite annoyed at her when she got his top all scratched :laugh: It's different with Henry though. He does have real feelings :orly:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2011, 11:46:45 PM »
lol I have empathy for Henry Hoovers too. Just the other day I saw one in Tesco. They also have a pink girl one too, can't remember her name though. maybe you should buy your aunt one of those - girlfriend to cheer up Henry :P

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2011, 11:47:22 PM »

It makes sense to me. I have a little of that attachment to things, though much less than when I was a child.
Watching a few seasons of Hoarders  has put a little healthy fear into me  :zombiefuck:  and encouraged me to get rid of a LOT of my clutter. 
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2011, 12:08:26 AM »
lol I have empathy for Henry Hoovers too. Just the other day I saw one in Tesco. They also have a pink girl one too, can't remember her name though. maybe you should buy your aunt one of those - girlfriend to cheer up Henry :P

She's Henrietta I think. She's cute.

It makes sense to me. I have a little of that attachment to things, though much less than when I was a child.
Watching a few seasons of Hoarders  has put a little healthy fear into me  :zombiefuck:  and encouraged me to get rid of a LOT of my clutter. 

I'll probably end up hoarding lots of sentamental stuff as well.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2011, 12:15:42 AM »
I know I feel sorry for stuff left at the side of the road. Like shopping trolleys just tipped over and lying on their sides.

And someone put out some chairs and I felt sorry for those and hope someone picks them up.

I've seen stuffed toys all in a messy pile at the shops and I've tried to sort them out so they are all sitting comfortably...

...kind of weird isn't it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2011, 12:19:58 AM »
I know I feel sorry for stuff left at the side of the road. Like shopping trolleys just tipped over and lying on their sides.

And someone put out some chairs and I felt sorry for those and hope someone picks them up.

I've seen stuffed toys all in a messy pile at the shops and I've tried to sort them out so they are all sitting comfortably...

I developed empathy for objects long before I develioped empathy for people. I had no empathy for other peoplr untill I was at least 10. I felt empathy towards objects from I was a toddler :laugh:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2011, 12:20:03 AM »

I do understand it. I sometimes take fewer than I want of an item at the store
because I don't want to leave the last item alone on the shelf without company.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:22:26 AM by couldbecousin »

People forget.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2011, 12:21:51 AM »

lol Yep. Exactly the same as me though. Maybe it's some kinda weird empathy fuckup because of the autism

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2011, 12:26:39 AM »
Yeah maybe it is because of autism. I haven't told anyone in rl what I feel about objects because I will probably get laughed at or something.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2011, 12:29:29 AM »
Yeah maybe it is because of autism. I haven't told anyone in rl what I feel about objects because I will probably get laughed at or something.

Hoarders would understand. Aside from keeping things in case of future need or to avoid waste, many I've seen on the show
are attached to their stuff and feel great guilt, anxiety and sadness about letting any of it go.

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2016, 01:22:34 PM »
  Bumping to discuss attachment to things vs. willingness to discard.  Since I last posted here,
  I've gotten more callous toward inanimate objects, and more concerned about my precious Self.  :P
  Seriously, I want a better life, so I'm not going to be tied down to my current shabby lifestyle by any
  old stuff from the past.  I like to imagine I'm moving to Telluride in a short time, if I can get rid of
  all the stuff that's holding me back here.  It does help.  Also, I remember that it won't matter anyway,
  because a lot of the inanimate stuff I worry about will still be here when I'm dead and forgotten.  :P

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2016, 03:55:54 PM »
despite my best intentions, I bought 5 shirts, 3 pair of shorts, and some household items at Goodwill.   :-[
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: