Author Topic: Fixing dollar bills  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Fixing dollar bills
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2010, 09:14:33 PM »
For the non-Americans, Amendment 1:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

IMHO "In G_d we trust," does not seem to establish "a" religion.  Religion to me includes a formal structure and belief system, which the phrase doesn't seem to do.  Now if it said "In the Baptist G_d we trust"  that would be different.

I agree with your reasoning.

Scrapheap

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2010, 09:20:02 PM »
If a school teacher or politician was to say that America is a Christian Nation and we are to do the bidding of the Christian God, would you have a problem with that??

This is in the Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

What's next, are you going to propose removing all mention of a Creator from that as well?

The Declaration of Independence isn't a doccument concerned with establishing the powers of government. It merely declared independence from the British Crown. At the time of it's writing, America was governed by the Continental Congress. The Constitution supercedes anything writen prior. The Supreme Court decisions regarding the interpretation of the establishment clause are the law of the land.  :police: I'm just enfocing them when the Federal Reserve won't.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »
If a school teacher or politician was to say that America is a Christian Nation and we are to do the bidding of the Christian God, would you have a problem with that??

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

What's next, are you going to propose removing all mention of a Creator from that as well?

The Declaration of Independence isn't a doccument concerned with establishing the powers of government. It merely declared independence from the British Crown. At the time of it's writing, America was governed by the Continental Congress. The Constitution supercedes anything writen prior. The Supreme Court decisions regarding the interpretation of the establishment clause are the law of the land.  :police: I'm just enfocing them when the Federal Reserve won't.

You truly are a beacon of rectitude ;)

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2010, 10:13:01 PM »
MODERN CHALLENGES TO THE MOTTO’S USE

Since 1955, all the United States coins and currency have carried the motto "In God We Trust." Not until 1970 and 1978 were the laws authorizing its use legally challenged. Responding to atheist Madalyn Murray O"Hair’s charge, the court rejected her argument that the phrase, "In God We Trust," violated the First Amendment. The court cited remarks about the motto made by Justice William Brennan in his concurring opinion in Abingdon v. Schempp, (the case which struck down school Bible reading) stating:

It is not that the use of these four words (In God We Trust) can be dismissed as ‘de minimis’… The truth is that we have simply interwoven the motto so deeply into the fabric of our civil policy that its present use may well not present that type of involvement which the First Amendment prohibits."

The United States Supreme Court refused to hear her appeal.

Guardian of the Empire

Scrapheap

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 12:20:56 PM »
Can we get back on subject here? Namely how the "In god we trust" on money is an unconstitutional violation of the establishment clause.  >:(

I'm telling you peoplez, MARK OFF THE "IN GOD WE TRUST" OFF OF YOUR MONEY!!!

I don't have a problem with it being on my money, so I won't be defacing any dollar bills.

BTW, you never answered my question.  :P

Scrapheap

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 12:24:21 PM »
MODERN CHALLENGES TO THE MOTTO’S USE

Since 1955, all the United States coins and currency have carried the motto "In God We Trust." Not until 1970 and 1978 were the laws authorizing its use legally challenged. Responding to atheist Madalyn Murray O"Hair’s charge, the court rejected her argument that the phrase, "In God We Trust," violated the First Amendment. The court cited remarks about the motto made by Justice William Brennan in his concurring opinion in Abingdon v. Schempp, (the case which struck down school Bible reading) stating:

It is not that the use of these four words (In God We Trust) can be dismissed as ‘de minimis’… The truth is that we have simply interwoven the motto so deeply into the fabric of our civil policy that its present use may well not present that type of involvement which the First Amendment prohibits."

The United States Supreme Court refused to hear her appeal.

The Supreme Court probably realized what a pissweak argument the Federal Judge made. His argument can be broken down into: "We've gotten away with this for enough time that it's OK for us to continue getting away with it."

Scrapheap

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 12:30:08 PM »
For the non-Americans, Amendment 1:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

IMHO "In G_d we trust," does not seem to establish "a" religion.  Religion to me includes a formal structure and belief system, which the phrase doesn't seem to do.  Now if it said "In the Baptist G_d we trust"  that would be different.

I agree with your reasoning.

Neither of you really thought this one through. In Western culture, the word "god" is used interchangibly with the Abrahamic god "Yahweh". The courts have played a semantical sleight of hand here. They interpret "god" in the generic sense, when the people who put it there quite clearly intended it to mean "Yahweh". It was a sneaky way to get Judeo-Christian monotheism under then nose of the Constitution. It's a prime Orwellian example of language as propoganda.

richard

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 11:36:19 AM »
ok i love money. I really dont care what is written on them  >:D

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2010, 01:50:23 PM »
If you don't like what's printed on the bills send them to me and I'll send back some Confederate currency.  LOL
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Scrapheap

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2010, 02:10:43 PM »
If you don't like what's printed on the bills send them to me and I'll send back some Confederate currency.  LOL

:lol: