Educational

Author Topic: Darkest music ever.  (Read 358 times)

DukeNukem

Darkest music ever.
« on: November 11, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »
Jacula/Antonius Rex are Italian progressive rock pioneers that got their start in the late 60's. Their music consists mainly of church organ and electric guitar, with no drummer (even though there is some percussion in their music), and the lyrics are usually spoken (in Latin, I think). I have heard two of their albums and their songwriting is great, it sounds like church/funeral music or something you would hear in a horror movie or something like that. The real kicker here is that the guitar playing is very heavy and way ahead of its time, even compared to Black Sabbath, it sounds more like 80's black metal bands like Celtic Frost or Bathory. Oh, and they predated BS by a year with their first album "In Cauda Semper Stat Venenum", in 1969! Here are two songs from that album:

I'm still in doubt whether this was really recorded in 1969, these versions were remastered, but still... Whether the date is inaccurate or not, I enjoy the music, and look at that fucking album cover! Creepy as Hell...

And here's a song from their 1974 album, "Neque Semper Arcum Tendit Rex", for kicks:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:19:55 PM by Pentagram »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Darkest music ever.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 03:00:24 PM »
Definitely Victorian drama music.  Royal applause.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

eris

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 10:20:33 PM »
Well I saw that you mentioned bathory so I had to take a listen. I listened to the first one and the third on, and they were pretty good. The first one is like ambient black metal I assume ? I didnt google it or anything. If that third one is from 1969 thats amazing, because it sounds like 1991 to me. Im going to look more into that second band,

I have a GREAT LOVE of black metal  :2thumbsup: Bethlehem is probably the darkest music Ive ever heard ( and it is one of my favorite bands ) I also like Burzum and that first band almost sounded like some Burzum tracks. I mean Burzum is black metal but also ambient sometimes. Bathory, Absu, Burzum, Bethlehem, Cattle DEcapitation , this is what I listen to about half of the time.

DukeNukem

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 04:46:39 AM »
Well I saw that you mentioned bathory so I had to take a listen. I listened to the first one and the third on, and they were pretty good. The first one is like ambient black metal I assume ? I didnt google it or anything. If that third one is from 1969 thats amazing, because it sounds like 1991 to me. Im going to look more into that second band,

I have a GREAT LOVE of black metal  :2thumbsup: Bethlehem is probably the darkest music Ive ever heard ( and it is one of my favorite bands ) I also like Burzum and that first band almost sounded like some Burzum tracks. I mean Burzum is black metal but also ambient sometimes. Bathory, Absu, Burzum, Bethlehem, Cattle DEcapitation , this is what I listen to about half of the time.

Actually, the third one is from 1974. But yes, it does sound like something from 1991. Jacula/Antonius Rex are considered progressive rock/metal pioneers, but their similarities to the black metal bands you have mentioned is almost uncanny. I highly recommend listening to their albums "In Cauda Semper Stat Venenum" and "Neque Semper Arcum Tendit Rex", they are both amazing.

I am a fan of the black metal bands you have mentioned, especially Bathory and Burzum. But I'm really more of a fan of doom/stoner metal bands like Trouble, Candlemass, Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Sleep, etc., they are awesome bands themselves. Since you like black metal and seem to like the slower and darker side of it, let me make you a recommendation: Bethlehem, only their first album "Dark Metal", but that is also one fucking amazing album. It is pretty much doom/black metal, the atmosphere is incredible on that album. :thumbup:

eris

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 06:41:44 AM »
Yes bethlehem is one of my favorite bands of all time  :squiddy:

You probably heard this, but may have not. It is not on any album, it is on the Gummo soundtrack. It is my favorite Bethlehem song. I also like Sleep :)

This is probably one of my favorite songs of all time

DukeNukem

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 01:15:29 PM »
Yes bethlehem is one of my favorite bands of all time  :squiddy:

You probably heard this, but may have not. It is not on any album, it is on the Gummo soundtrack. It is my favorite Bethlehem song. I also like Sleep :)

This is probably one of my favorite songs of all time

:thumbdn: No no no no no no no no no. Just no. I'm sorry, but I don't like anything made by Bethlehem other than Dark Metal. That was a great album, but after that, the band stopped writing good songs, and replaced their excellent vocalist with some cunt who is so fucking annoying and obnoxious. If they had kept their old vocalist and their songwriting brilliance, then they would probably have had a chance at writing an even better album than Dark Metal, which might be an impossibility. You know what they say, what goes up, must come down.

P.S.: Ever heard of the band Dolorian?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:20:38 PM by Pentagram »

eris

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 01:53:14 PM »
yes the screaming gets a little excessive I agree.  :green: It is kind of theatrical, too. I honestly havent heard any harsher vocals ( black metal style ) than bethlehem, so i think that is the appeal for me.

I stick mostly black metal but also deathcore like Cattle Decapitation and some doom metal, I love Sleep. If you may think of some band you think I might have no heard or please tell me.  Ive never heard of Dolorian Im going to google that.

DukeNukem

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »
yes the screaming gets a little excessive I agree.  :green: It is kind of theatrical, too. I honestly havent heard any harsher vocals ( black metal style ) than bethlehem, so i think that is the appeal for me.

I stick mostly black metal but also deathcore like Cattle Decapitation and some doom metal, I love Sleep. If you may think of some band you think I might have no heard or please tell me.  Ive never heard of Dolorian Im going to google that.

Cattle Decapitation are actually grindcore, not deathcore. I used to like that band, back when I mostly knew only of whatever gets played on satellite radio, that metal channel they have on there. I kind of forgot about them when I really got into doom metal. Heh. But still, I might listen to Cattle Decapitation again. About Dolorian, they were recommended to me when I asked for a band like Bethlehem on some metal forum, I listened to their album "When All The Laughter Has Gone" and became hooked. They are not a whole lot like Bethlehem, but I would still call them blackened doom metal with a little ambiance. Dolorian are fucking amazing.

I know a whole lot of doom metal bands, but not much of any other genre, really. Ever heard of dISEMBOWELEMENT? They are death/doom, but they remind me of Bethlehem because they also have a great, doomy atomsphere. This isn't the romantic gothic crap that usually gets associated with "death/doom", this is the real deal, the speed of their songs changes from very fast to very slow on a whim, literally swinging on both sides of the extreme metal spectrum, in almost every song on their only full-length album "Transcendence into the Peripheral".

eris

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:26:16 AM »
I think I should mention I dont listen to black metal exclusivly. I like a lot of lame bands, im sure. Mosty post-punk and 80 alternative. Yeah, so Im really not an expert. I did recently heard of CAttle Decapitation, though. A friend told me about it maybe 5 or 6 months ago? Im just not used to finding new bands i like

and thank you for those suggestions  :zoinks: you've got good taste. It is always good to find new music

DukeNukem

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 11:45:40 AM »
I think I should mention I dont listen to black metal exclusivly. I like a lot of lame bands, im sure. Mosty post-punk and 80 alternative. Yeah, so Im really not an expert. I did recently heard of CAttle Decapitation, though. A friend told me about it maybe 5 or 6 months ago? Im just not used to finding new bands i like

and thank you for those suggestions  :zoinks: you've got good taste. It is always good to find new music

Thanks. Too bad we are the only ones here even remotely interested in non-mainstream rock/metal. Heh.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 11:50:03 AM »
Pssst! He wants to stick his penis into you.

DukeNukem

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 11:52:37 AM »
I swore I heard something? Nah, I must be going crazy. ::)

richard

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »
Too bad we are the only ones here even remotely interested in non-mainstream rock/metal. Heh.
oh shut up dude. maybe you should bring that up at your SSI meeting tomorrow, i'm shure they'll give a fuck about your musical tastes just about as much as your disability