Educational

Author Topic: Disability hearing? (Americans only)  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Disability hearing? (Americans only)
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »
I'm just going to start with a call to the local office and the employee who saw us. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2010, 08:32:49 PM »
Whoa, wait a minute, my mom signed me up for SSI when I was 18 and I hadn't even had a job before back then. I didn't get approved till around March.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2010, 09:02:02 PM »
I have yet to understand or master the system.  Some people seem to get disability the first time around.  Others have to fight for it.  My sister fought for a couple of years to get her disability recoginzed. 

The Princess Royal was collecting since she was under 18 when her Dad retired and continued after that since she was still in school.  We had to prove that she was disabled, but since we had documentation from about age 7 months from various doctors in various practices and the school system and independent evaluations it was an easy decision for them to make.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2010, 10:37:29 PM »
I was lucky to get approved the first time. Back then my anxiety was more bad and I was inflexible to changes and had a hard time with them then. But I am better now and very flexible.

Only thing that disables me is society. Getting a job ain't easy and I can go around applying for jobs and no one will hire me. I figured it was the economy. But they wouldn't be hiring if they didn't need anyone and not one called for an interview. I don't know if it was me or the economy. I just say it's the economy. So I went to this company that is for people with disabilities and they give them a job but it's not guaranteed. Better than not having a job and now I finally work again.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2010, 12:35:08 AM »
Kit - glad to read that you got a job.  As you know jobs for disabled people are scarce unless they have what I call a "highly visible" disability such as using a wheel chair or Down Syndrome.  Maybe the visible disabilities make customers, clients and other employees feel better about the company or more accepting of the disability.  Who knows, but it sounds like someone could get some grant money and do some research on this.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2010, 05:16:08 AM »
I found a site about SSI benefits. It doesn't make much sense to me since I am not American but hopefully there is some information there that you can use.
www.disabilitysecrets.com
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2010, 12:56:44 PM »
Kit - glad to read that you got a job.  As you know jobs for disabled people are scarce unless they have what I call a "highly visible" disability such as using a wheel chair or Down Syndrome.  Maybe the visible disabilities make customers, clients and other employees feel better about the company or more accepting of the disability.  Who knows, but it sounds like someone could get some grant money and do some research on this.

I've been told how it's easier to have Down's syndrome than autism because they can get a job easier at McDonalds. People can see their disability so they hire them. But with autism, you don't know they have a disability and you don't hire them. I've been told it's harder for people with disabilities to get jobs because of discrimination. Even though it is illegal, it still happens. It's easy to get away with. You just need excuses like "Over qualified" "the other person had better experience than this other person" "The other person has worked that job longer at the other place he used to work at." And yes the over qualified one can happen to anyone, disability or not, if you have a college degree, you are over qualified to work at a fast food restaurant or as a bagger at a grocery store or maybe as a cashier. So all these people are also struggling to get a job who have been laid off due to our economy. One of my dad's friends recently moved back to Montana after living in my area for twenty five years or so. he also couldn't find a job out here after being laid off and his unemployment ran out and he started a business in Bozeman and moved there. Sometimes you have to move to get a new job. My dad also helped him with the move. He flew out here and helped him pack his truck and they drove out there. I don't remember how he got back home since it's three hours away where he lives.

So it's nice there are voc rehabs and places that are for people with disabilities to get a job so no matter what kind you have, you get one from them but it's not guaranteed because they don't always have new job openings and when you are on the waiting list, they don't go in order. They just draw a name. Plus this company I work for, they are always firing people. I hear they fire the most people and to me it's a joke because it's for people with disabilities but that place isn't for everyone because what if you are unable to do the job? You're screwed. It's all janitorial work. Plus the rules are strict and you have to be on time and everything and not be too slow. I don't see how a person in a wheelchair is going to do the job. I know a blind person can and a deaf person because I have seen it when I was in training. And I know someone at work who is non verbal due to his cerebral palsy and he does his job there. His disability doesn't stop him from doing it. At first I wondered if he was autistic but I was told he has CP. I know being non verbal doesn't always mean someone has autism. It can be other things. But luckily my company also has job coaches or allows one. But you have to bring in your disability documents when you go to them but if they are too old, it takes them awhile to have them put you in classes because if you have SSI or SSDI or whatever, they request getting information from them and you know how slow they are. Testing you is the last thing they do. They requested getting information from them but never got them so I had to go to my doctors and get my list of my current conditions and send it to them so they speed up and they did after they got it. And this was two months of waiting for them to approve me so I finally went to my doctor.

I still think my company is a joke due to these reasons I listed and other reasons too.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »
Kit - I agree with a lot of what you said. 

Discrimination is something we'll always have on Earth as long as there are humans.  That doesn't mean we have to accept it.  Things are better for the disabled than they were in the 1960's and earlier.  I think the disabled were pushed aside with the Industrial Revolution.  Before then, if a disabled person survived the disabling accident or birth event the family often found chores or jobs for them to do.  Someone with developmental disabilities could feed the chicken, draw water and other simple farm chores.  If you were a tradesman the handicapped could do some of the simpler tasks of the trade in many cases.  It wasn't an ideal situation back then, but it was better than life in the recent past.

Some of what you're saying as a negative (being on time) is something that would be required of any worker.  If the employees are being bussed to the job, the van needs to leave at a certain time.  If the employees meet at the job site, they should be on time so the manager can make announcements, see that equipment is handed out at the same time, etc.  Not different from when I worked and we had to carpool to the distant worksite.  If you weren't there by the designated departure time then you drove to the site at your own expense.  Reasonable because you didn't want professional staggering into the work site at different times. 

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2010, 12:13:04 AM »
Here's a comparison with our Social Security Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_%28Australia%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_Services_Australia

These are only a guide as to how the Australian system works.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 12:17:10 AM by Steve-O »

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2010, 05:24:33 AM »
Disability income is about to disappear from this country completely soon.

Still, people get pushed to apply for it.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

DukeNukem

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2010, 07:37:48 AM »

It is? How soon? :zombiefuck:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2010, 07:41:29 AM »

Just remember, hyke lives in the Netherlands. I haven't heard of any such thing about to happen here in the States.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

DukeNukem

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2010, 07:42:39 AM »

Just remember, hyke lives in the Netherlands. I haven't heard of any such thing about to happen here in the States.

Oh, okay. She had me scared for a minute. :o

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2010, 07:44:12 AM »

Oh, okay. She had me scared for a minute. :o

Yeah, I can see why. I wonder what disabled Dutch people will do without that income though.  ???
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

DukeNukem

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2010, 07:45:37 AM »
Is the Netherlands in a worse economic situation than even the USA is?