Author Topic: Do you tick the "I have a disablity" box on job application forms?  (Read 739 times)

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
I have a friend (diagnosed AS) who was looking for a job, and he used to tick the box and write that he had
asperger's, and they never got back to him.  But as soon as he stopped ticking the box, "the offers came
flooding in", and he now has a job.    Do you tick it if applying for a job?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 05:09:54 AM by La_Mala »

thepeaguy

Re: Do you tick the "I have a disablity" box on job application forms?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 06:44:28 AM »
I have a friend (diagnosed AS) who was looking for a job, and he used to tick the box and write that he had
asperger's, and they never got back to him.  But as soon as he stopped ticking the box, "the offers came

It's illegal in this society to discriminate a job applicant based on his/her's disabilities.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 06:47:39 AM »

It's illegal in this society to discriminate a job applicant based on his/her's disabilities.

It may be illegal but employers can always find another 'reason' why you weren't suitable or why another candiadate was more suitable than you.  Just because disability discrimination is illegal is doesn't mean that he still doesn't happen or that you can prove it when it does.

duncvis

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 06:48:23 AM »
Not sure if I would or not to be honest. The only way I'm likely to get another job is through an agency, so they'd inform the client anyway and try to place me with a company which is likely to be a decent fit.

After my last experience and the hassle I got off the fuckers (I hadn't declared my AS as I was still self diagnosed at that point) after I was forced by increasing inability to cope to declare it after working there a few months, I'll be very wary of not disclosing in future. Not that I'm fit to work atm anyway.

never seems to stop them doing it in secret though, unfortunately.

thepeaguy

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 06:55:56 AM »

It may be illegal but employers can always find another 'reason' why you weren't suitable or why another candiadate was more suitable than you.  Just because disability discrimination is illegal is doesn't mean that he still doesn't happen or that you can prove it when it does.

And the current government expects the likes of myself to be in employed jobs rather then live on disability. How in the world am I expected to work when I have to go through all this nonsense? I mean, what if I have a meltdown or something, and they don't know what to do when they don't know anything about my handicaps? It's stupid.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 07:01:19 AM »
I agree it is stupid, but unfortunately its hard to legislate against people's misconceptions and prejudices.

IMO, it doesn't matter how many schemes the government comes up with to help people with a 'disability' into work or how much legislation to stop disablility discrimination- employers are always going to prefer the 'normal' person because it seems the easier option.

duncvis

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 07:04:10 AM »
And the current government expects the likes of myself to be in employed jobs rather then live on disability. How in the world am I expected to work when I have to go through all this nonsense? I mean, what if I have a meltdown or something, and they don't know what to do when they don't know anything about my handicaps? It's stupid.

It certainly is. On a related note, I have a medical interview/review thingy for my Incapacity Benefit next Friday - will be interested to see if they can find a way to boot me off on to JSA - not that it will succeed, as a trip to the doctors would soon have me back on Incapacity. Happy, happy, joy. :mad:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 07:07:06 AM »

It certainly is. On a related note, I have a medical interview/review thingy for my Incapacity Benefit next Friday - will be interested to see if they can find a way to boot me off on to JSA - not that it will succeed, as a trip to the doctors would soon have me back on Incapacity. Happy, happy, joy. :mad:

Good luck with that, Duncvis.   :crossed:

thepeaguy

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 07:12:36 AM »
I agree it is stupid, but unfortunately its hard to legislate against people's misconceptions and prejudices.

IMO, it doesn't matter how many schemes the government comes up with to help people with a 'disability' into work or how much legislation to stop disablility discrimination- employers are always going to prefer the 'normal' person because it seems the easier option.

Or if you're a citizen from Poland, or from any other impoverished country, who thinks that the British minimum wage is the equivalent of earning like a millionaire -- easiest.

duncvis

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 07:16:07 AM »
At least they do until they get here and have to try and live on it, anyway.

thepeaguy

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 07:19:01 AM »
At least they do until they get here and have to try and live on it, anyway.

Damn, the joke didn't catch on.

-1 to me.

(Oh wait, I can't karma point myself, can I? Duhh...)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 10:31:59 AM »

you can prove it simply by the fact that they ask the question.

then, an attorney can pull the records and see how many people answered that question vs how many were actually hired.
finally, just wait for the payday.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 10:37:38 AM »
I don't tick any such boxes. I don't like unemployment that much.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 01:28:19 PM »

Indeed PI.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 03:42:20 PM »
I never told my jobs I had AS. I said, "Fuck that shit."