Author Topic: Should violent videogames be restricted?  (Read 217 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Should violent videogames be restricted?
« on: November 05, 2010, 01:48:01 PM »
Do they encourage violent behaviour? I think this link is bullshit. If someone is fucked up, they are fucked up and anything could trigger that. To say that violent video games are responsible is a cop-out

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Should violent videogames be restricted?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »
Although if I had young children I woukdn't want them playing certain games or watching certain films

Scrapheap

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 02:23:57 PM »
Violence is programmed into human DNA.

video games should be the least of peoples concerns.  ::)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 02:25:37 PM »
I never saw them as a problem if anything you can pick out the people who become obsessed with them and check them out
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:04:52 PM »
Meh, blaming video games is merely shifting moral culpability away from the parents who are truly responsible when the person is or was a child, or to an psychological state of the person. I find it disturbing and rather lazy to blame video games for poor parenting, or for someone who has a psychological disorder/mentally unsound to begin with. The point is, if the parents were to properly teach their kids the concept of what divides fantasy from reality, instead of sugar-coating the world to their child; then violent video games would not have such influence. Same goes for some who's clearly got psychological issues, and is treated appropriately before letting such influences inspire their behaviour.

The key is understanding real life consequences, and the fact that video games do nothing to show that realistically, so both circumstances are not the same.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.