Educational

Author Topic: Should transsexuals be legally recognised as the sex they have transitioned to?  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
I  pretty much agree. I'm not sure about the straight thing though - because they are still straight (or whatever it is they are). I mean they ARE attracted to that person, whether that person is male, female, previously male or previously female.  I have no problem with people not being attracted to trans people etc - I am only attracted to feminine women myself so it's unlikely I would have a relationship with a transsexual unless she passed very well.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
This guy was rejected and told he should use the women's bathroom lol. I mean wtf  :screwy:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
so what does everyone think about the bathroom issue? Does it infringe on other people's rights to allow trans people to use the correct bathroom?

Found this in the news today:

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/nov/10110506.html

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
so what does everyone think about the bathroom issue? Does it infringe on other people's rights to allow trans people to use the correct bathroom?

Found this in the news today:

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/nov/10110506.html

I think in general it's better for people to use the bathroom of the gender they appear to be, but if large communal bathrooms are the only ones available, then I think a preop transgender male might be better off using the female bathrooms because often there is so little privacy in large male bathrooms and a preop trans male isn't going to be able to make use of the urinals.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
But what would you think if you saw a man come into the women's bathroom while you were in therE?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
But what would you think if you saw a man come into the women's bathroom while you were in therE?

If he were far enough into the transition to have been on hormones for awhile, and he looked relatively female,
I probably wouldn't think twice. On the other hand, if he still looked male, I'd probably say, "This is the ladies' room!"  :o
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
I mean to callaway saying a pre-op trans guy could use the womens bathroom. I dont think many women would be happy with that. And it would be pretty awkward for the guy himself

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
I mean to callaway saying a pre-op trans guy could use the womens bathroom. I dont think many women would be happy with that. And it would be pretty awkward for the guy himself

Again, if he were pre-op but looked female, I probably wouldn't take any notice of him.

People forget.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
But many pre-op transguys don't look female

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore

There are lots of women with PCOS (for example) who dress in trousers and shirts from the men's department, so I would probably assume it was a masculine looking woman, if I bothered to give it that much thought.  I'm not about to ask him or her to drop their trousers at the bathroom door so I can have a look at the equipment.

:laugh:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
But many pre-op transguys don't look female

I suppose not, even after the hormones. I dunno then. I suppose I'd say "This is the ladies' room," and if the guy didn't leave,
I might go looking for security personnel, thinking it was a rapist looking for prey, especially if he seemed at all threatening.
Except that now you've given me another scenario to consider.  :chin:

People forget.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
That's my point. It's not a good idea for a trans gay to use a woman's bathroom unless he doesnt pass at all.
And in some cases it would be dangerous for the opposite - a transwoman to use a men's bathroom

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
That's my point. It's not a good idea for a trans gay to use a woman's bathroom unless he doesnt pass at all.
And in some cases it would be dangerous for the opposite - a transwoman to use a men's bathroom

The times that I do see a public bathroom, I often see men helping little daughters in the woman's bathroom, or, women who need to go urgently, heading for the men's room. The waiting time always is a lot shorter there.

So far, I have not seen anyone react badly on that.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
I don't think i've ever seen a man go in a woman'w bathroom before. I don't go in public toilets though.

Which I'm glad about. I haven't been in a public toilet for years so it's not a problem for me. I don't look like a man though so could go in women's toilets fine anyway, but in the future I might not be able to.

From what I've read online, it's easier for trans guys to just go in mens toilets because men are less likely to pay attention

Binty

I usually go to the men's loos coz the queues for the ladies are too long and I'm not arsed to wait.

Once a man thought he was accidentally in the wrong loo when he saw me come out of the cubicle :laugh: