Educational

Author Topic: Socrates....  (Read 721 times)

Offline Loupgarou

• Tormented Werewolf of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
Socrates....
« on: November 01, 2010, 09:40:25 AM »
The best I could do for now wothout writing a whole book or getting arrested ;)

http://thedemonrun.wordpress.com/

Some of my views are confrontational and non-conformist. If you have strong beliefs regarding a "Cure" or genetic testing, do not read.

Stirring the pot.

Oh I should mention that it is 0130 in the morning and I have not a seed of sanity. Off to the nuthouse!!!!! :zoinks:

Loup

"Long-winded speech is exhausting. Better to stay centered". - Lao Tzu

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
Re: Socrates....
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:46:45 AM »
Oh I should mention that it is 0130 in the morning and I have not a seed of sanity. Off to the nuthouse!!!!! :zoinks:

Loup

But you're already here!

:zoinks:  :sexymush: :bunny: :shark: :lolhit: :sex?: :whipped: :happydance: :smarty: :moon: :pie: :spank: :techprob: :spitscreen: :mwhaha: :bint: :fly: :cuckoo: :tinfoil: :GA: :deadhorse:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:49:42 AM »
SQUIDDLY!!!!!!! :asthing: :asthing: :zoinks:

Loup

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 09:49:56 AM »

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:12:40 AM »
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 02:45:39 PM »
Where is Socrates? :chin:

Did anyone else read it? What did you think? Did I miss anything?

Ground control to Major Tom

Loup

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »
Well written article.

I've always kind of sat on the fence when it comes to a cure for Autism. Personally, I wouldn't want to be cured, because I love my life, and I like the person I am, and curing autism would probably make me a completely different person. On the other hand, most of us here are very high functioning, and what's good for us isn't necessarily good for people who are much severely autistic. I'm not sure whether it would be right to not look for a treatment that could help those who who are more severely affected.

TBH though, I have to admit to not knowing a lot about the argument either way. Other than posting on this site I don't really know anything about autism.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:21:33 PM by Butterflies »

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Same here hon :indeed: but this one thing really got my goat.

I should just build a bunker and wait for the end times. Take my nihilist attitude and listen for the silence :violin:

Glad you enjoyed it though. My writing never makes sense to me which is why I always need a second opinion.

LOup

Celticgoddess

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »
First off, very well written.  :plus:

Secondly, the whole thing is a very slippery slope. I don't want a cure myself, I don't want one for my son. We've talked about it and he said if there was one, he wouldn't take it because it would change who he is, and I agree. But I know of parents who would for their severely autistic children (that I understand) but I also know parents who would for their very high functioning children. Even though the child says they like themselves the way they are, the parent says "but you could be better, and it would be easier" and that's when I want to scream.

Genetic testing - I'm really against it. I think over time the autistic population would start to dwindle. Then you'd have a huge lapse in really good computer programmers, accountants and statisticians. :laugh:

In all seriousness, I don't feel that genetic testing for autism should be an option. I get really nervous when people starting trying to weed things out in the quest for the perfect baby.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 04:26:22 PM »
I liked the article.

And I liked the one on chinese medicine. Very nice and well written. Loup is hiding talent!

I wouldn't mind being cured of the thing that makes me screw up the interpersonal stuff that keeps me unable to keep friends or a job. but that is only because i haven't found a better solution than a cure.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »
Thanks CG. It is good to hear thoughts :thumbup: Yep, it is all about having the choice. I do not believe that any one category of social issues can be measured as a group. It is all about the INDIVIDUAL and the right as a parent to make individual choices.

I do not personally believe in genetic testing for anything. It is bad for evolution and natural selection to "weed" out anomolies "just because you can and the science is available to do so" , paradoxically however, I also accept that it exists, and the human race with destroy itself in the process. Que sera. You need mutation for the species to adapt and survive.

Humans are silly. I remember being at uni during my science degree and felt very isolated because I disagreed with all the new and nubile minds. I felt like I was surrounded by robots or a herd of pack animals following the leader. They ALL talked about genetic engineering. That is the way of the future, I was told. I hate that cliche. >:(. My biology lecturer was the only one who showed any sense, and did not attach emotion to controversial issues. It was all about the facts. The pros and cons of everything.

Talking hypocrites, I do not believe in stem cell treatment. I think if you are meant to die, you are meant to die. BUT if my son was diagnosed with something that could be cured by stem cell therapy, I would be on it like flies on shit. I would DO anything to help him get better.

Oh, I am my own worst enemy. welcome to my fractured human mind. I wish I was a robot :(

Loup

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »
I liked the article.

And I liked the one on chinese medicine. Very nice and well written. Loup is hiding talent!

I wouldn't mind being cured of the thing that makes me screw up the interpersonal stuff that keeps me unable to keep friends or a job. but that is only because i haven't found a better solution than a cure.

Thanks Neuro :zoinks:

And it is your individual right to do whatever you think is best for you, if it is available. If a cure was the best thing for you, so be it.

I do not like social policy, because it is homologous. It lumps everyone in the same category.

My parents used to call me an anarchist as a child and so they played me the Sex Pistols:

Yes, my parents are highly intelligent but also completely bent.
 :zoinks:

Loup

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »
Hey sexy modulators, would this thread be better in POLITICAL PUNITIVE PUNDITS forum?

Take no notice of the punitive part. I just like busting rhymes.

Loup

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 05:23:18 PM »
I think you're right and I'll move it for you right now, Loup.

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 05:27:40 PM »
Thanks Callaway :thumbup:

Loup