Educational

Author Topic: Should we abolish the monarchy in the UK?  (Read 1824 times)

Scrapheap

Re: Should we abolish the monarchy in the UK?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 11:25:46 AM »
But if you didn't have that, what would you Limeys talk about??  :zoinks:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 11:36:32 AM »
I think it's wrong to have an unelected hea of state in 2010. It's something we need to move on from.

David Cameron is a twat but at least he was elected (although by a retarded eletorate)

I don't think it's right that they pretty much do fguck all but have all this money when other people have to work fucking hard for practically nothing

They do bring in tourists, but Buckingham palace etc would still bring in tourists as an historical site I think

In some ways I think an unelected head of state is a good idea. Nobody can REALLY hate Queenie, because she doesn't really say anything. Probably at least half the people in the country detest Cameron.
They do have far too much money, and hangers on though. A much slimmed down monarchy along the lines of some of the European monarchys might be a decent idea.
TBH. I don't know why we need a head of state anyway, but I'm sure there's a good reason for it.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 11:59:50 AM »
Of course we should keep the monarchy!

It means we get pointless holidays for weddings no one really cares about!  :zoinks:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Scrapheap

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 12:45:42 PM »
Of course we should keep the monarchy!

It means we get pointless holidays for weddings no one really cares about!  :zoinks:

:indeed:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 11:14:09 PM »
tat just annoys the fuck outta me - I'm sick of hearing about this daft Prince William weddinng :P

And it's not happening till fucking April so we got months of this shit  :facepalm2:

But it'll be way cooler than that daft Prince Charles/Camilla wedding!  :zoinks:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

richard

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 11:37:58 AM »
why does everyone in america care about prince william and his princess? its always on the goddamn news, thank goodness they've picked a wedding date because i was about ready to blow up my Tvs

Scrapheap

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 11:39:54 AM »
why does everyone in america care about prince william and his princess? its always on the goddamn news, thank goodness they've picked a wedding date because i was about ready to blow up my Tvs

We don't have our own Royalty, but the American public still has a need for fairy tales.  ::)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 08:53:14 PM »
Get rid of the freeloaders.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Scrapheap

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
Get rid of the freeloaders.

Enough about Goldman Sachs already, I thought we were talking about the Monarchy.  :orly:

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 11:13:38 PM »

Damn, they haven't even got married yet?

Scrapheap

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 11:16:20 PM »

Damn, they haven't even got married yet?

No, and I'm still waiting for their first sex tape to get leaked.  ;D

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 02:15:03 AM »
The Monarchy brings in a hell of a lot of money - in addition to which, they serve as good avatars and international relations for the country.

We'd be worse off without them - lose that tourism income.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 07:10:08 AM »
I just hate the fact that these people are given credibility and a self of importance and entitlement. Why? Because centuries ago their ancestors were ruthless and shrewd enough to become rulers and own their position. What do these guys do...really? They are ambassadors and wave and shit but they don't really do much at all.
They are kind of the Paris Hiltons of the world. Famous for being famous which makes no real sense.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 08:01:51 AM »
Monarchy = Biggest dole merchants ever. :zoinks:

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 09:10:31 AM »
Monarchy = Biggest dole merchants ever. :zoinks:

Wrong, actually - the royal family earns a bucket of money every year, hands the whole lot over to the Treasury, and gets a stipend back (to pay for upkeep, staff and so on). Said stipend has not increased in amount in decades, and the palaces are starting to fall into disrepair.

I just hate the fact that these people are given credibility and a self of importance and entitlement. Why? Because centuries ago their ancestors were ruthless and shrewd enough to become rulers and own their position. What do these guys do...really? They are ambassadors and wave and shit but they don't really do much at all.
They are kind of the Paris Hiltons of the world. Famous for being famous which makes no real sense.

To be fair, the Queen is a shrewd diplomat - and she has a lot of experience on the world stage.

The Monarchy has no power; the Queen is just the figurehead of the ship, our public face - one that hasn't changed in a long time. That's a good thing - international relationships are unstable things at the best of times, what with term limits and elections, so having someone be the Avatar for their country adds an impression of stability and steadiness.