Educational

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 1904 times)

The_Chosen_One

Re: Religion
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 06:50:55 PM »
I never had a religion to start with in the first place, although I will tell you how I became an Strong Atheist, I wasn't one before say a few months ago. I was more Agnostic than anything else, mainly because apart from Islam I had not really read too much into religion. Atfer I have done a fair bit of reading into religion, I am convinced that god is a human invention and a psychological illusion (I have very seldom had, in fact I am puzzled by people who say to me they feel god in their lives).

My story,

I was raised by my avowedly atheist mother from age 4-13, then I moved with my dad and his then wife who subscribed to various new age stuff (including belief in Aliens visiting Earth). That experience affected me to the extent, I was always looking at Christianity from the position of an outsider and also I developed a solidly rationalistic, skeptical mindset.

Being open-minded and freethinking made me open in hearing about the ideas the Christians were preaching about. For a long time my main contact with Christians were with that of the liberal variety, I generally found them an all right lot and not terribly dogmatic. Since I have been at university for the last couple of years or so, I got to meet evangelical Christians. Being open-minded I started hearing about the gospel and reading the bible.

Compared to the Quran and Orthodox Islam, I did not find the evangelical Christians and their ideas all that threatening to my lifestyle. I guess the turning point for me lately has been, reading the bible more in-depth and in a way I did not before. Also reading works by ‘new atheist’ authors such as Dawkins, Harris, Onfray and Hitchens. Also my contact with Evangelical Christians has changed my views as well, I tend to see those people in having often a ‘correct’ interpretation of the bible, which my readings has confirmed. I am starting to evaluate seriously my neutral to slightly positive view of Christianity. I am also realizing the better Christians are the ones who don’t interpret the bible literally.

As the title of my post says, I have been through an 'atheist revival' akin to what happens to some Christians. My general apathy to Christianity and other religions are disappearing and I am becoming more critical of it, more in line with my view of Islam. Also far from seeing Dawkins, Dennett, Harris and Hitchens as 'loonies', I am to them and agree with their core message.
that was a good read :plus:

at this point in my life i would become a christian, if it would help me. joel osteen seems to have what i want, i dont care if hes a tv preacher, hes always happy! about everything, is happyness like that learned? i dont know but i'd like to know the feeling

You could make him happier. Show him your BIG FUCKIN' PETERS and he'll be blown sideways.

richard

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »
im shure he would have some positive spin on it dude. i dont think this guy has had one unhappy day in his life, just look at him!

Offline sanefan

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2010, 11:19:45 PM »
i was raised christian.  i went to christian schools my whole life.

i lost faith in god when i lost faith in his religious leaders.  living my life so deep in the religion i saw alot of hippocracy.  i consider myself agnostic.  i cannot believe in something that cannot be proven.  god is a leap of faith.
i also believe that religion was created by man to tap into other mens hopes and fears.  hope and fear are the two best ways to control people who, apperently, have free will.

i do believe that the teachings, or morality, that are taught in the bible make alot of sense, and i do believe that they are a great foundation in which to raise a family.  that being said i do not think that the bible needs to be used to control or dictate how any society works.  people should have free will.  in america we have a huge voting block in the south callled 'the bible belt'.  these are ignorant southeners who are brainwashed into voting strictly by the standards that their religion dictates.  i think this is dangerous.

:plus: :indeed:

Ever see the 1988 movie "They Live?" That movie, IMO, is an accurate depiction on how hardcore conformist governments force citizens to OBEY public policy without making it seem like they are forcing anything.
"Here's my man! It doesn't have to stay out and party with his guys!" "Here, let me see that...It doesn't seem to be able to pick up the fucking check, does it?"

A woman and her husband arguing about a vibrator,
Sam Kinison: Banned

Scrapheap

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2010, 11:32:44 PM »
i was raised christian.  i went to christian schools my whole life.

i lost faith in god when i lost faith in his religious leaders.  living my life so deep in the religion i saw alot of hippocracy.  i consider myself agnostic.  i cannot believe in something that cannot be proven.  god is a leap of faith.
i also believe that religion was created by man to tap into other mens hopes and fears.  hope and fear are the two best ways to control people who, apperently, have free will.

i do believe that the teachings, or morality, that are taught in the bible make alot of sense, and i do believe that they are a great foundation in which to raise a family.  that being said i do not think that the bible needs to be used to control or dictate how any society works.  people should have free will.  in america we have a huge voting block in the south callled 'the bible belt'.  these are ignorant southeners who are brainwashed into voting strictly by the standards that their religion dictates.  i think this is dangerous.

:plus: :indeed:

Ever see the 1988 movie "They Live?" That movie, IMO, is an accurate depiction on how hardcore conformist governments force citizens to OBEY public policy without making it seem like they are forcing anything.

Dude! McJagger has been gone for a while and he probably won't come back.  :-\

Scrapheap

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2010, 06:49:28 PM »
bump!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2010, 06:53:55 PM »
Religion is a load of shit. Especially Islam

Scrapheap

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2010, 08:41:21 PM »
Religion is a load of shit. Especially Islam

Is christianity any better??

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2010, 08:43:06 PM »
Christianity is shit too. But Islam is worse IMO.