Educational

Author Topic: Fucking Kroger's  (Read 916 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Fucking Kroger's
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 06:21:29 PM »
Did you use you Kroger plus card, Pentagram?

Why, yes I did. I saved a whopping $6.50 with it. Whoopee. ::)
Did you happen to think that you "earned" $6.50 by simply pulling out a card and using it?  And that took what, less than 10 seconds?

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 06:23:35 PM »
Stay away from the things that you listed.

The less processed the food is the better it is and usually cheaper.  Pop a potato in the microwave for about 50 cents.

A roasted chicken can provide about 4 meals for less than $7.  Save the bones and make soup for a fifth meal.   

Shop the seasons.  In the winter we have corn salad (canned corn and salad dressing) when lettuce is too cheap.

Eggs are a good cheap filler.  They'll fill you even more if you make French toast with them.

It is possible to eat well for less than $5 per day.  We do.  It is cheaper as you build your pantry and your recipe collection.

Try googling frugal recipes, cheap recipes, the Hillbilly Housewife (excellent source for dire days), 4 or 5 ingredient recipes.

Judy won't do that. He's fat and 19, what do you exxpect?

I expect that he'll change sooner or later. 

Shopping wisely takes time.  Time to plan, compare prices, and cook the food.  And even time and confidence to learn to cook.

When we have ground meat I always add about a cup of oatmeal to it and mix it in with the seasonings.  It's filling, stretches the meat, cheap and good for you.  Vegetarian Spaghetti is pretty good too.  Instead of meatballs we use squash, eggplant, onions, etc.   

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »

The less processed the food is the better it is and usually cheaper.  Pop a potato in the microwave for about 50 cents.

A roasted chicken can provide about 4 meals for less than $7.  Save the bones and make soup for a fifth meal.   

Shop the seasons.  In the winter we have corn salad (canned corn and salad dressing) when lettuce is too cheap.

Eggs are a good cheap filler.  They'll fill you even more if you make French toast with them.

It is possible to eat well for less than $5 per day.  We do.  It is cheaper as you build your pantry and your recipe collection.

Try googling frugal recipes, cheap recipes, the Hillbilly Housewife (excellent source for dire days), 4 or 5 ingredient recipes.

:plus:  Duke, listen to her, she knows how to manage a food budget. Those TV dinners are tasty but damned expensive.
Pasta and sauce are easy to cook, and will last you much longer than prepared meals.  :viking:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:54:18 AM by couldbecousin »
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 06:55:22 AM »

Did you happen to think that you "earned" $6.50 by simply pulling out a card and using it?  And that took what, less than 10 seconds?

That $6.50 could buy you a few boxes of pasta and a nice jar of sauce!  :viking:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 08:00:23 AM »

That $6.50 could buy you a few boxes of pasta and a nice jar of sauce!  :viking:

Or even a cheep lunch out
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 08:23:45 AM »

:plus:  Duke, listen to her, she knows how to manage a food budget. Those TV dinners are tasty but damned expensive.
Pasta and sauce are easy to cook, and will last you much longer than prepared meals.  :viking:

:indeed:

Macaroni and Cheese is a good thing to cook too , It takes half an hour tops (and this is making the cheese sauce from scratch) and you can add bacon and other things into it for a tasty , quick and cheap meal  :thumbup:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

P7PSP

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 09:44:44 AM »

:indeed:

Macaroni and Cheese is a good thing to cook too , It takes half an hour tops (and this is making the cheese sauce from scratch) and you can add bacon and other things into it for a tasty , quick and cheap meal  :thumbup:
Cheese sauce? I just grate cheese and melt in on the hot noodles.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 09:54:24 AM »
Jesus Kroist you fat cunt americans!
(end rant)

I try to keep my grocery bill down by buying bulk items (1kg pasta for example), buying minced kangaroo instead of beef (again 1kg, only ~$7, cheaper than beef), and cooking a massive meal that i can eat for days.

i love eating skippy, much better for the environment too as you don't need to clear fell a forest as you would farming cattle. it is super lean though, i'd prefer fattier meat.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

DukeNukem

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 10:28:30 AM »
Sigh... I wish I could just say "fuck it" and just eat ramen noodles and drink water for the rest of my life. I don't really want to mess around with any actual cooking.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 10:35:56 AM »
Then your problems are your own doing. Stop whining and get off your arse.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
Sigh... I wish I could just say "fuck it" and just eat ramen noodles and drink water for the rest of my life. I don't really want to mess around with any actual cooking.

If you do that you will probably have a shorter life (and I would miss you).  You don't have to "mess around" with actual cooking. 

Baking a potato in the microwave isn't really cooking.  Put some canned chili over it.
Heating some beef stew from a can and pouring it over buttered bread (trail stew).
Mixing a can of kernel and of whole corn with a can of tomatoes and slicing hot dogs in it isn't cooking in my book.  Put it over rice from the chinese take out.
Buy some ham or roast beef from the deli and serve it with a baked potato and a sliced tomato.
Canned green beans and potatoes with ham heated in the microwave
                                              or with tuna and Italian salad dressing cold.
Buy a deli chicken and some potato or macaroni salad or ready made cornbread.  Add a bit of veggies and you're good to go.
Add some left over chicken or meat to soups to boost the fullness quotient.
You can add some raw ground beef or frozen meatballs to the spaghetti sauce and pour it over Italian bread rather than cooking spaghetti.  Just make sure you cook the spaghetti sauce long enough to cook the raw ground meat, maybe 20 or so minutes.

Most of the above isn't more effort than what you're doing.  If you think this is too much effort, I cooked this way for 3 people for 3 weeks in a  hotel room during an emergency and it wasn't that much trouble.  I shopped for food each day because the hotel fridge froze food quickly. 

richard

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 11:52:43 AM »
your majesty, you give such good cooking advice!  :plus:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 12:37:53 PM »
They have committed highway robbery on me for the last time. I went into the store, planning to spend only 50 dollars on groceries, and I end up spending over twice as much! I have gotten about 50 items ranging from 1-5 dollars, their prices are jacked up as Hell, I guess I am going to have to cut down on the amount of food that I eat. Because the economy in the USA sucks ass, my income level is low, and I am gaining weight, maybe I cannot afford to eat like a king anymore. The items I have bought include soda, milk, cereal, fruit, chips & dip, TV dinners, ice cream, etc.

Look on the bright side, at least you won't eat as much and you won't eat when you're bored and it might help you lose weight and you might cut back on junk food too.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 10:18:28 PM »
This thread has made me hungry. Leftovers for lunch I think.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Scrapheap

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 10:22:14 PM »
I like turtles. :rocketturtle: