Author Topic: What was the last thing you took photo of?  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What was the last thing you took photo of?
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2017, 09:26:03 AM »
I'm familiar with sodium chloride - used it when I worked at the mushroom farm. The rest baffle me a bit.

The camera you have isn't very good at close ups. Maybe get a distance shot of the whole thing, too, before you go close up.

You have an adorable accent.

This is true.  "The little choonks."  I'd expected a much more aggressive sound.  :laugh:

For being ruler of the land, I'm not that great at recognizing accents.  Your's sounds like a posh Scottishish accent to me.  But what do I know?  Love the softness of your voice.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »
Its the best and indeed only camera I have.

And thanks ren. Coming from you that really means something :) 
Something good, of course. *squeezes*
Have grown mushrooms myself before, both for eating and for other purposes.

And lol I'm sort of a mongrel when it comes to accents, I spent a lot of time down south, when I was younger so presumably that had some effect and changed it from the typical accent of my city.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »
I dunno why anyone would want to touch art.
Why does anyone want to touch anything? Because everything is made of energy, and art has a special sort of energy. Wouldn't be compelled to touch this?

Gormley creates indestructible pieces of art and places them among people. Would assume he wants them to be interactive. Even he touches them.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2017, 11:46:59 PM »
His work is awesome.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2017, 12:11:20 AM »
I dunno why anyone would want to touch art.
Why does anyone want to touch anything? Because everything is made of energy, and art has a special sort of energy. Wouldn't be compelled to touch this?

I mean...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 02:38:51 PM by givvassapaand »
:dog:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2017, 12:15:42 AM »
Plus, I was always told as a kid not to touch objects.

Having said that, when I go clothes shopping, I want to touch everything.

Modern art isn't interesting enough for me to touch. Besides, I thought you weren't supposed to touch it.
:dog:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2017, 05:00:26 AM »
Isn't it that guy, Gormless or whatevers his face who we need to thank in the kneecaps for that gigantic rusting festering great heap of shite taking up taxpayer's money instead of it being used for, for example, treating paediatric patients in hospital, cancer  wards, or fund organ transplants  for those in need. Or food banks for those in desperate poverty.

As for me, last few things I took pics of:

Precipitation of pure, extremely fine-grained silica by means of addition of concentrated sulfuric acid to potassium silicate solution (again,  very concentrated, to the point of  being thick and viscous)

Separation out of the finest grade particulate size, so fine that it feels slimy rather than grainy if squeezed wet between the fingers, colloidal silica, I think, for use to be mixed with a binder such as plaster of paris, and spread over microscope slides, for DIYing up some TLC plates for thin-layer chromatography qualitative separation of analytes, the coarser stuff is being oven dried, then ground finer, and will be used for preparation instead, of silicon metal (well, semimetal/metalloid) to make some bigger pieces than the first few that I got back from the searing heat of a metallothermic reduction of very finely powdered SiO2 (sand essentially, but of a very much higher grade both in terms of purity and of smaller particle size (the smaller the better for preparing the silicon too, since such thermite-type reductions are easier to initiate the finer the particle size of both metal to reduce with (been testing with magnesium and with 30-micron aluminium)

The stuff at the top of the cleaned out, acid-washed coffee jar is the stuff that will be dried out first over chemical dessicants in a dessicator then final drying in a vacuum chamber  for chromatography rather than buying the silica, treated as needs be, will experiment until I get good plates, since TLC plates are expensive if bought.  Don't want to damage it thermally so will dry over a container full of NaOH/CaCl2 mixture in my dessicator then when I  can get no more H2O content out, its going in the vacuum chamber and being left for a few hours

The coarser grained stuff at the bottom, although still damn fine, is being used for refining the silica to silicon, in its elemental state. Here it is drying in the oven, ready to be mixed with a reactive metal like magnesium or aluminium powder, choosing aluminium as I can then test to determine whether shiny, metallic-looking solid lumps are indeed silicon or if they are fused Al powder melted to lumps by the heat of the metallothermic reduction process, which is intense, a carbon crucible is used for the final reduction because  metal ones would be unlikely to survive the blazing heat, which is greater than I can actually measure with any of my thermometers, analog or digital.

Roasty roasty:    

End product, dried and ready for use, it simply crumbles away to dust when squeezed between the fingertips:

Image taken at night of the reaction once started, between <~30 micron (500 mesh) aluminium dust and the finely powdered silica, photographed through an arc welding mask, with the lid on. The view shield is so dark that its very difficult to see even during the day, to see a damn thing through that mask. The temperatures reached during this reaction must have been hellish indeed.

And, finally, after the first small-scale test run, the removal of the slag manually under water after the carbon crucible cooled down and stopped (during which time it was placed outside) giving off the noxious rotting egg stench of the highly toxic hydrogen sulfide gas from the small depression made in the test-firing charge to which powdered sulfur was added to make a thermate, in order to have that ignite the thermIte, since sulfur addition to thermites lowers ignition temperature and produces what is known as thermate. Acid added outside to remove sulfides as H2S (caution, toxic, similar toxicity to hydrogen cyanide gas) and finally, product is washed, then the slag and crucible contents gouged and dumped out on a surface to pick through, likely textured and size, followed by exclusion of the possibility of being aluminium by soaking in concentrated NaOH which dissolves aluminium, replacing caustic solution one time when hydrogen evolution ceases (quite vigorous from unreacted fine Al)

This digestion process produced the end product: Raw, elemental silicon.

Spent most of the night doing this, going all the way from a silicate and some acid right through to using it as ore and smelting it down to silicon itself.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2017, 03:01:35 PM »
Isn't it that guy, Gormless or whatevers his face who we need to thank in the kneecaps for that gigantic rusting festering great heap of shite taking up taxpayer's money instead of it being used for, for example, treating paediatric patients in hospital, cancer  wards, or fund organ transplants  for those in need. Or food banks for those in desperate poverty.

Or, they might considering spending less on the really stupid things.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »
You blame the artist because someone spent tax payer dollars to buy his work?

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2017, 04:49:25 PM »
Pounds, its in the UK, unfortunately. And no, I blame the fuckers who squandered the money. Its useless, its ugly, and that money could have gone to good causes. SHOULD have gone to good causes. Another such instance, is at a local hospital there is a big stainless steel metal pyramidal spike. Modern 'art' in the hospital grounds, that probably cost a bomb. At a time when the NHS is chronically underfunded, and its the people  on the sharp end of the wedge who are getting squeezed, not the executive pricks who decide to blow the cash that could have been used to pay for things like nurses and doctor's salaries, advances in patient care...every time I walk past that thing I cannot help but feel disgusted and angry at the waste, when it is directly taking away from patient care. For a big metal spike.

Thats going to do nobody anything, unless it ever gets used to impale a few middlemen.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2017, 06:31:12 PM »
And no, I blame the fuckers who squandered the money.
Then to answer your question, no, not Gormley's kneecaps.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2017, 11:34:21 PM »
From where do you get your income, Lestat?

- Albert Einstein

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
From where do you get your income, Lestat?

I'm sure he works very hard  :M

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2017, 09:05:04 AM »
I shall pretend I didn't hear that question odeon.

And you may pretend you got an answer.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
I shall pretend I didn't hear that question odeon.

And you may pretend you got an answer.

Why?

It's an honest but also a rather uncomfortable question. Why should your chemistry experiments be subsidised if Gormley's art isn't?

- Albert Einstein