Author Topic: Would you read your child's diary?  (Read 605 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Would you read your child's diary?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »
All you have to do is check their blog, but its just a bunch of nonsense like shit that happened at school, or "Blah blah said I was blah blah but I told her she blah blah".

Not really relevant to anything I give a shit about.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Celticgoddess

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 11:54:59 AM »
From the moment my kids could open envelopes, I have not opened one that was addressed to them, apart from one by accident. And I apologised for it.
I've knocked on their doors since they were really little, first to announce I was entering, later to give them the chance to tell me that I was welcome. I do expect the same of them.

I know that there are families where every member of the family feels free to open all mail. I find it disgusting.

Would I read a diary of my girls, would I check what they do in chat? Not as long as there is no serious reason to do so.
<snip>

:agreed: Monkeyboy gives me his passwords to everything (his choice, I didn't ask) but I don't use them unless he asks me too. For instance, his email account has gotten too full (he subscribes to so many newsletters) that he asked me to go through them so it's not as overwhelming so I agreed. I never do it without his permission though.

I remember finding out my Mum read my journal when I was a teen and I was livid. I've always been a person who has to put things in writing to get them out of my head. Most are not intended for anyone else to read (unless  I'm blogging of course) it's just the way I process. I think part of the reason why I'm having so much trouble processing what's going on with the ex and all my emotions is that because I stopped putting it in writing in May for fear of being trolled or hacked (which he could easily do...he has the smarts/experience/access to do so).

I hate the idea of not having privacy. I give it to my children, and I expect it in return.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 04:22:53 AM »
No, I would never, ever, read a childs diary.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 04:35:10 AM »
I never made a diary to begin with, but my parents were fairly snoopy. My mother gave up recently since I'm away ahead of her in terms of securing my computer/accounts etc.

If I had kids, I can't be arsed knowing their business. More important things to do. I don't even check Emma's accounts, even when she accidentally left them logged on here. Go looking for trouble and you'll get it.

Celticgoddess

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 08:35:52 AM »
Go looking for trouble and you'll get it.

:agreed:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 08:42:28 AM »
In that case the trouble already exists

I agree though, I wouldn't go snooping in my girlfriend's stuff . I wouldn't mind her reading my emails or whatever though tbh. I'm not that bothered though about clingy girls, unless they're completely psychotic and kill anyone I talk to etc

Celticgoddess

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 08:49:26 AM »
Same thing goes for partners. I don't snoop.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 08:53:03 AM »
I snoop on here alll the time

I wouldn't ask for my gf's password though or anything like that. I gave milla my password for here but that was ages ago - pretty sure she doesn't come on here snooping in my emails :laugh: in fact she's probably completely forgotten

Binty

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 08:54:44 AM »
I like snooping :tinfoil:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 10:35:46 AM »
I'd never read my kids diary. I can imagine how it would feel, I don't want my parents to control me either. I think kids should have some privacy, their own world and own problems that parents don't have to know about.
Of course if I noticed some serious changes in behavior, I'd start to investigate and ask and stuff

That is probably what I would do too, though knowing me, I'd go too far the other way and be too self-absorbed to notice those changes.
Fortunately all this is moot, since I have no children and am not planning to have any.   :2thumbsup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline kaileen

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 12:59:49 PM »
I'd never read my kids diary. I can imagine how it would feel, I don't want my parents to control me either. I think kids should have some privacy, their own world and own problems that parents don't have to know about.
Of course if I noticed some serious changes in behavior, I'd start to investigate and ask and stuff

That is probably what I would do too, though knowing me, I'd go too far the other way and be too self-absorbed to notice those changes.
Fortunately all this is moot, since I have no children and am not planning to have any.   :2thumbsup:

yeah, same here :D
"Me divierto en arrancar del pecho mi mismo corazón...

un cadáver más qué importa al mundo?"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 01:17:26 PM »
I would want kids if I was more normal. But I would probably leave any important stuff like that to my gf/wife :P

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 01:55:04 PM »
I would want kids if I was more normal. But I would probably leave any important stuff like that to my gf/wife :P

Now don't be one of those "I'll put your mother on the phone"-type dads!  :zoinks:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"