Author Topic: I've signed up out of boredom; likely closing this account because of boredom 2  (Read 9950 times)

Osensitive1

Interesting people being disinteresting, that's the favorite part.

The_Chosen_One

who cares? the guy posts or he doesn't  :eyebrow:

Actually, you look at it from that point of view, it doesn't matter. There's probably another 50 or more members who haven't posted much either recently.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Freedom of speech issues are mainly concerned with consequence. This site has a lot of good input from members, even though some of the posts sound contradictory but then that happens as you start making assertions so that some of the thoughts which are expressed need to be facilitated by excusing, through a sort of explaining, such as playing down to similes, or defining specific reasoning as an exception to the rule.

I find some of the I2 processes tedious, such as when I click next to find I'm in another forum, or when I've posted and another page loads. While there is a roughly equal amount of traffic here to other forums, I'm not sure what this one is concerned with, which in contrast to other forums, has an apparent lack of direction. I generally sign up to forums where there is a subject matter, or shared interest, experiences, etc. If I can't work out a purpose for this site, then how the hell am I meant to be motivated here!? If there were a thread stating a summary which makes sense, I would have a better idea before I post. And seeing how I can like a subject and dislike a forum based on the members, I'm finding it interesting that I've joined a forum which apparently has no subject, which is a highlight for me; yet find the members okay, which keeps me interested in hanging out for a while longer, if only because this is the first time the reverse has been true, that a topic has been disinteresting, while the members are.

The previous and next buttons are for topics, so I don't really like them either.

What I use most of the time is the "Show unread posts since last visit" button near the top of the page.  The new page loading after you make a post was frustrating for me as well, but it can be changed in your profile under "Look and Layout Preferences" where it says "Return to topics after posting by default."  I'll change that for you and if I misunderstood what you meant, it can easily be changed back again.

You seem like an interesting person to me, so you could jump right in and start another interesting topic or you could even post in someone else's.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Slasher

• Frequent Poster
Sorry, I've had some things going on and haven't had much time to think about it. Thanks for adjusting the settings for me, Callaway. I didn't mean interesting people being disinteresting at all. I meant that a topic is usually what interests me and the people less so. Whereas, I2 is proving that the opposite might be possible to achieve. Why is there no topic and yet I'm engaging in conversation? It could be that I've looked into my continued discussion and attributed more interest than I have, or that I'm not attributing enough to those topics that have been covered (albeit light heartedly). Maybe the most interesting thing here is that I don't know what the topic is and it's really my interest in discovering what it is that keeps me entertained. At any rate, I'm not sure what the range of discussions are here. I mean shouldn't any decent discussion have some focus? Where would the point be in merely sharing opinion without scrutiny of a logical nature? There must be a dividing line between opinion and fact (or what is considered fact) otherwise there is nothing but an impractical null argument (opinion based). When it comes to moving on, or becoming involved; it's important to me to establish where I'm going, or what I'm motivated toward, or what purpose, etc can be met, or achievement be obtained. I'm still lost as to that. But in a way that could make for progress in working with ambiguity. But judging by some responses I've received, I seem to have plenty of that going on. Or maybe that's the result of having a lack in handling ambiguity and being less able to define my position in concrete terms. I think the free expression of this site might be a nice break because social rules could probably do with more "breaking", and it seems that members here are able to express themselves more openly here than most places to the benefit of venting like anyone does and where having a generally limited capacity toward expression in this communities population would allow a greater amount of healthy venting which might otherwise be hampered by the inherent issues of communication and said social rules. But that mightn't necessitate the action being positive since having developed such a habit on I2 could lead to unfavorable situations where such behaviour isn't tollerated. Then again, having developed bad habits might deter those who wouldn't tollerate such from reprimanding an individual acculturated with I2, or in the case that reprimanding the individual concerned were to come about, that individual might harbour a generally more aggressive attitude to happily sustain that. But to what disagreement which would ensue? One of opinion, or something logical, based on fact and since when is a logical argument concerned with emotion? It wouldn't be in the spirit of arriving at the truth, if it were.

P7PSP

In my line of work (Union Electrician) we are free within reason to tell others to fuck off from time to time because we switch jobs frequently any way. Over a lot of years I have worked hard to get along better with others. When I began posting on the internet not quite 3 years ago a lot of that practiced discipline went out the window and that is why for the last 2 weeks or so I have tried to avoid more pissing contests.
 While this site does have some fairly smart members I come here more for general chit chat than engaging in high school debate or scholarly pursuit. IMO this is a fun place for the most part, but not a place to form a worldview or get serious about anything, in my capacity as a Union member and NRA members council member I get enough serious shit to not want to bring that attitude here. Of course you are free to use this site differently than I do.

Frolic_Fun

Sorry, I've had some things going on and haven't had much time to think about it. Thanks for adjusting the settings for me, Callaway. I didn't mean interesting people being disinteresting at all. I meant that a topic is usually what interests me and the people less so. Whereas, I2 is proving that the opposite might be possible to achieve. Why is there no topic and yet I'm engaging in conversation? It could be that I've looked into my continued discussion and attributed more interest than I have, or that I'm not attributing enough to those topics that have been covered (albeit light heartedly). Maybe the most interesting thing here is that I don't know what the topic is and it's really my interest in discovering what it is that keeps me entertained. At any rate, I'm not sure what the range of discussions are here. I mean shouldn't any decent discussion have some focus? Where would the point be in merely sharing opinion without scrutiny of a logical nature? There must be a dividing line between opinion and fact (or what is considered fact) otherwise there is nothing but an impractical null argument (opinion based). When it comes to moving on, or becoming involved; it's important to me to establish where I'm going, or what I'm motivated toward, or what purpose, etc can be met, or achievement be obtained. I'm still lost as to that. But in a way that could make for progress in working with ambiguity. But judging by some responses I've received, I seem to have plenty of that going on. Or maybe that's the result of having a lack in handling ambiguity and being less able to define my position in concrete terms. I think the free expression of this site might be a nice break because social rules could probably do with more "breaking", and it seems that members here are able to express themselves more openly here than most places to the benefit of venting like anyone does and where having a generally limited capacity toward expression in this communities population would allow a greater amount of healthy venting which might otherwise be hampered by the inherent issues of communication and said social rules. But that mightn't necessitate the action being positive since having developed such a habit on I2 could lead to unfavorable situations where such behaviour isn't tollerated. Then again, having developed bad habits might deter those who wouldn't tollerate such from reprimanding an individual acculturated with I2, or in the case that reprimanding the individual concerned were to come about, that individual might harbour a generally more aggressive attitude to happily sustain that. But to what disagreement which would ensue? One of opinion, or something logical, based on fact and since when is a logical argument concerned with emotion? It wouldn't be in the spirit of arriving at the truth, if it were.

Stop over-analyzing it and post. Look at the big picture, not the details etc.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
TL;DR
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
I tried to read it but my ADHD took over. I need paragraphs.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Osensitive1

I didn't mean interesting people being disinteresting at all.
That was just a joke. Sometimes my jokes are only funny to me. No worries. Didn't mean to appear to be putting words in your mouth.

Offline Slasher

• Frequent Poster
Okay.

The_Chosen_One

I was bad for writing one long paragraph when I was on WP and when I first started here. I found it was easier for people to read shorter paragraphs of only a few sentences, because they have less to focus on. In other words, novels on a forum are a waste; stick to the Readers' Digest version.

Offline Slasher

• Frequent Poster
Short and sweet, gotcha.