Author Topic: Useless Personal Trivia  (Read 51840 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Useless Personal Trivia
« Reply #720 on: January 10, 2011, 06:23:43 PM »

That looks like a red back spider not a black widow spider. I could be wrong though.

For useless personal trivia: it is easier to use the cross-trainer for longer when I have music playing. Otherwise I get bored really quickly.

That's a black widow spider in the US.  We were taught to look for the red hourglass shape on the underside of the abdomen to recognize her when we were kids.

Are your red backed spiders poisonous and do they eat their mates too?  They must be related.

I've always wondered how I'm supposed to look on her underside.  Pick her up so I can tell the doctor when I go to the Emergency Room?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #721 on: January 10, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »
I saw one before and the red hourglass on her underside was very obvious even though I never picked her up.  She was trying to hide in the inside of a wheel of my nephew's toy truck which my 18 month old cousin wanted to play with.  Because the truck was outside and covered with dirt and sand, I decided to clean it before letting the baby play with it and when I saw the black widow spider, I was very glad that I made that decision.  Can you imagine what might have happened to the baby if she had been bitten by a black widow spider? 

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #722 on: January 10, 2011, 06:42:05 PM »
I doin't like spiders :emosad:  :ghey:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #723 on: January 10, 2011, 06:42:42 PM »
I saw one before and the red hourglass on her underside was very obvious even though I never picked her up.  She was trying to hide in the inside of a wheel of my nephew's toy truck which my 18 month old cousin wanted to play with.  Because the truck was outside and covered with dirt and sand, I decided to clean it before letting the baby play with it and when I saw the black widow spider, I was very glad that I made that decision.  Can you imagine what might have happened to the baby if she had been bitten by a black widow spider? 

Thank heavens you are conscientious and cautious.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #724 on: January 10, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »
I doin't like spiders :emosad:  :ghey:

Neither does Ron Weasley.

eris

« Reply #725 on: January 10, 2011, 07:29:31 PM »
im listening to morrissey, and it's so cold in my room my teeth are chattering, and I don't have any contacts left so im wearing my glasses , and I like this smiley  :M

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #726 on: January 10, 2011, 07:43:58 PM »

As a sort of obsessive spider aficionado, quite phobiaic of them, still  (still!!), I can tell you that they move differently from many types of spiders and the sounds their legs make are quite different. They are NOT aggressive at all. They prefer to remain hidden. The shape of their cephalothorax is also unique, along with the layout of their eyes, as is with the shape of their abdomen. You would never mistake one for anything else, once you have seen one, well before you enjoy their red markings.

To be sincere, though, there are many more arachnids with far more lethal poisons afang than the lowly black widow.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:45:37 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #727 on: January 10, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »

As a sort of obsessive spider aficionado, quite phobiaic of them, still  (still!!), I can tell you that they move differently from many types of spiders and the sounds their legs make are quite different. They are NOT aggressive at all. They prefer to remain hidden. The shape of their cephalothorax is also unique, along with the layout of their eyes, as is with the shape of their abdomen. You would never mistake one for anything else, once you have seen one, well before you enjoy their red markings.

To be sincere, though, there are many more arachnids with far more lethal poisons afang than the lowly black widow.

She wasn't aggressive at all and she tried to hide in the wheel.  I kind of felt mean when I shook her out and crushed her so aggressively into the ground that you couldn't even see that there had been a spider there, but my instinct to protect my little cousin was much stronger than my pity for the spider.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #728 on: January 10, 2011, 08:19:48 PM »

You can hear spiders' legs moving? Thank god my hearing is nowhere near that acute.   :hide:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #729 on: January 10, 2011, 08:22:32 PM »

She wasn't aggressive at all and she tried to hide in the wheel.  I kind of felt mean when I shook her out and crushed her so aggressively into the ground that you couldn't even see that there had been a spider there, but my instinct to protect my little cousin was much stronger than my pity for the spider.

Of course, and, WELL done!

I can not even remember the number of the ones I have turned into drying paste.

I have no love for them, just an obsessive something.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #730 on: January 10, 2011, 08:26:10 PM »

An online friend of mine is very creeped out by spiders, especially by what he calls their
"frenetic micro-movements." I agree with him, the way they move is icky.   :aff:

People forget.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #731 on: January 10, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »

You can hear spiders' legs moving? Thank god my hearing is nowhere near that acute.   :hide:

Yes.

... and wasps' legs and most beetles' legs, but I thought everyone could hear all that when I was younger.

Sometime after turning mid twenty or so, I began to realize that I was a psycho with nothing but psycho shit to think about.

:asthing:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #732 on: January 10, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »
I saw one before and the red hourglass on her underside was very obvious even though I never picked her up.  She was trying to hide in the inside of a wheel of my nephew's toy truck which my 18 month old cousin wanted to play with.  Because the truck was outside and covered with dirt and sand, I decided to clean it before letting the baby play with it and when I saw the black widow spider, I was very glad that I made that decision.  Can you imagine what might have happened to the baby if she had been bitten by a black widow spider?  

As a sort of obsessive spider aficionado, quite phobiaic of them, still  (still!!), I can tell you that they move differently from many types of spiders and the sounds their legs make are quite different. They are NOT aggressive at all. They prefer to remain hidden. The shape of their cephalothorax is also unique, along with the layout of their eyes, as is with the shape of their abdomen. You would never mistake one for anything else, once you have seen one, well before you enjoy their red markings.

She wasn't aggressive at all and she tried to hide in the wheel.  I kind of felt mean when I shook her out and crushed her so aggressively into the ground that you couldn't even see that there had been a spider there, but my instinct to protect my little cousin was much stronger than my pity for the spider.

An online friend of mine is very creeped out by spiders, especially by what he calls their
"frenetic micro-movements." I agree with him, the way they move is icky.   :aff:

They all seem to have their own movements, though.  

While too many legs is always going to be creepy, at least we can take solace in the fact that there are no flying spiders.

Have you ever studied trapdoor spiders, though. I have seen many hunting spiders - not just web spinners; I am talking about hunters - which ambush their prey by clamoring into the air and pulling them down, paralyzing them with their bite, but a trapdoor spider is the most aggressive I have ever seen.  They set a trap and sit in wait, then when prey is near they have a "web/net"  set in their "trapdoor" which they can quickly close around their prey. Very aggressive!

... and they are extremely creepy looking. Again, completely unique!

If you can not hear them, then maybe you should have your ears checked.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:39:42 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #733 on: January 10, 2011, 08:44:06 PM »
 :plus:   for the photo. Oddly enough, I don't find that spider as creepy as I find black widows.
I find its chunky legs oddly endearing compared to the spindly legs of the black widow.   

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #734 on: January 10, 2011, 08:46:45 PM »
As for my hearing, I know it's not great (too many years of listening to loud music on  :headphones: ),
but I don't know whether I can hear a trapdoor spider's legs because I've never encountered one in person.

People forget.