Educational

Author Topic: Useless Personal Trivia  (Read 51835 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Useless Personal Trivia
« Reply #465 on: December 03, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »
I was born with my right leg turned slightly inward because of a tight hip muscle (something to do with my position in the womb).
The muscle was gradually stretched out to proper length with cloth braces. I don't remember this at all. I was just a baby at the time.    :nerdy:

I was born with white eyes.

Um, you mean really really really really pale blue, right?    :hide:

Nope. The color part was just slightly darker than the whites of my eyes. They changed to blue, then brown, then hazel, then green as I grew up.

That's very odd! Has anyone else in your family had such eyes?   :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #466 on: December 04, 2010, 12:09:21 PM »
I wear out my left shoes a lot faster than my right shoes

How do you walk? Do you lean more on your left leg due to some injury to the right leg or foot?   :nerd!:

Had problems since I was born with walking had special shoes till about five.  I drag my left foot more and it turns in a lot.  They tell me I would have had many more problems but they were corrected though special shoes when young
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #467 on: December 04, 2010, 04:28:33 PM »
I have one of those cheap Eiffel Tower models on top of a CD shelf, right behind my monitor. Only the top of the tower is visible when I type which is kind of cool.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #468 on: December 04, 2010, 05:15:13 PM »
I have really weird collections of random shit.

I have bronze recreations of famous sculpture works. I have rocks with fossils in them. I have extinct currency from around the globe. I have books from the late 1800s that are "in my view,"  deliberately offensive. I have lamps that burn oil. I have about forty percolator pots with which to make coffee. I have probably fifty metal spatulas. I have seven oscilloscopes. I have about fifty cameras. I have about thirty flash systems to use for photography. I have about sixty small horn drivers (but I am tragically challenged by only owning about twenty decent horns). I have about a hundred fifteen inch drivers to make bass with, but only about twelve working enclosures. I have about five hundred arrow heads I have found on my own, but not spearheads, ever. I have so many old silver coins that I can not even count or even remember where they all are located without referring to a manifest. I have too many guns. have too many knives. I have too many books I have never even attempted to publish. I have too many songs that no one has ever heard but my family. I have too many running shoes that I never use. I have almost a million saved fractal images and I have only shared a few hundred.  I have over twelve terabytes of music, half of which no one but a few left living have ever heard. I own almost every song I have ever heard that I can remember liking, even a little bit.

SHIT!  Almost forgot, I have about seventy musical instruments. (My dad had a music store and I kept some cool things we came upon)

I collect. I have lived long and I have lived a great life. My face is heavily wrinkled with the results of smiling too much.

Not even really sure if I can make my face frown, without becoming another character. I have done characters that were insidiously angry in theater, but it was a stretch. (for some reason, i never kept anything from my acting days. I am wrong to have done this. I should have kept a few things from my community stage career. I can think of ONE hat and one cape for sure that I should have kept and guarded jealously for all time)

NOW, I admit before you bunch - I keep things.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:17:07 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #469 on: December 04, 2010, 05:28:10 PM »
Some very cool stuff. I'd like to listen to your decent horns and one of the better horn drivers. Those are very rare.

Altec made a horn and a driver for cinemas that was fabulous (can't remember the # atm) but of course would only sound decent in combination with the right filter and really bad with another. There was never anything linear with the setup but the sound was just exquisite. When looked at with an RTA, the curve would always appear spiky and plain wrong (and get the ridicule of a lesser sound tech) but with the right processor and amp, it would nevertheless produce amazingly good sound, especially with magnetic tracks on 70mm film.

With the advent of digital sound, that sort of experience is gone but still remembered by some of us. The sound was alive in a way that never is the case now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #470 on: December 04, 2010, 05:46:29 PM »
Some very cool stuff. I'd like to listen to your decent horns and one of the better horn drivers. Those are very rare.

Altec made a horn and a driver for cinemas that was fabulous (can't remember the # atm) but of course would only sound decent in combination with the right filter and really bad with another. There was never anything linear with the setup but the sound was just exquisite. When looked at with an RTA, the curve would always appear spiky and plain wrong (and get the ridicule of a lesser sound tech) but with the right processor and amp, it would nevertheless produce amazingly good sound, especially with magnetic tracks on 70mm film.

With the advent of digital sound, that sort of experience is gone but still remembered by some of us. The sound was alive in a way that never is the case now.

Understand, as I know you do that there is a wide differential between perfect specifications and engaging musicality of any reproducing system.

You do know why I mostly use exceedingly efficient speaker systems managed by fairly low powered (but magnificently dynamic) tube amplification, right? It is simply as close to the real thing (which people like me who have spent so many years in live music and have come to know a great deal about how music is intended to sound) that is available in this day and time.  YES, we can create almost visual effects with our electronics, but getting back to the simplest of reproduction is so high tech when done well, it is almost the same as magic. One must experience minimalism to understand the magic it can create - right in YOUR face - breath taking! indeed.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #471 on: December 04, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »
I have hyperextensibility of the metacarpaphalangeal, knee, hip and elbow joints.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #472 on: December 05, 2010, 04:03:18 AM »

Understand, as I know you do that there is a wide differential between perfect specifications and engaging musicality of any reproducing system.

You do know why I mostly use exceedingly efficient speaker systems managed by fairly low powered (but magnificently dynamic) tube amplification, right? It is simply as close to the real thing (which people like me who have spent so many years in live music and have come to know a great deal about how music is intended to sound) that is available in this day and time.  YES, we can create almost visual effects with our electronics, but getting back to the simplest of reproduction is so high tech when done well, it is almost the same as magic. One must experience minimalism to understand the magic it can create - right in YOUR face - breath taking! indeed.

That Altec driver was an extremely simple construction and very, very efficient. I think it was first designed when many cinemas still had tube amps. The construction was more about art than science, but I can't claim to be an expert on any of it. I just know the difference in subjective listening.

And yes, the amps were all low-powered. They probably produced less power than your average thirteen-in-a-dozen home cinema amps do now. But they were extremely efficient.

- Albert Einstein

richard

« Reply #473 on: December 05, 2010, 02:45:40 PM »
my house is always a mess. not even a superhero could keep it clean!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #474 on: December 05, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »

Maybe you just haven't found the right superhero yet!    :captainobvious:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Scrapheap

« Reply #475 on: December 05, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »

Snort a bunch of coke. Your house will be clean in 4 hours or less!!!  :laugh:

richard

« Reply #476 on: December 05, 2010, 02:52:43 PM »
haha. true, true. but where would i get the cocaine? i dont think there's any dealers in my neck of the woods

maybe i could make some!  >:D

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #477 on: December 06, 2010, 08:56:10 AM »
I took Belly Dancing lessons in my 20's.  IMHO, I wasn't that bad either.  Thanks Hyke for the memory.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #478 on: December 06, 2010, 09:21:30 AM »
I have Grateful Dead stickers on my truck and trailer
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw