Educational

Author Topic: Disability Payment  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Loupgarou

• Tormented Werewolf of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
Disability Payment
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:57:40 PM »
I have no idea if this is the right forum, but I was just wondering how many of you CANNOT work? I have been on disability for about 2 years now after having to leave my last job of 4 years, due to completely losing the plot and physical health issues.

I was REALLY pissed that I had to leave my job. I worked in Pathology of a major hospital. Loved my job, hated some of the people. I pushed and pushed to keep working, but just couldn't cut it. Mind you, I was doing my science degree while working full time and raising a child. No wonder I went completely nuts.

Just interested to hear how you cope and live.

Loup
"Long-winded speech is exhausting. Better to stay centered". - Lao Tzu

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Disability Payment
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:17:38 PM »
I don't know if you could call it working. I renovate old derelect property and rent them out. No stress,or having to interact with other people. I don't know how well I would cope with doing a proper job. I'm lazy, badly motivated, and have a big problem with taking orders from people. I think I'd struggle to hold down a proper job for any length of time. I don't know if that's an aspie problem or an attitude problem, I just know I'd suck at it.

richard

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 03:31:21 PM »
ive been on disability for the last 4 going on 5 years. to be truthfull i wanna go back to work but i just dont even know where to get started! i know i wont be going back to VR because those faggots really are worthless. the government really must not be that intrested in getting me back to work so im gonna stay on disability for as long as i can. i do struggle finachially though and in no way do i live a comfortable life style. food is the thing that really kills me every month! its so goddamn expencive. the cost of living is also high in my towns and my rent is outrageous it does include all of my utilities and basic cable though

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:39:49 PM »
I don't know if you could call it working. I renovate old derelect property and rent them out. No stress,or having to interact with other people. I don't know how well I would cope with doing a proper job. I'm lazy, badly motivated, and have a big problem with taking orders from people. I think I'd struggle to hold down a proper job for any length of time. I don't know if that's an aspie problem or an attitude problem, I just know I'd suck at it.

Sounds AWESOME Butterflies! How did you get that gig? Is it really phyisical work?

I doubt it is about attitude problem. You sound like a very hard worker. I can only speak for myself, but I have always had a good work ethic, I just burn out so easily. must hibernate. This hibernation is the longest I have ever had. Time they are a'changing.

Take care of you,

Loup

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 03:50:15 PM »
ive been on disability for the last 4 going on 5 years. to be truthfull i wanna go back to work but i just dont even know where to get started! i know i wont be going back to VR because those faggots really are worthless. the government really must not be that intrested in getting me back to work so im gonna stay on disability for as long as i can. i do struggle finachially though and in no way do i live a comfortable life style. food is the thing that really kills me every month! its so goddamn expencive. the cost of living is also high in my towns and my rent is outrageous it does include all of my utilities and basic cable though

I hear you, it is difficult, especially to eat well. I mean, they want you to get better, so you can go back to work but don't provide the means to make it happen. For example, I spend at least $200 a month on supplements and medication for my various health issues. Therapy costs me $200 a session. My various health professionals cost squillions even thought hey are worth it. Best docs I have ever had. So I go to Centrelink and say, "I got all this stuff to pay for. I am so grateful that you have helped me thus far, but are there any other services you can offer me?" and we got to fill out tons of forms and see my doc, which can't afford at the mo. I HATE whinging, but I am between a rock and a hard place, and I HATE feeling trapped.

Take care, Mr Antarctica

Loup

richard

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 03:56:38 PM »
Take care, Mr Antarctica

Loup
oh i always do, you do the same. and i know exaclty how you feel about being trapped between a rock and a hard place

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »

Sounds AWESOME Butterflies! How did you get that gig? Is it really phyisical work?

I doubt it is about attitude problem. You sound like a very hard worker. I can only speak for myself, but I have always had a good work ethic, I just burn out so easily. must hibernate. This hibernation is the longest I have ever had. Time they are a'changing.

Take care of you,

Loup

My cousin, and aunt and uncle bought most of them for me, but I've saved up and bought the last couple by myself.
Some of it can be quite physical. Putting up ceilings, and putting in kitchens is very hard work, but a lot of other things like painting, tiling, plastering, and laying flooring aren't really all that tiring. I'd say that the most time consuming jobs are probably the least tiring like painting, and the really hard jobs only take a few days to complete.
I wouldn't say I'm a hard worker at all. At most I maybe spend a couple of months a year working. I don't mind working hard for that small time, because it's for myself and I really enjoy the work, but I don't know that I could work 5 days a week at something I didn't love doing, and taking orders off of somebody I maybe don't respect.
I know what you mean about hibernating, after I finish with one place it's many months before I feel like starting on another. I don't know when, or even if I'll ever get round to doing another one.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 04:22:53 PM »
I've been on diasability since '83, and in that time held down a job in the public service (my disability pension was for Legal Blindness). I was able to save up enough to own 2 houses, and be comfortable, but 12 years ago I had to take a redundancy. Don't miss work, as I say I'm retired, and it allows me to do what I want. I lived at home til I was 37, then moved to the bush and have been on my own since. I travel interstate every year and spend about 3-4 months away from home (I doubt Centrelink could do anything, cos I'm not permanently away from my usual address), and I'm able to get public transport free and taxis for half. Also, dentists are cheap cos I'm on a care plan, and my medicines are cheap as well.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »
I'm a student that also gets disability. Getting 196 a week for just sitting on my arse is aright but I wouldn't mind getting a proper job, however my past job experiences were a bit shit and I've had major difficulties even passing a basic job interview. Because of said difficulties at interviews, no matter how much I actively looked for work, I still got nowhere - a bit of social problems and you're instantly fucked. They're looking for confident people who can talk shit, traits I simply don't have unless I practised extensively. However I've had luck as of late, doing photography for other people and putting photos in exhibitions. I've also got a good reference from doing work experience at a local newspaper, even offering an open part time job placement for editing their video footage for their website.

Past jobs:

- Used to work at a petrol station. Got sacked because I did a mixup with the petrol/diesel with one person's car, ruining their engine. They were too "polite" to say I was sacked though, cunts.
- Worked at a music shop, general maintenance and managed the keyboard section. Got "politely" sacked once again over being lazy, but when you have very few people coming in and a boss who's a complete gobshite then you can see why I went lazy.
- Worked at a local posh hotel as a cleaner, although I ended up mostly cleaning up vomit and emptying bottles into skips. Was put into a group of 2 other guys who were fucking lazy dickheads that never came in, making me do the extra work. Got lazy myself but no one noticed, until I decided to leave on my own accord.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 04:41:51 PM by Mr Shledge »

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 04:40:07 PM »
I've been on diasability since '83, and in that time held down a job in the public service (my disability pension was for Legal Blindness). I was able to save up enough to own 2 houses, and be comfortable, but 12 years ago I had to take a redundancy. Don't miss work, as I say I'm retired, and it allows me to do what I want. I lived at home til I was 37, then moved to the bush and have been on my own since. I travel interstate every year and spend about 3-4 months away from home (I doubt Centrelink could do anything, cos I'm not permanently away from my usual address), and I'm able to get public transport free and taxis for half. Also, dentists are cheap cos I'm on a care plan, and my medicines are cheap as well.

Steve-O, sounds like you got a decent plan there and boy, you are a good saver of money. Are you more content that you are doing your own thing? Did you find work stressful? Love to live in the bush.....but do you get lonely?

Loup

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »

Steve-O, sounds like you got a decent plan there and boy, you are a good saver of money. Are you more content that you are doing your own thing? Did you find work stressful? Love to live in the bush.....but do you get lonely?

Loup

Yes, no and no. With doing my own thing I can go anywhere I want, and when I go interstate I get my neighbours to watch my house and my family pay my bills (I pay 'em back). For the most part work didn't stress me, but near the end managemnet were trying to push our section out, and made it hard to stay. Given they were trying to close the central Melbourne section I was in, and force us out to the suburban offices (which was twice the travelling time) meant the redundancy was the only real option. Again, living on my own means I can do my own thing, but I have at least one friend in the area I can talk to, and my fiance visits me once a year, and that's where I go to when I go interstate.

You mentioned you are on the east coast - somewhere in QLD, I guess.

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »

Loup

Yes, no and no. With doing my own thing I can go anywhere I want, and when I go interstate I get my neighbours to watch my house and my family pay my bills (I pay 'em back). For the most part work didn't stress me, but near the end managemnet were trying to push our section out, and made it hard to stay. Given they were trying to close the central Melbourne section I was in, and force us out to the suburban offices (which was twice the travelling time) meant the redundancy was the only real option. Again, living on my own means I can do my own thing, but I have at least one friend in the area I can talk to, and my fiance visits me once a year, and that's where I go to when I go interstate.

You mentioned you are on the east coast - somewhere in QLD, I guess.

Like with most things, there is good parts and not so good parts. I am glad that you get to go interstate to see your fiance and other people. Timing is everything, is it not? I hated leaving my job and I was very bitter about it for a while, but when I look back, the timing was perfect. It meant that I could get the help I so badly needed and I was properly diagnosed with AS when I turned 36. It certainly explained a lot of things.

Yep, I am in QLD. Brisbane to be precise.

Loup

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 06:11:53 PM »
Been to Brisbane a couple of times, nice city. I'm staying in Townsville at the moment. Hot, but nice.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 07:28:52 PM »
I've been on disability before and I only had five jobs. The first one was working at the folkshop and in the high school library. I didn't get very much and then my third job was working at a hotel collecting dirty linen and then folding linen and washing them. Then my 4th job was working at another hotel as a houseperson and then I worked daytime collecting dirty linen and newspapers and magazines and dirty cups and getting the trash. Now my 5th job is janitor stuff.

I have never hated any if my jobs but wanted more hours when I worked at the folkshop and I hated getting massive complaints from quests when I worked at my third job. They complained about my "rude" behavior and they expected me to be a mind reader and stuff because they wouldn't communicate with me. My mom just said I don't have a sign on me saying I have AS and can't tell personal space so you need to tell me. That's when she taught me about it and told me to stand at least an arm length away from everyone but that doesn't apply to a crowded elevator or bus or train.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 07:46:33 PM »
My mom just said I don't have a sign on me saying I have AS and can't tell personal space so you need to tell me. That's when she taught me about it and told me to stand at least an arm length away from everyone but that doesn't apply to a crowded elevator or bus or train.

I have the opposite problem. My personal space seems to be much larger than most other peoples. I get slightly uncomfortable if anyone comes into my personal space. And that seems to be about 2 arms lengths. I never stand close to people if I can help it. If someone tries to come any closer to me, I usually try and take a step backwards and folk often think I'm being rude.