Author Topic: Scientology  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
Re: Scientology
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 12:37:27 PM »
I am related by marriage to two Scientologists.

You may all feel pity for me now.
:grouphug:

Thanks.

What makes it worse is that my Father-in-law is the Scientology in charge of dealing with Anonymous in Australia.  :duh:

LOLWUT? Seriously? Well shit, sure your internets isn't bugged or anything? lol

Haha I have no idea what the guy tells them about me in his audits, if anything.

The funny thing is, me and my wife are convinced he is an undiagnosed aspie.

Offline Loupgarou

• Tormented Werewolf of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 03:26:31 PM »
Phlexor, I meant no disrespect to your family. I am sorry if it came across like that........how do you get along with them?, Your relatives, I mean.

I get to have a good venting when the Jehovahs Witness come to my door. I don't mind them, but when they show up with their kids, I feel sorry for those children.

And Tom Cruise has Aspergers? Wouldn't be recognised in Scientology. They would say that he has a "personality deficit" and scientology it right out of him. Maybe that is where we are all going wrong. There is no cure, there is "personality adjustment" via a machine that measures electronic pulses from the brain.

Sheesh.

Loup

"Long-winded speech is exhausting. Better to stay centered". - Lao Tzu

richard

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 03:45:44 PM »
any form of religion is ment to enslave the mind!!

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 03:52:04 PM »
Phlexor, I meant no disrespect to your family. I am sorry if it came across like that........how do you get along with them?, Your relatives, I mean.

I get to have a good venting when the Jehovahs Witness come to my door. I don't mind them, but when they show up with their kids, I feel sorry for those children.

And Tom Cruise has Aspergers? Wouldn't be recognised in Scientology. They would say that he has a "personality deficit" and scientology it right out of him. Maybe that is where we are all going wrong. There is no cure, there is "personality adjustment" via a machine that measures electronic pulses from the brain.

Sheesh.

Loup

That's okay, I can't stand Scientology. I'm not sure how aware they are to the extent that I hate it though.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »

I disagree.

All forms of thinking, religious or not, can be used to enslave the mind. But not all thoughts, religious or not, are meant to do that.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

P7PSP

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
I find Tom Cruise's antics entertaining. I can't be hypnotized (no one has ever tried, but I can't) and I won't be co opted into any thought control program, so I don't think about Scientology much at all.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 07:54:37 PM »
I can't be hypnotized (no one has ever tried, but I can't)

How do you know?

P7PSP

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »

How do you know?
I will absolutely not allow anyone to try any such thing on me.

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 08:36:15 PM »

How do you know?
I will absolutely not allow anyone to try any such thing on me.

I agree. Hypnotism by another person scares the absolute CRAP outta me. No-one is EVER getting that close to my mind where they can alter it. Been on enough mind altering drugs in my life without adding hypnotism to the mix.

Loup.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 09:16:40 PM »
You can't hypnotise someone who won't allow it.

The reason Cruise gets away with being a Scientologist AND having Aspergers is that while his routines are so so obvious, his training as an actor allow him to disguise it. It wouldn't be that hard to fool that lot, given that alot of other cults have been fooled by far lesser examples.

Stan's example in that South Park ep proves the point. He registered high on their meter, because they were fucked to begin with. Then he let them believe he was their new 'messiah'. Then when he got sick of playing them, he told them what a bunch of shite it was. They threatened to sue him, and he said 'yeah, go ahead!'

See, the really funny thing is that those wankers have deified a science fiction writer who wasn't all that great to begin with. Shit, Arthur C Clarke and Terry Pratchett would have more credibility as writers than Hubbard.

And look at where the spiritual home of Scientology is..... fucking Hollywood. Doesn't that tell you something?

Osensitive1

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 09:32:03 PM »
Seems it would take a lot of trust to allow hypnotism.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 09:55:54 PM »
Seems it would take a lot of trust to allow hypnotism.

Yes, and a mind that was open to it.

I was speaking to someone just then about Scientology, and his view was that While the actual organization left a lot to be desired, there were things in it that were more akin to a sort of psychology. He mentioned something where they would get you to read something, and if you got to a word you didn't understand (can't remember the actual term) then the rest of what you were reading didn't make sense and you would lose interest. Then when you looked that word up that you had trouble with, everything would become clear until you had trouble with something else. Buddhism had something similar. Now with Hubbard, it was more the fact he put out a huge quantity, rather than the quality of his work. And that's where the organization has sort of fucked itself, because they are more akin to being an Amway distributo than a real group that offers enlightenment. Also why the glitterati feel at home with their counselling, because it's more one on one and Hollywood is the perfect place for it. I still think there is alot to be skeptical about it, but if it had've been done properly then who knows?

But then again, Jesus was Jewish and I bet he didn't want a Western religion deifying him and making him out to be more than he wanted.

richard

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 10:23:09 PM »
I disagree.

All forms of thinking, religious or not, can be used to enslave the mind. But not all thoughts, religious or not, are meant to do that.
could you explain?

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 03:57:29 PM »
I disagree.

could you explain?

In history, you can see religion being used to keep people submissive. But, the revolutionary liberating movements very often were inspired by religion too. Just interpreting the texts in another way.  And that is something you can see happening time and time again.
Not only in movements and societies. Also in individuals you can see religion working in both ways. People can get abused with the use of quotes of religious texts, and later, when they start reading those texts for themselves, some stand up, and liberate themselves from their abuser, based on the same religious texts. But, with a different interpretation.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »
I disagree.

could you explain?

In history, you can see religion being used to keep people submissive. But, the revolutionary liberating movements very often were inspired by religion too. Just interpreting the texts in another way.  And that is something you can see happening time and time again.
Not only in movements and societies. Also in individuals you can see religion working in both ways. People can get abused with the use of quotes of religious texts, and later, when they start reading those texts for themselves, some stand up, and liberate themselves from their abuser, based on the same religious texts. But, with a different interpretation.

Yep, I hear that.

Loup