Educational

Author Topic: California Water Wars  (Read 492 times)

Scrapheap

California Water Wars
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:44:14 PM »
So what is your opinion on the California Water Wars??

Did the diversion of all the rivers that fed Owens Valley kill the valley?, or did it prevent Owens Valley into becoming L.A. itsself??

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: California Water Wars
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »
It sound typical of the corruption in government with all that inside information going around. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

richard

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 10:45:34 AM »
im not that familair with it, but is this about that minow the enviromentalist, want to protect?
if it is, i think its hurt the ownes valley. those poor farmers, and there familys have to make a living and it seems rediculose to do that to people over a fucking fish

Scrapheap

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 11:05:07 AM »
im not that familair with it, but is this about that minow the enviromentalist, want to protect?
if it is, i think its hurt the ownes valley. those poor farmers, and there familys have to make a living and it seems rediculose to do that to people over a fucking fish

No, it wasn't over a fish, it was over L.A. stealing all of the water out of Owens Valley. They almost killed Mono Lake, which is a major stop off for millions of migratory birds, and they drained Owens Lake, which took water away from farmers. It got so bad in the late 80's and early 90's, that people were getting sick from all the dust storms. They sued L.A. , and in 1994, they won a major lawsuit. L.A. had to pay millions of dollars, and they had to cut back their water intake.

richard

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 11:19:45 AM »
i see. well water is gonna be a major concern for practicly everyone, i saw a documentery of how michigan passed a bunch of laws making it illegal for anyone to steal the great lakes water

i wanna live in michigan. mostely because of the very snowey winters they have there
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:22:42 AM by northern michigan »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 11:04:51 PM »

No, it wasn't over a fish, it was over L.A. stealing all of the water out of Owens Valley. They almost killed Mono Lake, which is a major stop off for millions of migratory birds, and they drained Owens Lake, which took water away from farmers. It got so bad in the late 80's and early 90's, that people were getting sick from all the dust storms. They sued L.A. , and in 1994, they won a major lawsuit. L.A. had to pay millions of dollars, and they had to cut back their water intake.

LA and the rest of Southern California have their big thirsty straw in the Colorado River as well.

They habitually take more than their fair share.

P7PSP

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 03:13:14 PM »

LA and the rest of Southern California have their big thirsty straw in the Colorado River as well.

They habitually take more than their fair share.
And Southern Californians incorrectly refer to highways as "The" 8, "The" 5 etc.  :duh:

Scrapheap

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 11:15:38 AM »

They habitually take more than their fair share

That's because the L.A. department of Water ond Power has been corrupt ever since its creation with William Mulholland as its superintendent. The story of L.A. in the twentieth century has been a story of greed and subterfuge.

Scrapheap

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »
And Southern Californians incorrectly refer to highways as "The" 8, "The" 5 etc.  :duh:

HEY!! what's "incorrect" about that?? :moon:

I live near the 101, and it IS the 101! :razz:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »

HEY!! what's "incorrect" about that?? :moon:

I live near the 101, and it IS the 101! :razz:

Then why don't you change your avvie to 'The 395' then?

Fucking stupid if you ask me. And I know you'll say you didn't, but stiff shit.

At least we in Oz use their proper names.

Scrapheap

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »
bump!