Author Topic: If you had a lot of money to blow right now...  (Read 2292 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: If you had a lot of money to blow right now...
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2010, 04:29:48 PM »
I'd rebuild our house.

Why does it need rebuilding?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2010, 04:36:41 PM »
I would want to live in a place where the nights are still dark. 

So, a house in an area without street-lights, without huge amounts of traffic and without background light from other things.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2010, 04:41:14 PM »
I'd rebuild our house.

Why does it need rebuilding?

I'd like to make it bigger, improve the soundproofing and isolation, and we need a more modern kitchen.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

richard

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2010, 03:55:54 PM »
i'd buy a house so i would never have to pay rent again, then i'd probably get serious into card collecting the old stuff like ty cobb, christie matthewson and mickey mantle stuff

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2016, 06:07:39 AM »
  I'd like to have a house in Telluride, and maybe another in Ripon, UK.  8)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2016, 09:45:51 AM »

So, a house in an area without street-lights, without huge amounts of traffic and without background light from other things.
Second that. When I lived in MA I lived in places with no streetlights, and in FL we had one on the whole street, around the corner. You could walk out and see stars. I followed Orion until we moved here.
It was also quiet since the houses were off the beaten track.

I would also go to Florida and buy a 1991 Toyota Camry (preferably white) with a sun/moon roof, air conditioning and luxury seats. One of the best cars I ever owned. You could put a million miles on those things and fix anything that went wrong yourself.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2016, 01:54:13 PM »

I grew up in a place like that. I like a little bit of light.

SO's trailer up in the woods is like that, creepy dark...so dark you run up to the door at night because bigfoot is hiding in the trees waiting to drag your ass off into the woods and eat you.

Yes I do still use a night light.  :LOL:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2016, 03:22:29 PM »

I grew up in a place like that. I like a little bit of light.

SO's trailer up in the woods is like that, creepy dark...so dark you run up to the door at night because bigfoot is hiding in the trees waiting to drag your ass off into the woods and eat you.

Yes I do still use a night light.  :LOL:

I grew up with darkness. Loved it. No curtains closed when I went to bed. If I couldn't sleep, I could see Orion move. Only 'disturbed' by the lights of cars passing by. But those were cool too, making patterns on my ceiling.

Never saw more shooting stars than when I was a kid. I love the dark.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »
Let's put in a skylight - it's awesome when it snows and you can hear it falling on the skylight - when it's done you can see moonshine marking the patterns in the snow. For Py I would also build a couple of climbing walls - one inside and one on one of the outside walls of the house.

and just because i am geeky i would buy repair insurance for the house in addition to all the other kinds they make you buy.

how much money are we talking about, anyway?
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2016, 08:22:54 PM »
how much money are we talking about, anyway?

A lot.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2016, 05:53:54 AM »
In that case I am going to buy more land and build a retreat center with full amenities.

Rough outline:
It will be a hike in center with a restricted handicap accessible (via atv) road.

I'll have cabins around a main center where there will be conference rooms, a video theater, a listening room and small meeting rooms. The area will be large enough to handle 50 to 100 people - no more than that tramping around in the woods (there will be marked trails). It will be open year round with some rooms reserved for individuals or very small groups and the rest available for larger groups.

There will be an exercise room, a small indoor pool and a hot tub. Might add a sauna later.
In addition to housekeeping staff there will be counseling staff, a concierge and a business manager with good social and business skills. There will be kitchen staff for larger meetings and a smaller private kitchen available for individuals.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2018, 06:56:01 AM »
A nice big lot of land (10 acres or more) west of Redmond.

I'd build a big shop building and an energy efficient house on it.

Then I'd just play with my toys, drink beer and smoke some dank.  :stoned:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2018, 04:32:39 PM »
Telluride? isn't there a gold mine round those parts? IIRC the name comes from their being a natural gold telluride mineral in the region, that was easily smelted down.

I  would get my own place, somewhere with a large garage, and a shed like the one we have now, only I'd upgrade the machine shop, I'd love a large scale 3D printer, one of the ones that can print in titanium, build a laser spot welder, would love a CNC lathe and CNC milling machine; currently got an old capstan turret lathe, pre-WWII, was an antique when my old man got it as an apprentice, and he's a pensioner now. Setup entirely manual, adjusting screw stops for setting the tool cutting depth. Stil, it works,  and once past the pain in the arse setup its lovely to use.

I'd kit myself  out  with a MIG welder (actually thinking of buying one, I could save up, within my price range), and use the power supply to power a homemade plasma torch.

Plus I'd get somewhere with space to fit some HUGE fucking great electromagnets, to build  an isochronous cyclotron, something I've wanted to do for ages, plus  space for the hefty quadrupole and sextupole magnets for focussing the particle beams  for the experiments I want to try out,

In particular, I really want to obtain a radioisotope that ONLY has electron capture as its sole means of decay, and excite it to a Rydberg matter state.
In Rydberg atoms, the electrons are excited to higher and  higher energy levels, eventually to the extent where the electron cloud 'sees' the nucleus of the atom as a point charge. I want to try exciting such an electron-capture radioisotope of an element to a Rydberg state, because I want to find out if the radioactive decay could be halted, by more or less, dragging off the electrons so far that they become isolated to the extent that electron capture becomes impossible.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2018, 05:02:17 PM »
Large property like a farm with out buildings with some frontage on a well traveled road for an antique barn
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2018, 02:37:42 PM »
I'd love a large scale 3D printer, one of the ones that can print in titanium,

I hadn't heard they were making those now. I'd imagine it would have to be a sealed unit contained inside an argon purgebox. Whenever Ti gets heated up to melting temperature, it has to be in an oxygen free environment.

currently got an old capstan turret lathe, pre-WWII, was an antique when my old man got it as an apprentice, and he's a pensioner now. Setup entirely manual, adjusting screw stops for setting the tool cutting depth. Stil, it works,  and once past the pain in the arse setup its lovely to use.

Is that a benchtop model, similar to one of the Hardinge chucker lathes??

The first production lathe I ever ran was a British made Automatic Accuratool like this one.