Author Topic: nOOb seeks advice!  (Read 625 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: nOOb seeks advice!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 03:38:28 PM »
Well, you should always accept your antivirus software's updates (that is, if you know that the updates are from them) but it is conceivable that they caused this. It happens, unfortunately. If that is the case, they will most likely push out a fix before long.

As for toolbars and such: remember that many of these companies offer a toolbar of some sort when you install for the first time. Doesn't mean you need it, only that they struck a deal with Yahoo or someone else.

In the meantime, try installing Firefox if you don't already have it. See if the problem goes away. Then you'll know that it's an IE/Windows problem.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 03:39:45 PM »
Well, you should always accept your antivirus software's updates (that is, if you know that the updates are from them) but it is conceivable that they caused this. It happens, unfortunately. If that is the case, they will most likely push out a fix before long.

As for toolbars and such: remember that many of these companies offer a toolbar of some sort when you install for the first time. Doesn't mean you need it, only that they struck a deal with Yahoo or someone else.

In the meantime, try installing Firefox if you don't already have it. See if the problem goes away. Then you'll know that it's an IE/Windows problem.

So far everything is working fine. I have heard I can try Firefox without uninstalling IE, I just don't want to disrupt anything.  :chin:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 03:45:43 PM »

So far everything is working fine. I have heard I can try Firefox without uninstalling IE, I just don't want to disrupt anything.  :chin:

You won't. You can run as many browsers as you like and the only thing that will happen is that they'll all want you to choose their product as your default browser, which basically means that their software is used whenever you click a link.

You won't disrupt anything, though. See it as a second opinion - if IE misbehaves, give Firefox a try and vice versa.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 03:46:50 PM »

You won't. You can run as many browsers as you like and the only thing that will happen is that they'll all want you to choose their product as your default browser, which basically means that their software is used whenever you click a link.

You won't disrupt anything, though. See it as a second opinion - if IE misbehaves, give Firefox a try and vice versa.

Excellent! I will try when I have more time!  :thumbup:

People forget.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »
Tell us how it worked out when you have. :)

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 03:52:02 PM »

Thank you, I will!  :viking:

Thanks to all the people who saved me from getting conned out of $99!

People forget.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 04:19:01 PM »

Thank you, I will!  :viking:

Thanks to all the people who saved me from getting conned out of $99!

You can now treat us all to something nice in the what are you drinking thread, with the money you just saved.  :tea: :fiveshots: :wine: :beergrin: :beer: :whatthe: :scotch: :coffee:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 04:21:04 PM »

Usually you will have an option you can uncheck to not install them, seems like every program you get comes bundled with the damn things.

Last computer the neighbor found curbside had a bunch of adware and 5 toolbars running in IE, only a year or so old, but it was slowed down with all that crap on it to the point that someone just obviously got fed up and tossed it.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 04:28:05 PM »

Usually you will have an option you can uncheck to not install them, seems like every program you get comes bundled with the damn things.

Last computer the neighbor found curbside had a bunch of adware and 5 toolbars running in IE, only a year or so old, but it was slowed down with all that crap on it to the point that someone just obviously got fed up and tossed it.

I'm fed up with them. I always uncheck them. Don't understand why they are there to begin with, especially when they come bundled with AV software (AVG comes with the Yahoo toolbar if I recall correctly).

- Albert Einstein