Author Topic: 30 minute storm  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: 30 minute storm
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2010, 12:21:23 PM »
Last summer I was driving down the highway one day and saw a strange storm.  The entire sky was clear, not a cloud in the entire sky except for one small cloud, maybe a mile wide (looked like 30 feet wide from the ground) and this cloud had a severe thunderstorm.  It was a hot humid and windy day, but this was really weird.  There were lightning bolts every few seconds, I even saw a radio tower get struck.  The flashes inside the cloud were all over the sides and top.  I pulled over and watched it for a while as it slowly moved across the sky.  I got off the highway and went to a pharmacy to buy a disposable camera, but when I came out of the store, the storm was nowhere to be seen.  I drove for miles in the direction of where I saw the cloud, and ended up finding the ground soaked from heavy rain, but no storm anywhere.  The area of wet ground ended abruptly at one point where it was soaking wet with puddles everywhere, and ten feet away the ground was bone dry.

I now carry a digital video camera in my glove box just in case I see anything like this again, but I mainly use it for videoing trains.

Anybody ever bother you about that?  I have always liked taking photos of bridges, trains and other infrastructure I have yet to be bothered but I have noticed lots of people watching me and have been informed by the police that you can't take photos inside the New Haven Train station anymore pity it is very nice
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

P7PSP

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2010, 06:31:44 PM »
Last summer I was driving down the highway one day and saw a strange storm.  The entire sky was clear, not a cloud in the entire sky except for one small cloud, maybe a mile wide (looked like 30 feet wide from the ground) and this cloud had a severe thunderstorm.  It was a hot humid and windy day, but this was really weird.  There were lightning bolts every few seconds, I even saw a radio tower get struck.  The flashes inside the cloud were all over the sides and top.  I pulled over and watched it for a while as it slowly moved across the sky.  I got off the highway and went to a pharmacy to buy a disposable camera, but when I came out of the store, the storm was nowhere to be seen.  I drove for miles in the direction of where I saw the cloud, and ended up finding the ground soaked from heavy rain, but no storm anywhere.  The area of wet ground ended abruptly at one point where it was soaking wet with puddles everywhere, and ten feet away the ground was bone dry.

I now carry a digital video camera in my glove box just in case I see anything like this again, but I mainly use it for videoing trains.

Anybody ever bother you about that?  I have always liked taking photos of bridges, trains and other infrastructure I have yet to be bothered but I have noticed lots of people watching me and have been informed by the police that you can't take photos inside the New Haven Train station anymore pity it is very nice
That sucks.

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2010, 07:06:14 PM »
It depends on where you go, the platforms at busy stations are patrolled by security or have surveillance cameras, and they can't understand that photography is an art, they see someone with a camera and the first thing that comes to their mind is terrorist.  The cops aren't that bad, but transit cops and security guards will jump at the chance to be a hero to protect the public from someone before bothering to see if that someone is actually a threat.

I mainly stop in nice areas along the line.  I'm not just trying to get trains, but trains against interesting backgrounds.  My favorite locations are old bridges where I can get a freight train crossing over a river with the woods behind it, things like that.  Most people who photograph trains tend to just focus on shooting the locomotives, but I like to get as much of the train in the picture as possible.
Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.

richard

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2010, 12:27:52 AM »
ahem, i live in arizona we are famous for the monsoon of america. its like a cow peeing on a rock

P7PSP

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »
It depends on where you go, the platforms at busy stations are patrolled by security or have surveillance cameras, and they can't understand that photography is an art, they see someone with a camera and the first thing that comes to their mind is terrorist.  The cops aren't that bad, but transit cops and security guards will jump at the chance to be a hero to protect the public from someone before bothering to see if that someone is actually a threat.

I mainly stop in nice areas along the line.  I'm not just trying to get trains, but trains against interesting backgrounds.  My favorite locations are old bridges where I can get a freight train crossing over a river with the woods behind it, things like that.  Most people who photograph trains tend to just focus on shooting the locomotives, but I like to get as much of the train in the picture as possible.
I took pictures at Heathrow Airport and the nice people with automatic weapons left me alone.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2010, 08:14:29 PM »

I took pictures at Heathrow Airport and the nice people with automatic weapons left me alone.

You must look very trustworthy!  :2thumbsup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

P7PSP

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »

Yes, 4 eyed dorks don't look like a threat.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2010, 08:21:30 PM »

Yes, 4 eyed dorks don't look like a threat.

Little do they know...  :ninja:

People forget.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2010, 04:30:05 PM »

We had one last night.

I lost about an eight inch in diameter branch off one of my flowering peach trees.  It actually broke off from the main trunk.

The only good news I can make from this terrible natural event is that next year this wood will have cured well and it will make some amazingly delectable smoke for outdoor cooking.  I expect to have a waste high, triangular stack of wood, about two feet thick, from this massive branch.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »

We had one last night.

I lost about an eight inch in diameter branch off one of my flowering peach trees.  It actually broke off from the main trunk.

The only good news I can make from this terrible natural event is that next year this wood will have cured well and it will make some amazingly delectable smoke for outdoor cooking.  I expect to have a waste high, triangular stack of wood, about two feet thick, from this massive branch.

Glad that's all the damage you got and that you can see a positive in in
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »

Me too.

I always seek the more forward, but I am only so powerful.

Thanks for kind words.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »

We had one last night.

Glad that's all the damage you got and that you can see a positive in in

:agreed: You seem not to waste anything. Hope the barbecues will be delicious!

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2010, 09:02:56 PM »
We lost both of our peach trees 5 years ago  :violin:  , but have ever present memories of them because of the fruit flies that were carried in on the fruit.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2010, 09:09:28 PM »
We lost both of our peach trees 5 years ago  :violin:  , but have ever present memories of them because of the fruit flies that were carried in on the fruit.

Sorry about your trees, but...the flies are still there after 5 years?!  :laugh:

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »
Yep, it seems they last longer than taxes. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: